A group of people jump you, in line...

Coney Islander

Oh, a ride op at DB saw two people go from the single Rider lane to the regular lane, and he said, go to the end of the line. So they hopped the rails back to the SR line, and he said, No, to the back of the line. So they walked to the back of the SR line. He said, NO. THE BACK OF THE LINE! AT THE ENTRANCE. They were not happy, but he said thank you! And everyone stared at them and applauded.

:)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst case I've ever experienced was at our own Cedar Point...

If I'm understanding you correctly, then there isn't really anything the ride op could have done. In order to kick someone out of line for line jumping there need to be two groups complaining. I will usually give a general ''line jumping is not tolerated'' line to the people that were accused if there was only one person or group accusing them.

So company policy is that people can cut in line without punishment as long as no more than one group complains?

Either you need to re-read your employee manual, or they need to re-write the employee manual.

It depends on the situation.

Moderate to severe line jumping: People in my group have guts and will say anything to anyone.

Impatient line jumpers: Use a physical approach. While waiting for FoF, we stopped the line from entering the already packed station. A group of teens cut some people and slid past us to the back of the train. We noticed they were now heading for the front (our intent) so I turned sideways and put my hands on my hips making a physical barrier. The determined leader did not get the point, so she tried plowing through me like we were at a concert. At that point, I just walked to the front (ahead of them though) and my sister couldn't resist calling her out.

Light line jumping from young kids: Usually ignore; don't want crazy mothers screaming in my face. Example: Yesterday at Soak City a young girl cut two people (my sister and I) for a slide. Because she was so young and didn't know better we let it go. A few weeks before while waiting for Calypso at CP two young girls behind us walked in front of us when the ride op opened the gate. Again, they were young, and we got on the same ride anyway.

Impatient line jumpers: Use a physical approach. While waiting for FoF, we stopped the line from entering the already packed station. A group of teens cut some people and slid past us to the back of the train. We noticed they were now heading for the front (our intent) so I turned sideways and put my hands on my hips making a physical barrier. The determined leader did not get the point, so she tried plowing through me like we were at a concert. At that point, I just walked to the front (ahead of them though) and my sister couldn't resist calling her out.

Dragster's station is the worst when it comes to that. So is Magnum's station toward the front. I always kindly ask people which seat they are waiting for.

In order to kick someone out of line for line jumping there need to be two groups complaining. I will usually give a general ''line jumping is not tolerated'' line to the people that were accused if there was only one person or group accusing them.

There is just something ironic about telling someone who just got away with line jumping that it is not tolerated.

With all due respect to anyone on this board who works at KI that does not tolerate line jumpers, it seems to me that Kings Island is far more lenient about the situation than Cedar Point is..

At CP, I have witnessed on several occasions: security physically removing line jumpers, and employees at several rides having zero tolerance for line jumpers (refusing to let them re-enter no matter what the reason, firmly insisting that they go to the end of the line and re-enter properly). I've actually witnessed a Power Tower ride op grab the phone and call security when a line jumper refused to follow her orders. It makes me feel good to go to a park where I can be confident that the employees follow the rules, and do their job.

At KI, when someone line jumps and either an employee or security catches them, the line jumpers argue and argue with them and they are let back in line. What is that all about? Why do they let the line jumpers argue with them? Why do the employees and security guards not stand their ground? That doesn't just tick off the enthusiasts. I've seen GP get angry with line jumpers on several occasions at different parks. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a line jumper at KI actually removed from the line.

Just something I've noticed..

Employees do what management expects of them, or, put another way, employees will go as far in enforcing management policies as they are given support in doing so. Cedar Point is serious about line jumping. Six Flags, too. Kings Island?

The line employees I do not question. They try. Almost to a person...

But smoking policies, line jumping policies...it seems pretty clear these are not major priorities for Kings Island (or Carowinds) management. If they were, the park would be run more like Cedar Point and Six Flags and less like...well...Kings Island (and Carowinds).

And before four people jump in to tell me/us about the times they have seen the line jumping policy and/or smoking policy enforced at Kings Island, remember, the most important thing in enforcing policy is consistency. And that doesn't mean telling a line jumper who just got away with it that line jumping is not tolerated. Nor does it mean doing nothing even a substantial minority of the time...

If I am waiting in line, I will confront the line jumpers and drag the people behind me in line into the confrontation. Example: A group line jumps in front of me. I ask them what they are doing, get lame excuse. I then say, "We have been waiting for X minutes, and you just want to skip that?" I then turn to those behind me and ask, "Do you think that's right?" Normally, this will start a mob mentality, and the line jumpers will scamper away, foiled in their attempt to skip line.

When I was a ride op from 02-03, the policy was that two people from separate groups had to witness the line jumping, then we could take action. This was to prevent people from just saying, "They cut!" and having them removed from the line.

Reminds me of a story. Back in 02, I was working on SOB one day, and we had this report of two line jumpers for the front row. Well, our policy on SOB was to wait until they were at the front, about to get on the ride, then kick them off. It was just easier that way. Well, they made it to the front, I told them that we had people complaining of them line jumping, and they had to leave the line. They refused and sat down in the car. So we called security, told them the situation, so security came to the ride, the two line jumpers still refused to leave. Security called Mason Police, where they were cuffed and sent to the station to a thunderous applause from those in the station.

Not to jump on the bandwagon but I also agree that under Paramount's Kings Island (Like Interpreter said, not CBS), was when I saw line jumping policy being enforced, not once under Cedar Fair have I seen anything done about people cutting in line, not saying it hasn't EVER been enforced, but what I've experienced and I've been to the park quite a few times this season, I have never seen anything done about line jumpers and I've seen plenty of them. Under Paramount it was different.

Now two quick examples to back up these claims...

This year, while in line for Diamondback, I was right at the spot where the worker assigns you your seat, when the worker told the single rider line which spot to go to, two girls walked out and went to a different row than asked, the worker watched them and did nothing. That's probably the most blatant example I have, but I've got much more.

Rewind back to 2003, waiting in line for Tomb Raider. We were getting close to the inside portion of the line when the group of people in front of us let 5 more of their friends in line with them (we had already been waiting a good half hour to get to that point in line). Well, as luck would have it an employee was walking by and saw it happen, he went up told them they had to get out of line, to which they responded "We're just meeting up with our friends." The employee said their friends could stay in line but they had to get out, they argued, the employee told them he'd call security, they then left the line, followed by the rest of their group about 5 minutes later. Everyone else in line were very happy with this result.

It would be nice to see this kind of commitment to enforcing these rules return to the park. It really does a lot for guests to know that the park cares about their experience and is going to do what they have to to make sure it is a good one, as opposed to people thinking that the park couldn't care less about line jumping, etc.

I remember the line jumping situation being bad during both the Paramount and the CBS years. During the Paramount years the midways used to be a mess on crowded days because they rarely filled up the line queues for such busy rides as Beast-they would let the lines snake out all the way to the midways even on crowded Saturdays. I recall that making the line cutting situation worse. Maybe my memory is fuzzy but I recall enforcement of line cutting policy being very lax during those years.

Guest Millennium

With all due respect to anyone on this board who works at KI that does not tolerate line jumpers, it seems to me that Kings Island is far more lenient about the situation than Cedar Point is..

At CP, I have witnessed on several occasions: security physically removing line jumpers, and employees at several rides having zero tolerance for line jumpers (refusing to let them re-enter no matter what the reason, firmly insisting that they go to the end of the line and re-enter properly). I've actually witnessed a Power Tower ride op grab the phone and call security when a line jumper refused to follow her orders. It makes me feel good to go to a park where I can be confident that the employees follow the rules, and do their job.

At KI, when someone line jumps and either an employee or security catches them, the line jumpers argue and argue with them and they are let back in line. What is that all about? Why do they let the line jumpers argue with them? Why do the employees and security guards not stand their ground? That doesn't just tick off the enthusiasts. I've seen GP get angry with line jumpers on several occasions at different parks. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a line jumper at KI actually removed from the line.

Just something I've noticed..

I've noticed the exact same thing. Your KI description is pretty much identical to what happened to me. Waiting for the single line to open last Saturday, a woman cuts from the exit into the SRL without the employee seeing. I tell him, the employee does nothing, and she gets to go to the top of the line. At the top, I tell the employee directing you to go to seats, and she asks if we all saw this woman line jumping. Everyone says yes and I take her spot in line. The woman whines and whines and she gets to go right behind me.

The comic, Gallagher, once suggested that people be allowed to shoot suction cup arrows at cars who are driven by bad operaters - then, when they have several arrows accumulated on their cars, the police can stop them and give them a ticket for being an idiot. Maybe something like this could be done to line jumpers?

...Hank, just thinking out loud, but not promoting firearms.

I've got a great one. Last month, my friend and I were waiting in the DB queue. I young girl behind us says "excuse me " in a real sarcastic tone. We ignore her. She says "excuse me " again. My friend asks what she wants and we hear the usual, wants to catch up with her friends. My friend calmly explains to her the prohibition against cutting in line. She responds, believe it or not, " I work here." She ends up getting ahead of us and catching up with her "friends" ( Like Angie, I use that term loosely since, I agree, real friends would wait for you before getting in line.) At the station, we told the ride attendant that this girl cut in line and claims to work at the park. It turned out that this girl did work at the park in food service. I think the attendant called her supervisor. We saw that she was not allowed to ride. As to any disciplinary action, we don't know what happened. As far as I am concerned she should have been fired.

I don't know if anybody's said this, but this is one of my opinions on line jumping. I HATE when there's people that get out of line (the other lets say two people stay in line) and then they come back 5 minutes later, cutting everybody. I know there's his family there, but still...just don't get out line. It's like the saying when you get up out of a seat: You move your feet, you lose your seat.

I've got a great one. Last month, my friend and I were waiting in the DB queue. I young girl behind us says "excuse me " in a real sarcastic tone. We ignore her. She says "excuse me " again. My friend asks what she wants and we hear the usual, wants to catch up with her friends. My friend calmly explains to her the prohibition against cutting in line. She responds, believe it or not, " I work here." She ends up getting ahead of us and catching up with her "friends" ( Like Angie, I use that term loosely since, I agree, real friends would wait for you before getting in line.) At the station, we told the ride attendant that this girl cut in line and claims to work at the park. It turned out that this girl did work at the park in food service. I think the attendant called her supervisor. We saw that she was not allowed to ride. As to any disciplinary action, we don't know what happened. As far as I am concerned she should have been fired.

*gasp* Oh, wow... I wonder how they found out that she actually did work at the park... no, she he wouldnt... but she must have... wow.

*gasp* Oh, wow... I wonder how they found out that she actually did work at the park... no, she he wouldnt... but she must have... wow.

I guess the attendant asked her and she admitted to it. I thought it was pretty stupid of her in the first place to say to us she worked at the park as an excuse to cut in line. I must say we did get a nice laugh out of that.

This year I have seen actual uniformed employee's go to a food stand and order food. I have seen a rides employee walking through Rivertown and stop and talk to a buddy at the basketball thing and shoot some baskets. I see girls walking around the park practically naked in swim suits. Nothing is ever done about these things however when I have said something to a ride op about line jumpers they always take care of it without there being two parties to confirm it.

It's a shame, too. SeaWorld Parks, Universal and Disney all let you know right off The Bat, that smoking outside of designated smoking areas is not permitted, and anyone seen doing so will immediately be asked to leave the park without refund. The real kicker? They actually follow through with that promise. And guess what? For the first couple weeks, a lot of people get kicked out. After that, fewer and fewer do, because they understand that it's more than a threat, it's real. And soon, people behave.

Theme parks, after all, are not public property. There are rules and regulations one agrees to upon entry, and the park has every right to remove guests who disobey their requirements. Rights come with responsibilities. If you want the right to remain in (and enjoy a fun day with friends at) Busch Gardens, your responsibility is to stand in your place in line and wait your turn fairly. If you ignore your responsibility, you lose your right. Simple as that, at most amusement parks. At Kings Island, not so much.

GYK, who has never seen a bikini-clad woman walking around Disneyland, though I'm sure there are those who have tried (and do not try anymore).

I feel like you guys do but I have to admit sometimes I am a bad line person. I have been known to hop out of line (while my family/group) is in line, and bring back 4 or 5 waters. I never do this if the ride is in the que stations but if its lined out past that (FOF in its older great popular days) I will.... please dont stone me, I just dont want my family dead.... lol