New at KI in 2011

BavarianBeatle

well Cedar Point's def. getting something announced tommorrow too, according to their facebook page and all the clues seem to point towards a star flyer. Who's to say they aren't building a whole fleet of these similar to Paramount and the Drop Towers?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet we are getting that StarFlyer they where fighting over before. Since the StarFLyer can't work really well at CP why not just send it to KI instead and avoid all the legal troubles?

I thought of that too. But would they put similar rides at CP and KI in the same year? Makes the CP announcement even more intriguing....

I too was surprised to read this on Cincinnati.com. Very brief notice, and not much build up like Cedar Point has been doing.

I highly doubt that Cedar Point and Kings Island will be getting similar types of rides for next season. I can see, however, Knott`s, Kings Island and Canada`s Wonderland getting the same style/type of ride.

The other question will be where will this new ride be located at? I could see it going in at the far end of Coney Mall, near where the EuroBobble is, since that area of the park has not received any new attractions in quite some time and could use some upgrades. I could also see an addition being made to X Base (with hopefully some restrooms), if the new attraction is a flat ride and has a lower height requirement than 54" (what both Flight of Fear and Firehawk have).

Sudden anouncement FTW! This "Wind Seeker" looks like it would be an amazing new ride for 2011. Or we could see SOB overhauled, and grow bigger than DB, but that wouldn't really change the skyline since SOB is already clearly visible:

l_9a21bb1a141c4bf4ac0aad468c0d7c07.jpg

So, in theory, what they are saying is whatever is it is the new ride SHOULD be visible from that angle, since Diamondback is (look to far right side)? Sweet!

More news from Cincinnati.com here: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100823/NEWS01/308230049/Kings-Island-to-unveil-tallest-ride

The article includes a quote from Mr. Don Helbig stating: "The only thing I can tell you is that it will stand taller than Diamondback,” Granted, Diamondback is not the tallest ride in the park (The Eiffel Tower and Drop Tower hold those records). So will this new ride be taller than those two attractions? This pretty much confirms the type of ride though! And all this news definitely came out of nowhere today!

I bet we are getting that StarFlyer they where fighting over before. Since the StarFLyer can't work really well at CP why not just send it to KI instead and avoid all the legal troubles?

i was thinking the same thing.... especially with the sudden announcement, and the multiple parks rumored to receive such a ride.... its possible Cedar Fair was stuck with a few extra super tall swing rides and had to throw them in places. haha if we become the benefactor of this mistake, i for one will not complain.

still hoping for a sky swing though...

But by that logic, could said ride be replacing what was originally planned for KI?

At any rate, its nice to see that KI will be receiving a new attraction. I just hope that it does not come at the loss of an existing classic ride. I`d hate to see another case of the Flying Eagles...

As I said earlier, I would highly doubt that both KI and Cedar Point are going to receive the same new ride for next year. It just wouldn`t make much sense since part of their markets overlap. It would make sense if Knott`s, KI and Canada`s Wonderland got copies of the same new ride and Cedar Point got something different. I guess we will find out for sure in a little over 24 hours.

The Anticipation is killing me! How is it we don't already know more about this? How'd they keep it so hush hush?

Months before Diamondback was unveiled we saw construction, signs giving hints, blueprints, and someone even figured out from the hints the ride was going to be called Diamondback! This time we know nothing!

The Anticipation is killing me! How is it we don't already know more about this? How'd they keep it so hush hush?

Months before Diamondback was unveiled we saw construction, signs giving hints, blueprints, and someone even figured out from the hints the ride was going to be called Diamondback! This time we know nothing!

I wonder if this was a last minute decision from CF?

Now I'm wondering if in fact project 2011 at CP is going to be a coaster while KI is getting the swing ride? If that is the case, kudos to CF for genius in fooling the public. ( PS-just had my 1000th ride this past Friday on Mustang-lol. )

Well HELLO there, sudden announcement out of nowhere with absolutely no hype whatsoever.

I'm totally up for a Wind Seeker or Star Flyer at KI. The only thing is (though I'm not complaining) is that we sort of already have Zephyr, which essentially is the same ride. On top of that, if it went in Coney Mall at all, wouldn't that be kind of silly? It'd be like if CP plopped Power Tower where the carousel is (at the front of the park) but had Demon Drop right next door.

I'm still totally grateful for whatever they add, anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love me some flats at KI; but it would be nice to have something new.

Here a wind seeker, there a wind seeker, everywhere a wind seeker.

I agree with CoastersRZ about the overlapping markets, but you have got to keep in mind these things are cheap, much more so than a coaster. Look at Delirium and MaXair too. I think CF may be viewing the Star Flyer as something that every park should have... not something you drive 8 hours for.

Taller than Diamondback? What could it be? I highly doubt at this point its a coaster unless we're talking about somehow putting an Intamin Giga-coaster in where Son of Beast is, but that would make no sense because if they had an Intamin Giga and a B&M hyper... why would you even bother riding both?

I'm assuming its not a coaster at this point, its gotta be a flat ride... but other than an Intamin Drop Tower (which we already have) what could be taller than Diamondback?

That's like saying why ride Magnum when Millennium Force is just across the park. Or if a park has two woodies, one taller than the other... each is its own individual experience.

I'm assuming since the conference was set the same days as Cedar Point, that both are getting the same ride.. seemingly the WindSeeker

hmmm... how about a twisted impulse coaster? IT could easily be taller than Diamondback and cost less. Someone posted a picture of Wicked twister in another thread, just got me thinking.

Me personally I'd probably rather have a star flyer/wind seeker. But I did enjoy Wicked Twister, much more so than say Invertigo at KI! And on that note I doubt Cedar Fair sees the need to have 2 inverted shuttle's at the park!

The photo of wicked twister was from Tony and Tyler of CP-it was a hint of project 2011 at CP. It was basically a photo of Wicked Twister and the surrounding area, including the beach and the area around DT. I think it is a picture showing the area that the new ride at CP will take up. I think this is a hint that CP is indeed getting a coaster and KI the windsoar ride. I find it hard to swallow that they will install the same or similar rides at both parks. Tony and Tyler also quote the word "whoops" which to me hints that they pulled a fast one on us. I'm probably going to be wrong on all counts as I am not the best predicter of new rides.

Just now getting on KICentral because I was in class when I got the text. Wow, this came out of no where! I'm almost sure it'll be a Starflyer (or whatever the other one was called). I'm excited, but if is one of those you won't see me riding it much, I can't ride rides like Zephyr because they get me sick.

I'm predicting a B&M Invert around 240 feet high

I like the way you think! Seriously probably not gonna happen, but still like the way you think!

Agreed. I want one on par with the pace of Afterburn. I'm not really a fan of Raptor.

I normally just lurk here and had given up hope for a new ride in hopes that we would just get something awesome in 2012. Nothing better than a B&M Invert in my book.

Well color me surprised! I came to work and had this in my email:

ATTENTION:

ASSIGNMENT DESK, NEWS PRODUCERS & EDITORS

*** MEDIA ADVISORY ***

NEW THRILL RIDE FOR 2011 TO BE ANNOUNCED

TUESDAY, AUGUST 24 AT 2:00 PM AT Kings Island

Kings Island will continue to change the landscape for thrill seekers when it announces its new ride for 2011 on Tuesday, August 24 at 2:00pm at the park.

Park officials and ride enthusiasts will be available for interviews immediately following the press conference.

Please contact Kings Island’s Public Relations Department at (513) xxx-xxxx by noon on Tuesday for park clearance.

# # #

I couldn't be happier with such a classic looking and feeling ride in the long-neglected back corner of Coney Mall. The fact that these rides (CP - CW - KI) are all being announced at the same time is enough evidence for me.