[SOB] Does anyone have...

Cody

Picture's of when the first helix collapsed during testing(or during construction)?

If memory serves me correct SOB had an accident with its first helix. I'm trying to remember if the train became derailed or if the part of the helix collapsed(damaged).

I knew there were such pictures on PKI Unlimited ,but it seems I have lost pictures since I reformatted my pc, anyone who has these photos I would be very thankful if someone could post those. Thanks

~Rumor Smasher~

I don't have any pictures, but here is my memory of an event you might be referring to:

During construction, workers would build some sections flat on the ground, "prop" them up with temporary supports, then permanently attach it to the rest of the structure (a typical wood framed house is constructed in a similar manner). The temporary supports are not necessarily effective under heavy wind.

During the winter while Son of Beast was being built, a windy storm blew through and knocked over one such section. I think it happened overnight (few or no workers present), and I don't recall any injuries. There may have been a fine though. This happened long before completion and test runs, so there was no derailment.

I don't have any pictures, but here is my memory of an event you might be referring to:

During construction, workers would build some sections flat on the ground, "prop" them up with temporary supports, then permanently attach it to the rest of the structure (a typical wood framed house is constructed in a similar manner). The temporary supports are not necessarily effective under heavy wind.

During the winter while Son of Beast was being built, a windy storm blew through and knocked over one such section. I think it happened overnight (few or no workers present), and I don't recall any injuries. There may have been a fine though. This happened long before completion and test runs, so there was no derailment.

For some reason I think there were two events that I'm meshing together, If memory serves me correct SOB has derailed(or something comparable to this) on the helix before(but I'm trying to remember exactly when)

On another Note I think you're correct about the storm part, but I'm pretty sure the helix collapsing led to RCCA getting the "boot" off the project.

edit: called some old friends after I made this topic. but yet none of them can get me pictures. So I still need pictures :)

The only thing I rembember about derailment was the accident in 2006, where it jolted because of the suport beam breaking. Other than that I have no clue.

Im very aware of that incident but I remember there being 2 incidents, both with the first helix....

I do remember shopping with my wife at the outlet mall between Cincy and Columbus and the wind was horrible, this was during construction of SOB. When we arrived home, I heard on local news that there was a partial collapse of SOB(I believe in was the lift hill?) Is this the time you guys were talking about, not sure what happened exactly?

There were two incidents involving the rosebowl, or first helix:

During construction, a wind storm came through and knocked the partially built second hill down. The temporary supports were not strong enough to endure the high winds (I think they were in excess of 60MPH) and failed, causing the hill to collapse.

The second incident involved a support beam breaking internally, causing a 8-12 inch depression in the track on the entrance drop into the rosebowl, causing 28 injuries and the removal of the loop to allow lighter rolling stock onto the ride.

I'm thinking that you may have had pictures of SOB during its testing. Year after year, in order to break in the wheel bearings, each coaster has to undergo a certain number of cycles. Since the bearings initially have a ton of friction, maintenance personnel would ride on the ride and give it a gentle push (hop out of the car during the cycle when the train starts to putter going up hill, push it over the hump, and jump back in) to allow it to complete the cycle. SOB's trains were extremely heavy, and would sometimes valley in the rosebowl regardless of how much you pushed.

I'm thinking that you may have had pictures of SOB during its testing. Year after year, in order to break in the wheel bearings, each coaster has to undergo a certain number of cycles. Since the bearings initially have a ton of friction, maintenance personnel would ride on the ride and give it a gentle push (hop out of the car during the cycle when the train starts to putter going up hill, push it over the hump, and jump back in) to allow it to complete the cycle. SOB's trains were extremely heavy, and would sometimes valley in the rosebowl regardless of how much you pushed.

I know this does not have anything to do with the topic at hand but how would they get out if the restraints were locked?

I know this does not have anything to do with the topic at hand but how would they get out if the restraints were locked?

There is a physical lever that you have to push and it releases the retrains, its on every car. It's also just about standard on any roller coaster train. Some old ones(Cedar Creek Mine Ride) use this leaver instead of computers to lock and unlock the riders still to this day.

There is a physical lever that you have to push and it releases the retrains, its on every car. It's also just about standard on any roller coaster train. Some old ones(Cedar Creek Mine Ride) use this leaver instead of computers to lock and unlock the riders still to this day.

I see thanks I know they have those I just didn't even cross my mind.

I see thanks I know they have those I just didn't even cross my mind.

This explains the little holes/openings on the back of the cars on Adventure Express.

During construction, a wind storm came through and knocked the partially built second hill down. The temporary supports were not strong enough to endure the high winds (I think they were in excess of 60MPH) and failed, causing the hill to collapse.

The second incident involved a support beam breaking internally, causing a 8-12 inch depression in the track on the entrance drop into the rosebowl, causing 28 injuries and the removal of the loop to allow lighter rolling stock onto the ride.

Are you saying people jumped out of the train as it approached the top of a hill, push the train over the crest, and get back in while it's starting to accelerate down the hill? I'm not saying you're lying, but I'd have to see that to believe it!

Are you saying people jumped out of the train as it approached the top of a hill, push the train over the crest, and get back in while it's starting to accelerate down the hill? I'm not saying you're lying, but I'd have to see that to believe it!

Go on you tube and watch The Beast test video-its about 6 odd minutes long. If you look closely, you will see workers standing to the sides of the tracks as the train goes by after the second drop. Things were different then, and I believe it.

The windstorm knocking down the section of the rose bowl is a perfect example of why it should be torn down. It's just not "right". I don't advocate removing any coaster-except this one.

The windstorm knocking down the section of the rose bowl is a perfect example of why it should be torn down. It's just not "right". I don't advocate removing any coaster-except this one.

i have to disagree with this statement, the reason the section collapsed wasn't because of a poor design, it was because it wasn't completed before a windstorm hit.

the structure has to be decently solid, it's stood through many tremors with no problems.

Ok, let me clear up maintenance runs:

During a maintenance run, maintenance personnel sit in the cars with the restraints up (in order to start a ride, the restraints must be locked) and ride the coaster. They DO NOT jump out at the bottom of the hills, they jump out when the train starts to slow down past a speed in which the train would make it over a hill. This is done because the wheel bearings need wear and tear on them to run to perfection, and the extra weight in the cars helps break them in faster. So no, they are not jumping out a 70+ MPH, normally they jump out when the train is around the 5-10MPH range.

As for the loop on SOB, the way it is designed is to pin you back into the seat, therefor the maintenance personnel were in no danger while riding.

It's not as fun as it sounds...and it is not done on certain rides...such as El Toro...

Also, ride operators cannot start most rides unless the restraints are engaged at most parks. Maintenance can, but does so only with great care.

Terp, who often borders on saying too much (and who wonders how many have seen the maintenance man leaning over the front car of Thunderbolt at Kennywood, greasing the track)

During a maintenance run, maintenance personnel sit in the cars with the restraints up (in order to start a ride, the restraints must be locked) and ride the coaster. They DO NOT jump out at the bottom of the hills, they jump out when the train starts to slow down past a speed in which the train would make it over a hill. This is done because the wheel bearings need wear and tear on them to run to perfection, and the extra weight in the cars helps break them in faster. So no, they are not jumping out a 70+ MPH, normally they jump out when the train is around the 5-10MPH range.

That is truly incredible. And borderline insane. :o;)

It's not as fun as it sounds...and it is not done on certain rides...such as El Toro...

Also, ride operators cannot start most rides unless the restraints are engaged at most parks. Maintenance can, but does so only with great care.

Terp, who often borders on saying too much (and who wonders how many have seen the maintenance man leaning over the front car of Thunderbolt at Kennywood, greasing the track)

They let him ride without a partner? That it self would be interesting to see.