Height requirement change on Monster?!?!

ebajane

Okay, my husband and I are pretty much freaking out right now. Our son's FAVORITE ride in the whole park is the Monster. We have Gold passes and have been to KI at least 12 times this summer, and the Monster is all our little guy talks about. He has had a 36 inch wristband all year, and we're doubtful that he'll hit 40 inches this season, although he is getting close. He has always been able to ride the Monster with a parent. Today I was browsing the KI website, and it appears that they may have changed the height requirement for the Monster to 40 inches. Can someone confirm for me whether this is really the policy now, and why the mid-season change? I do NOT look forward to explaining to my toddler that he cannot ride his favorite ride anymore, even though he has ridden it 30 times already, as recently as a few weeks ago on our last visit! Someone please say it isn't so!

I'm not sure if this is a true change in the height requirement, someone else will need to verify that, but I can help with why it happened...

There are many factors that go into changing a height requirement on a ride mid-season. Insurance, manufacturer recommendations/requirements, (sometimes due to an incident with a similar model at another park), etc. This is also not the first time that this has happened at KI. When I was working there the height requirement for The Racer went from 44" to 48" in the middle of the season.

I know it can be frustrating and hard to explain to your son, but just be sure to not take it out on the ride ops when you are at the park as they have no say in what the height requirement is set at. It's hard for a younger child to understand, but the change is to make the ride safer for those who ride it.

Oh don't worry, we would never give the ride ops a hard time about it, it's not their decision! That's why I want to confirm for sure what's going on before we get to the park so we can hopefully get the tears out of the way before we get there and not have to go up to the ride at all if he can't ride it.

Thanks! I called the park, and it seemed like I knew a lot more than the person I talked to on the phone. (She was very nice though.) She couldn't even find anything other than the 46" to ride alone height. Eventually, she did find something that said 40 inches, so it looks like it has changed. So I guess we just have to feed the little guy his veggies and hope he makes 40 inches soon!

The prior restriction was no hand held infants, but no minimum height to ride with a responsible person. The rider safety guide (downloadable online) and park map show this. The website clearly states a minimum height now so it does look like it has changed.

I can't find anything on the park's website that says minimum 40" for Monster. On the ride page it just has the 46" to ride alone and the Height Guide page says the same. I know it's been a few days since anyone's posted in this topic, so if it was truly on the park's website at one point, maybe it was an error that the park has since fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

It was definitely there and is definitely fixed now. I think we can say case closed.

Agreed. It must have just been an error. It was definitely listed as 40" on the website that day, and also wherever the person at the park who answers the phones looked for her info. (I thought she said she was getting a park map to look at.) But when we got to the park that same day, there was no change in the height requirement of the ride according to the signage. It is still 46" to ride alone, but no minimum height with a responsible person. My son had a great trip as always, including a ride on the Monster. The information has since been corrected on the website. Case closed. Thanks for your input everyone!