Mega Trip PTR Part Eight

KICoasterGirl

Day Eight July 9th: Six Flags Great Adventure

When we got to Great Adventure we parked and then headed into the park.

20100709-IMG_2782.jpg

As we drove into the parking lot we all screamed, "I see coasters!" as we always do when we come to a park.

20100709-IMG_2781.jpg

Great American Scream Machine from the parking lot.

20100709-IMG_2783.jpg

Great Adventure has really nice scenery! Say hi to Bugs!

20100709-IMG_2784.jpg

As we entered we saw a sign telling of GASM's last day.

20100709-IMG_2785.jpg

Instead of a running of the bulls they walk you back to the rides. As we were walking back we snapped a shot of the Character Cafe, this building sits under a huge sundae!

IMAG0397.jpg

20100709-IMG_2791.jpg

Kingda Ka was our first ride of the day! This will also be our first ride on Ka due to its being down when we were here last year.

IMAG0398.jpg

Adam and I waiting to be launched vertically 456 feet at 128 miles per hour!

IMAG0399.jpg

After Adam and I got off it started sprinkling right as Katy and Dad were getting on the train so they waited over half an hour before riding. After waiting a few minutes I went to find my mom and the two of us went and rode Rolling Thunder since she hadn't ridden it yet.

20100709-IMG_2871.jpg

Rolling Thunder is the racing coaster in the center with El Toro on the right and Ka on the left. My mom and I rode in the front row on the right side and had a good ride. Even though this coaster is credited with the nickname of Rolling Dumpster I actually like this coaster, it doesn't have much airtime though or anything too notable about it but it is still a good ride! We went to the left side next and sat in the back row then we got a reride! Even though we could have gotten another lap we went down to the entrance where Dad, Adam, and Katy were waiting and we told them that it was much better than I had remembered and that they should give it a try, so we rode the right side with them and then headed to El Toro!

20100709-IMG_2882.jpg

El Toro's sign.

20100709-IMG_2921.jpg

Love this shot!

20100709-IMG_2954.jpg

20100709-IMG_2925.jpg

The pond by El Toro has a lot of ducks and geese!

20100709-IMG_2933.jpg

This goose kept posing for us to take pictures of him, as we were leaving I noticed that some of the other geese were coming over to get their pictures taken too.

20100709-IMG_2918.jpg

Runaway Mine Train's station as well as the sky ride station.

IMAG0404.jpg

Bizarro is a great floorless coaster and some of the special effects are really cool! My favorite parts are the corkscrews that go around the misters.

IMAG0406.jpg

Bizarro, like New England's, has audio, so once again Bizarro Number One Bizarro, Bizarro, Bizarro, Bizarroooooooooooooo!

IMAG0405.jpg

Bizarro's queue has posters in it that talk about Bizarro and Superman, luckily we didn't have to wait in line since the park wasn't that crowded and both rides were walk-ons!

Since our lockers were soon due to get our stuff out of them we went back to El Toro and got our stuff then went to have lunch at Burger King. When we came back in we headed over to Nitro and put our bag in a locker before getting in line.

20100709-IMG_2908.jpg

Nitro's sign.

IMAG0411.jpg

IMAG0413.jpg

Nitro's lift hill. Nitro is a great B&M Hypercoaster, the helix is very intense (Katy grayed out both times we rode it)

IMAG0415.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

Next up was Batman the Ride! Though this one is good my favorite is still Over Georgia's.

IMAG0418.jpg

The three ladies riding Road Runner's Railway. We rode Skull Mountain and Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train before going back to Nitro's lockers. Both are fun family coasters.

20100709-IMG_2963.jpg

20100709-IMG_2895.jpg

The boardwalk area of our great adventure which has a bunch of games and trashcans on it.

20100709-IMG_2892.jpg

We went over to the Superman and GASM area next. The parachute training center ride offers a great view of the park!

IMAG0427.jpg

Katy, Mom and I learning how to parachute, not really just taking a ride at the training center.

Next Mom, Dad, Katy and I rode Superman Ultimate Flight, Mom liked this coaster, and then all of us rode Great American Scream Machine. Adam, Daddy and I rode GASM twice and both laps were great, this coaster was my 150th last year. As a sort of memorial to GASM I will add a bunch of pictures of it:

20100709-IMG_3074.jpg

It's sign with the lift hill in the background.

20100709-IMG_3106.jpg

The double loop without the train.

20100709-IMG_3155.jpg

The double loop with the train going through it.

20100709-IMG_3140.jpg

One of the loops.

20100709-IMG_3190.jpg

20100709-IMG_3210.jpg

Corkscrew.

20100709-IMG_3217.jpg

I like this shot, too bad there wasn't a train coming.

20100709-IMG_3209.jpg

GASM's photo booth.

20100709-IMG_3216.jpg

Now we head into the Golden Kingdom to see some tiggers!

20100709-IMG_2987.jpg

Only Katy and my Mom had seen this show last year, so it was a must for us this year. This curtain covers the stage while you wait.

20100709-IMG_2998.jpg

20100709-IMG_3001.jpg

20100709-IMG_3004.jpg

The orange tiger performing some basic skills. I love tigers!

20100709-IMG_3013.jpg

During the show they explain how they train the tigers as well as some facts about tigers.

20100709-IMG_3016.jpg

Showing how tigers can jump.

20100709-IMG_3033.jpg

Tigers are very tall animals!

20100709-IMG_3010.jpg

A guest from the audience gets to go up to feed the tiger.

20100709-IMG_3015.jpg

20100709-IMG_3056.jpg

20100709-IMG_3052.jpg

At the end they get to play with inflatable toys.

After watching the show we went to Kingda Ka and my mom was going to ride, we ended up having some locker issues and breakdowns so long story short, my dad and Adam went to GR and we got exit passes for two rides. We went and rode Kingda Ka, my mom and I rode in the back seat! In our opinion Kinda Ka isn't as good as Dragster, even though the launch does feel more powerful but the rest of the ride rattles. Also, the theming of Dragster adds to the ride. After getting a lap on Ka we went and rode El Toro twice going through the empty queue before we used our exit passes for the last train of the night!

20100709-IMG_3225.jpg

These topiaries at the front of the park as we were leaving were really cool!

Since my mom wasn't a big coaster junkie when we went last year we rode all fourteen coasters. I can now say that I rode 14 coasters on my 14th birthday! Thanks a ton to my mom and dad for a great Birthday! (Oh and a belated thank you to those on here for the birthday wishes! smile.gif)

Ride Info

El Toro is a very good coaster! It is packed with a ton of airtime and is super smooth, definitely my number two wooden coaster! Last year they were stapling me every single lap but this year I wasn't stapled once!

Kingda Ka is a good coaster but it is shakier than Dragster and overall Top Thrill Dragster is better.

Rolling Thunder, in my opinion, is not a rolling dumpster at all! I think I like the left side better than the right.

Nitro is a great hyper, the helix is very intense and the ride is full of airtime!

Batman the Ride is a very intense inverted coaster.

Dark Knight is a mouse in the box coaster with some neat theming and the preshow is also very cool! (Plus there's a surprise at the end!)

Bizarro is a great floorless coaster with audio and some neat special effects!

Superman Ultimate Flight is a B&M flyer that is much better than Firehawk, in my opinion. Katy says that Firehawk is way better though, in her opinion.

Great American Scream Machine was a good Arrow Looper and I am truly sad to see it gone.sad.gif

Good Eats

We didn't eat anything but we did get a drink cup, these come in handy when it is hot out, and it can get EXTREMELY hot in Jackson, New Jersey

Rides We Rode

• El Toro
  • Rolling Thunder
  • Parachute Training Center
  • Dark Knight Coaster
  • Kingda Ka
  • Batman the Ride
  • Nitro
  • Black Beard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Skull Mountain
  • Great American Scream Machine
  • Superman Ultimate Flight
  • Bizarro
  • Road Runners Railway
  • Runaway Mine Train

Thanks for a fantastic trip report (but the place to ride Ka is the FRONT seat of a car...the backs will darn near rattle your teeth out!).

Terpy, who's been waiting on this one, and you did it good! :) (and who now is even more...uh...park sick than he was...) :)

Thank you, and yes the front was MUCH better than the back!

Again, great trip report. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I'll try!

And of that she can be justly proud. A Trooper Mom in her own way... :)

Yes, and not only has she ridden Ka but she has also ridden Dragster and Maverick (front row) and likes both of them!

This is definitley a Mega Trip! The most parks I've been to in a week were Disney World and Sea World, and that's it. :)

Yeah it was! In my opinion WDW counts as 4 parks and Sea World is one so that would be five, that is still quite a lot of parks and rides! smile.gif

I always love reading your family's TR! I'm glad you guys had fun!

Thank you and we did have a blast on this trip!

Guest Millennium

Great PTR, and don't tell me you went on the 18th! I went then also. I Loved the park too of course. And it was beautiful in sections. One thing I thought was weird was how far apart Bizarro was from the rest of the coasters.

A lot of great pictures, I love ones of all the tigers! Great landscaping at Great Adventure from the looks of it.

Thanks! Great Adventure does have some nice landscaping.

Great PTR, and don't tell me you went on the 18th! I went then also. I Loved the park too of course. And it was beautiful in sections. One thing I thought was weird was how far apart Bizarro was from the rest of the coasters.

Thank you! No, we were there the 9th. Runaway Mine Train is not too far from it either, and it has a flume ride next to it and a show.