New looping coaster?

hosscat

I'd like a B&M

Yes, they could call it "Cookie Cutter"....:)

I'd rather have 5 very good cookies.

Then why would you want a B&M? God forbid we get something like Vortex or Intrimadator at Carowinds, Superman, Ultimate Flight at SFGAd, or Great Bear.

Or god forbid we get something like Diamondback, or Kraken, or Dragon's Challenge, or Raptor, or Dominator, these are just the ones I've ridden!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They dispatch those rides so fast... There were times when the train was ready to go, all checked, and they had to wait as the operator tracked the train already on the course, coming over the loudspeaker and saying "Approaching drop... On holding brakes... Approaching block... Annnnndddddddd ALRIGHT enjoy your ride on the mythical wings of Griffon!" etc because the train was ready to go before it was able to be launched. I feel like, at Kings Island, there would physically be no line after the first week of operation because they're so efficient. One operator to check each row you just walk right down and go "check check check check check" ten times and in one fell swoop you've checked half the train.

I was impressed with their quick dispatch. I was there last Friday and the longest I waited was 30 minutes for the front seat of Griffon. This was with the line extending to the entrance while only running two trains. Apollo's Chariot was in the same situation with having to wait for the train to clear a block. Like Griffon, AC was only running two trains.

They dispatch those rides so fast... There were times when the train was ready to go, all checked, and they had to wait as the operator tracked the train already on the course, coming over the loudspeaker and saying "Approaching drop... On holding brakes... Approaching block... Annnnndddddddd ALRIGHT enjoy your ride on the mythical wings of Griffon!" etc because the train was ready to go before it was able to be launched. I feel like, at Kings Island, there would physically be no line after the first week of operation because they're so efficient. One operator to check each row you just walk right down and go "check check check check check" ten times and in one fell swoop you've checked half the train.

I was impressed with their quick dispatch. I was there last Friday and the longest I waited was 30 minutes for the front seat of Griffon. This was with the line extending to the entrance while only running two trains. Apollo's Chariot was in the same situation with having to wait for the train to clear a block. Like Griffon, AC was only running two trains.

Yes! That's the day I was there! It must've been "corporate is here to see how things are going" day... I can't imagine a park being that perfect for real, one day after another... What an incredible place (a topic for later). Haha.

Kings Island could definitely use something "unique" and marketable. I don't even know if a B&M Invert could do it. How about one of the new B&M X-Raptor things or whatever? An Intamin Wingwalker? An Intamin launched coaster?

I have said for a few seasons now that it would be a worthwhile investment to give us a few flat rides (maybe even a suspended top spin) and an Intamin twisted impulse coaster running parallel to Coney Mall. Highly marketable, compact additions that could get us 3 or 4 rides for $22 million or less. Not a bad deal!

I don't think they havehad many unique things being added in the last 5 years.

Paramount did a much better job on that

EX - Italian job -

Diamondback is a good coaster but I know i've ridden the exact same ride at other parks, very unoriginal.

I would love to see a B&M invert hyper coaster. Alpengeist at BGW is just 5' short of being a hyper so it is with in the realm of reality.

Absolutely 100% what I want.

At KI where several world's firsts and such have happened, first hyper invert please.

GYK, you make good points about theming. Though CF has shown they can theme... I for one think TTD is themed very well, and if it weren't for the excellent theming, and "i'm in a dragster" feel of it, the ride wouldn't be as cool. But its one of the only cases I know of Cedar Fair doing such elaborate theming.

But I wouldn't think it would be a big deal to have 2 B&M coaster's over 200ft. After all BGW has both Apollo's Chariot and Griffen!

Wicked Twister is a hyper invert!

It's not full circuit. People always recognize Magnum as the worlds first hyper, but there was a shuttle coaster that was built before it that went 200 feet. If KI built a B&M invert over 200 feet, people would recognize it as the first.

There's such mumbo-jumbo discrepancies over "hyper coasters" that it's ridiculous. They must be between 200' and 299'11" and have a chain lift and an out-and-back layout and no inversions and airtime hills and... blah blah blah. And then, after all that, if you want a coaster that fits those descriptions, you'll have to call B&M and ask for a mega coaster!

If you ask me (which, no one did) I say that a hyper coaster is a full circuit coaster over 200 feet. I can't say I agree with the no inversion thing, because I consider Son of Beast a hyper coaster. Now if a ride like Vortex were 200 feet tall, I wouldn't consider it a hyper coaster. A tasteful loop is fine. Six inversions does not a hyper coaster make, in this casual observer's opinion!

If you ask me (which, no one did) I say that a hyper coaster is a full circuit coaster over 200 feet. I can't say I agree with the no inversion thing, because I consider Son of Beast a hyper coaster. Now if a ride like Vortex were 200 feet tall, I wouldn't consider it a hyper coaster. A tasteful loop is fine. Six inversions does not a hyper coaster make, in this casual observer's opinion!

Completely agree.

I'd like a B&M

Yes, they could call it "Cookie Cutter"....:)

I'd rather have 5 very good cookies.

Then why would you want a B&M? God forbid we get something like Vortex or Intrimadator at Carowinds, Superman, Ultimate Flight at SFGAd, or Great Bear.

Or god forbid we get something like Diamondback, or Kraken, or Dragon's Challenge, or Raptor, or Dominator, these are just the ones I've ridden!

So what you and I are saying is that with B&M, we have about a 50/50 shot at getting something decent. ;) But seriously, as long as the hypothetical coaster isn't nearly identical to half a dozen or so other coasters that we've all ridden at other parks, I would be happy!

Whats wrong with B&M? I Think they make the finest steel coasters in the business. If we were to get a new coaster who would you rather have make it? And why does it have to be crazy and unique? Just like the aforementioned Vortex, there's little unique about it other than the track layout, but there still to this day are a million arrow mega loopers out there.

Really? In North America, off the top of my head, I can think of only 15...and I doubt there are even half a dozen operating in the rest of the world. Where is this million of which you speak?

Terp, who has been carefully watching these coasters disappear one by one...

It really is quite depressing seeing many Arrow creations beginning to dissapear. I really enjoy their suspended models as well as their mine trains, also their mega loopers and traditional coasters are quite stunning and although they are, for the most part rough (gotta love Arrow's transitions), they have a nice "classic" look to them. Cedar Fair seems to be the main park operator that has kept from removing any of its Arrow coasters (as far as I know). Also, doesn't Cedar Fair have the majority of the remaining Arrow suspended coasters?

Yes. 75% of the remaining suspended coasters, I believe... (technically, there is a fifth, but it operates with Vekoma trains), and for whatever reason, is usually left out. The only four traditional suspended coasters left are Ninja (Six Flags Magic Mountain), Flight Deck (Kings Island), Vortex (Canada's Wonderland) and Iron Dragon (Cedar Point).

I am one of those people who is not a fan of Arrow's megaloopers. I do not care for Vortex at Kings Island. I know it's got history and uniqueness and all that jazz, but I guess I can't appreciate it the way I should. And on some days, it's "sister" at Kings Dominion fares even worse. Though on my most recent trip, I'd have ridden Anaconda ten times before I'd step on Vortex. I find it painful, boring, and terribly laid out.

However, I have to admit - no one makes a mine train like Arrow did. They're a bit rickety, some awful transitions, and (for some, at least) uninspired layouts. But they're nothing if not unique, and I haven't ridden any other manufacturer's version that are comparable (which is both good and bad). It's so strange now that Arrow is "out of the game" and such... From whom will new parks get their mine trains? Vekoma? It's just not the same.

Though I don't care for many of their models and certainly wouldn't place them in my top 5 best designers in the field, Arrow had an integral role in the history of roller coasters, produced some incredible rides, and innovated in a lot of ways that have not been beat since.

Yes. 75% of the remaining suspended coasters, I believe... (technically, there is a fifth, but it operates with Vekoma trains), and for whatever reason, is usually left out. The only four traditional suspended coasters left are Ninja (Six Flags Magic Mountain), Flight Deck (Kings Island), Vortex (Canada's Wonderland) and Iron Dragon (Cedar Point).

I am one of those people who is not a fan of Arrow's megaloopers. I do not care for Vortex at Kings Island. I know it's got history and uniqueness and all that jazz, but I guess I can't appreciate it the way I should. And on some days, it's "sister" at Kings Dominion fares even worse. Though on my most recent trip, I'd have ridden Anaconda ten times before I'd step on Vortex. I find it painful, boring, and terribly laid out.

However, I have to admit - no one makes a mine train like Arrow did. They're a bit rickety, some awful transitions, and (for some, at least) uninspired layouts. But they're nothing if not unique, and I haven't ridden any other manufacturer's version that are comparable (which is both good and bad). It's so strange now that Arrow is "out of the game" and such... From whom will new parks get their mine trains? Vekoma? It's just not the same.

Though I don't care for many of their models and certainly wouldn't place them in my top 5 best designers in the field, Arrow had an integral role in the history of roller coasters, produced some incredible rides, and innovated in a lot of ways that have not been beat since.

I love Arrow Mega loopers but I do believe they are showing their age, and I can understand why many people don't like them. They are so rough they make even the roughest woodies look smooth, the trains are very uncomfortable, and the transitions quite frankly suck. That being said I love Vortex to death and have a lot of sentimental value in it, and I'll literally be in tears the day they tear it down!

It was my first major steel coaster, and the day they announce they are tearing it down, I'll be sure to plan a trip out to KI To ride it all day as many times as possible! Before Diamondback, it was my favorite coaster and it was always a minimum of 3 times per visit. In many ways it shows how spoiled we are by modern coasters, because I used to not even think of it as being very rough...and then Cedar Fair built Diamondback, and ruined it for me lol!

Launched Arrows would be no big deal in this day and age. I have ridden them many times...the bigger experience on those was the going backwards to return...and even the going upside down. Few got excited about the launch.

And Cormaster, I understand where you are coming from. The Great American Scream Machine demolition in New Jersey has affected me far, far more than I ever thought it would. It is the Arrow multi-looper that I have certainly ridden more than any other...and I will miss it terribly. And this of a coaster that quite proudly sported its parking lot heritage!

Guest Millennium

How so...?

Indoor Launched Coaster

Flying Coaster

Hyper Coaster

Mega Looper

Mine Train

Suspended Coaster

Longest Wooden Coaster in the World

Old Fashioned Wooden Roller Coaster

Wooden Hyper Coaster

Inverted Coaster

Inverted Boomerang

Seems like we have variety to me!

I'm talking builders. Not ride types...

We have 3 Arrow Coasters, and 3 Vekoma Coasters. And yet we have 0 Intamin? I'm not complaining about our coasters. They are top notch, but we do need some diversity among company's.