What is that black stuff on the lap bars?

Keysersoze

Hey all,

Me and a friend of mine have been season pass holders for 5 years now. When we first started doing the Kings Island thing the lap bars on the wooden coasters were all bright orange, after about 5 years of Cedar Fair the lap bars look horrible. We used to joke with each other how Ceder Point's lap bars were nasty with this black mold looking stuff on it, now all of are's here at Kings Island look that way. What is causing that, do the spray the lap bars with something, or is it something I really don't want to know about?

Eh, the lap bars on The Beast look awful.

The way the "black stuff" is, I doubt that it's just the paint wearing off. It's in spots, which makes me think it's some kind of growth (mold, moss, ect). The same stuff will grow on your deck if you don't treat it properly. Remember that the trains are out in the rain often, and are exposed to the moisture and outside elements all season. Some look cleaner than others, which make me think that they replace them one by one rather than all at once.

I had been thinking that the spots covering the lap bars on many of the coasters was grease; grease, that is used to lubricate the joints and hinges of the lap bars. I just figured that the ride mechanics were dripping grease on the lap bars and no longer gave it any thought to try and clean it off.

However, if it really is dirt/mold, then that is pretty disturbing.wacko.gif

Think about it. The rides are outside, many many people ride them everyday with dirty hands and they grab on to the bars which grinds it in more. Think about your home. It gets dirty correct? Dust particles, sweat and more causes crude. I am sure it is not grease from the maint. men...lol... Also think about a car. If you never ever washed it it pretty much would look like crap after a few years. Do they clean them like they should? Prolly not.

Think about it. The rides are outside, many many people ride them everyday with dirty hands and they grab on to the bars which grinds it in more. Think about your home. It gets dirty correct? Dust particles, sweat and more causes crude. I am sure it is not grease from the maint. men...lol... Also think about a car. If you never ever washed it it pretty much would look like crap after a few years. Do they clean them like they should? Prolly not.

You know, I never really thought about that, and it does seem very logical. Cedar Fair may keep the park grounds clean, but when it comes to the rides, eh......

Now that you mention it, look throughout the park at some of the rides. Look at Delirium and all of the dirt and grime building up on its ring and lever arm, look at the supports for rides such as Invertigo and Flight Deck, the supports close to the queue, they are covered in grime, spit, and what not.

The side rails on beast have even gotten pretty Wrigley lately.