Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom

Plankton

I've visited the park probably four or five times this year, mostly just to relax on the recliners where the waterski stadium used to be. It's a decent park for what it is. Too bad that Phase II never happened...

Oddly, near the beginning of the year when the park was really crowded, there were piles and piles and piles of tubes in the corrals near the attractions, and empty ones EVERYWHERE in the lazy river (to the extent that my two friends and I might be the only ones within our stretch of the lazy river, but we were in a "traffic jam" of sorts with empty tubes). The last two times I've gone (which have been Wednesdays) the park has been absolutely dead, and yet, as you said, people have had to hand off tubes at the exit of attractions. I don't know if many tubes have just been damaged as the year has gone on or what...

A waterpark in Northeast Ohio? As an add-on to a popular theme park, sure. But stand-alone? At some point they'll likely have the same revelation that SeaWorld had - what's the point? The park gets maybe four months of operable time each year (mid-May to mid-September, if that). It's much-toted Phase II expansion, set to open in 2006, never did. Today the park has one slide complex, a Tornado slide, a wave pool, and a kids play area. Meanwhile, what happened to the slides that were left at Six Flags' Hurricane Harbor across the lake? Are they still there? Were they scrapped? Because they would do a world of good right now.

I can't honestly see it still being around in 10 years. I imagine that, at the time, it was more of a way to let the people down slowly - yeah we closed half the park, but now we have a fantastic water park! Then a few years later they can silently shut that. In other words, it looked good in press releases to say that, although the theme park was closing, it wasn't the end of 100+ years of history, because the water park would remain open.

It's a shame, too. The Wildwater Kingdom side had the waterpark, Shamu's Happy Harbor nets, a couple of little flat rides (yoyo swings, a Pharaoh's Fury, etc) a motion simulator, a waterski stadium, and a 4-D theater, all of which continued to operate when Cedar Fair owned the park. Why would they be removed? Why can't you have a waterpark that makes use of the 4-D theater or the motion simulator or a kid's climbing net structure? No money was saved in removing them, but if they had kept them, maybe they could charge $5.00 more per ticket. No big deal, and it would've really made a difference by the end of the year.