A group of people jump you, in line...

Coney Islander

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been to Magic Mountain, but when I lived in California, it had a reputation of having a gang problem. Not something I would want to handle alone-tell security who can have the cops throw them out if you can get to them.

If they have that big of a line jumping problem, sounds like the thugs have gained control. Never approach a group on your own-that could end badly.

Guest rcfreak339

I'm a person who doesn't really like to stir the pot but I will say something if I don't like what your doing.

Just the past week after a big rain a 16-19 year old girl ran right beside me and jumped in this huge puddle while I was taking a picture. I turned around and said "Come on, you REALLY had to do that?" All she did was give me the blankest stare.

I'm a person who doesn't really like to stir the pot but I will say something if I don't like what your doing.

Just the past week after a big ran a 19 year old ran right beside me and jumped in this huge puddle while I was taking a picture. I turned around and said "Come on, you REALLY had to do that?" All she did was give me the blankest stare.

Yeah, that happened to me too-I was pretty honked

i ignore them, while trying to not let them pass.

you'd be amazed at how many get angry because you won't let them in front of you.:rolleyes:

also, two sundays ago while in line for Diamondback, whoever was running the height check station at the rides entrance kicked a group of around five, out of line because of them letting their friend get in line with them.

Many of you will probably disagree with me but I think the biggest mistake you can make is to verbally confront the line jumper-you may be risking a physical confrontation which is a risk of yourself or someone else getting injured or yourself being ejected from the park for fighting-no ride is worth it. I think the best way to handle the situation is to say nothing until you get to the ride station, then quietly tell a ride associate and let them handle it. Unless you have a witness willing to back you up, however, there is probably nothing that can be done.

Line jumping in my opinion is a problem that will only be solved by putting security/police in the line queues. Saturday 7/31 was a particularly horrible day for line cutting. I expressed my concerns to Greg Scheid, the park general manager. The next weekend, I did notice that there was security posted at the DB area- I don't know if my complaining had anything to do about it.

My conclusion: The more that we demand of the top brass that they take line jumping as a serious security issue, the greater the chance of action being taken. Talk to any supervisor you can find and tell them your feelings-you don't have to yell, just talk to them.

I'll either ignore them or follow markr's advice and tell a ride op when I get to the station. Normally nothing happens, but sometimes it does.

Also, although I've complained about KI line jumping in the past. I found my experiences at other parks this year interesting.

• At Cedar Point - there seemed to be a genuine fear of getting kicked out of the park if you line jump. Significantly reduces it.
  • At Knott's Berry Farm (and even Legoland) - it seemed like standard practice and made Kings Island look well controlled. Must be those Californians :D

The absolute worst line jumping I have ever seen occurred two places:

* [Then Six Flags] Elitch Gardens. The entire park was infested with out of control malcontents, and there were several fights. I was never so happy to leave a park in all my borned days...

* [Paramount's] Great America, Santa Clara, California. It really seemed fewer people stood in line and waited than line jumped. Guards ignored the jumpers. There was even a well worn path to shortcut the line for Demon. Now that's sad.

I say something :lol:

Sorry but if I have to wait to ride , so do you. They're nobody special. I'm usually really aggressive with them too. I'm always like "What are you doing", usual reply is "Going to meet our friends" Or "I had to use the restroom and we're trying to get back to our group" my response is always "too bad go to the back of the line" usually I'll say this loud to draw attention. From there its my group vs either a group of teenagers or like 2 teens, IF there's an adult with them, I usually target them first cause they're adults they should know better. My goal at this point is draw attention too this and have other people yell(works) then this gets the workers and then by this time I have more then enough witness's to get these line jumpers thrown out.

When someone after going through all the DB queues jumps into the single rider line when the single rider line is to the bottom of the stairs, I don't say anything but laugh to myself at the goofball for being stupid enough not to realize he just made his wait longer. I don't say anything to the ride attendant because I think the longer wait is punishment enough.

When someone after going through all the DB queues jumps into the single rider line when the single rider line is to the bottom of the stairs, I don't say anything but laugh to myself at the goofball for being stupid enough not to realize he just made his wait longer. I don't say anything to the ride attendant because I think the longer wait is punishment enough.

The worst case I've ever experienced was at our own Cedar Point. (The following information is given for factual reference only, and it does come full-circle in the end. I'm the farthest thing from a racist you could find.) A group of friends and I were in line for Mantis (which, as you all know, moves at a snail's pace anyway. One young African American kid excused himself through the line, claiming he had friends up ahead. He then stopped between two groups that did not recognize him and stood by himself. Within minutes, a group of a half-dozen rather large, rather intimidating African American men did the same, passing by everyone in line to "reunite" with their friend who had cut a few moments before. This all happened in line behind us, so we were still ahead of this group.

In other words, the group had sent forward a "scout" to get as far as he could in line without anyone saying something, and then they simply said "Oh, we're with him" and made their way towards the front. I'm sure they skipped at least twenty minutes of wait time.

My dramatic, high school friend who always says what everyone else is thinking (you know the type) waited for the ride and, upon entering the station, told the person with the height stick. He directed us towards the ride operator, who directed us to the ride supervisor. She listened to our story, sunglasses over her eyes, a stern look on her face. She had us point out the group, who was just making it up the stairs to the station by time we were talking to her. She thanked us.

Nothing happened.

We waited at the exit and watched as they walked away, having enjoyed their virtually wait-free ride at everyone else's expense, laughing and hollering about how short the line was. We saw them again a few hours later.

Basically, it was frustrating. If my group of friends had done it, and the supervisor had been alerted, we would have gotten our just desserts. But no one (including any security guards?) saw fit to approach this group of intimidating African American men simply because they might've actually had to step outside their comfort zone (which is yelling at scrawny caucasian "punks" who are afraid of them). There was a double standard that day, because it was simply "easier" to let it slide. But I can guarantee that if a group like my own had tried the same stunt, we would've gotten much worse.

I have always tried not to let them pass. But last year, I became more vocal about confronting line jumpers. This led to two particularly uncomfortable situations (one at KI, one at Sesame Place... of all places!) that could have ended violently if I didn't let it drop as quickly as I did. So this year I have gone back to just not letting them pass.

What I do if I see a line jumper approaching me from behind is I'll put a hand on each queue rail. I'm big enough that they usually won't try to pass me when I do that. In the rare instance that say something to me, I'll tell them they need to get to the end of the line.

And like markr, when I see someone in the DB line go to the SRL that's at the bottom of the stairs, I just quietly laugh to myself.

I'll never forget one employee once when I was in a line for a ride at KI. One Kid cut to the front of the line to meet his friends. The employee yelled to the whole line and said. "Is everybody ok it this kid cuts all of you?" A lot of people yelled no, and the employee threw him out. I think this was BLSC.

Most of the time, I just LOOK at line jumpers. But, on a day like I'm having today, I would vocally confront them and demand that they be removed. Being 6" 4" and 290 pounds, they usually don't argue with me and usually they wouldn't have tried to jump the line in the first place - but I can get in one of my "moods" (or as my mother would say, a "phase") and I will not tolerate jumpers, even if they are in a group, and I won't feel bad if I mess-up their day 'cause getting angry at someone/something that is not right certainly will not mess up mine. (Furthermore, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and I am now an expert security guard!)

Most of the time, I just LOOK at line jumpers. But, on a day like I'm having today, I would vocally confront them and demand that they be removed. Being 6" 4" and 290 pounds, they usually don't argue with me and usually they wouldn't have tried to jump the line in the first place - but I can get in one of my "moods" (or as my mother would say, a "phase") and I will not tolerate jumpers, even if they are in a group, and I won't feel bad if I mess-up their day 'cause getting angry at someone/something that is not right certainly will not mess up mine. (Furthermore, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and I am now an expert security guard!)

I got that one!! biggrin.gif

If I accidentally separate a group while entering a line, I'll let the people behind me go to their group.

If someone is trying to get through with water on an extremely hot day, I'll let them by. I've seen far too many people pass out in line for rides and have to be taken away by first aid.

There are times when if it's just one person, I really couldn't care less.

However..

A group of people line jumping will undoubtedly tick me off.

If one or more people rudely shove past me, I yell EXCUSE ME and politely tell them where the end of the line is. If their response is "My friends are up there" (which 95% of the time it is), my response is "If they were really your friends, they would have waited for you." That always gets them thinking for a second, and it's hilarious to see the look on their face.

The worst case I've ever experienced was at our own Cedar Point. (The following information is given for factual reference only, and it does come full-circle in the end. I'm the farthest thing from a racist you could find.) A group of friends and I were in line for Mantis (which, as you all know, moves at a snail's pace anyway. One young African American kid excused himself through the line, claiming he had friends up ahead. He then stopped between two groups that did not recognize him and stood by himself. Within minutes, a group of a half-dozen rather large, rather intimidating African American men did the same, passing by everyone in line to "reunite" with their friend who had cut a few moments before. This all happened in line behind us, so we were still ahead of this group.

In other words, the group had sent forward a "scout" to get as far as he could in line without anyone saying something, and then they simply said "Oh, we're with him" and made their way towards the front. I'm sure they skipped at least twenty minutes of wait time.

My dramatic, high school friend who always says what everyone else is thinking (you know the type) waited for the ride and, upon entering the station, told the person with the height stick. He directed us towards the ride operator, who directed us to the ride supervisor. She listened to our story, sunglasses over her eyes, a stern look on her face. She had us point out the group, who was just making it up the stairs to the station by time we were talking to her. She thanked us.

Nothing happened.

We waited at the exit and watched as they walked away, having enjoyed their virtually wait-free ride at everyone else's expense, laughing and hollering about how short the line was. We saw them again a few hours later.

Basically, it was frustrating. If my group of friends had done it, and the supervisor had been alerted, we would have gotten our just desserts. But no one (including any security guards?) saw fit to approach this group of intimidating African American men simply because they might've actually had to step outside their comfort zone (which is yelling at scrawny caucasian "punks" who are afraid of them). There was a double standard that day, because it was simply "easier" to let it slide. But I can guarantee that if a group like my own had tried the same stunt, we would've gotten much worse.

If I'm understanding you correctly, then there isn't really anything the ride op could have done. In order to kick someone out of line for line jumping there need to be two groups complaining. I will usually give a general ''line jumping is not tolerated'' line to the people that were accused if there was only one person or group accusing them.