New at KI in 2011

BavarianBeatle

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^What do you mean height restrictions? Eiffel Tower & Drop Tower are 315ft. What's the height restriction?

In the preseason, when they did 5@5 on facebook, they answered a question about a 400 foot coaster, with a response similar to, we could never do that due to a height restriction forced by a nearby airport.

Read this thread http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21495&st=0&p=378298&hl=Height%20restriction&fromsearch=1entry378298

According to the report on channel 5, it is going in Coney Mall, and not where SOB is. Also, they mentioned that they are still trying to "smooth it out" so they can re-open it.

Edit: Dang, you guys type fast! :)

Already posted 2 spots up ^^

Thanks, I noticed that after I posted, which is why I edited it.

Guest TombraiderTy

Mr. Helbig said its a thrill ride, so that rules out Star Flyer or Wind Seeker, unless Zephyr and the Eiffel Tower have now become "thrill rides"?

You don't count flying around, three-hundred-plus feet in the air, with only a lap-bar to keep you in a "thrill ride"?

1596.photo.3.jpg

Cause that sounds and looks pretty thrilling to me.

Again I say, I think the people who discredit the "Star Flyer" style ride, are people who have not ridden them. It looks like yo-yo swings, sure. But imagine much faster than any set you've been on, swinging you on your side into the wind, 300+ feet in the air. The height alone is thrilling. For those with absolutely no apprehension about heights (how many of those are out there?), it would still be a fun, unique experience, and cheap for the park, if you ask me...

A swingset in the local park may not have you screaming your head off, laughing, or feeling like you may vomit. Make it a little taller, a little faster, and a little bigger and you've got Skyhawk... And isn't that fun, unique, and oftentimes thrilling? Yes the idea of "plus-sizing" rides sometimes creates rides that are inherently less-thrilling than their "smaller" counterparts (Top Spins, Frisbees). I just feel like taking yo-yo swings, speeding them up, raising them 300 feet in the air and placing it in a picturesque location can't possibly create a poor ride experience.

Mr. Helbig said its a thrill ride, so that rules out Star Flyer or Wind Seeker, unless Zephyr and the Eiffel Tower have now become "thrill rides"?

You don't count flying around, four-hundred-plus feet in the air, with only a lap-bar to keep you in a "thrill ride"?

1596.photo.3.jpg

Cause that sounds and looks pretty thrilling to me.

Flying around? yes. Riding in a circle? Not at all. :) Unless it bounces you around and slams you against the lap bar and makes you feel like you're going to fall out.....

As long as you don't look down, I wouldn't consider this a thrill. It would be better if it went in and out, while spinning, going up and down, very fast. It seems more of a gentle, relaxing ride to get good views of the park. Like a highly upgraded sky ride.

Mr. Helbig said its a thrill ride, so that rules out Star Flyer or Wind Seeker, unless Zephyr and the Eiffel Tower have now become "thrill rides"? And, no one has ever built a Wind Seeker before. Is CF really going to build four prototypes, which may or may not work, at four different parks?

Agreed. Star Flyers/Wind Seekers don't seem thrilling at all, it's just Zephyr 300'+ in the air and faster, but since the size of the 'ring' is wider, the faster speed won't seem as fast (kinda hard to explain but this all makes sense in my head). The only forces you will feel is lateral (barley). Of course the height adds to the thrill but if your not going to drop at a high speed than thats not too thrilling. Honestly, the idea of a Star Flyer/Wind Seeker doesn't make sense. The height attracts thrill seekers but since the ride doesn't do much but spin you in a circle in the air it's not even that thrilling or intense. Since it has low intensity/thrill than it's great for families except for the fact that it's so tall it'll scare away smaller children. So who exactly is this ride for...?

Mr. Helbig said its a thrill ride, so that rules out Star Flyer or Wind Seeker, unless Zephyr and the Eiffel Tower have now become "thrill rides"? And, no one has ever built a Wind Seeker before. Is CF really going to build four prototypes, which may or may not work, at four different parks?

Agreed. Star Flyers/Wind Seekers don't seem thrilling at all, it's just Zephyr 300'+ in the air and faster, but since the size of the 'ring' is wider, the faster speed won't seem as fast (kinda hard to explain but this all makes sense in my head). The only forces you will feel is lateral (barley). Of course the height adds to the thrill but if your not going to drop at a high speed than thats not too thrilling. Honestly, the idea of a Star Flyer/Wind Seeker doesn't make sense. The height attracts thrill seekers but since the ride doesn't do much but spin you in a circle in the air it's not even that thrilling or intense. Since it has low intensity/thrill than it's great for families except for the fact that it's so tall it'll scare away smaller children. So who exactly is this ride for...?

Maybe those bars (edit: the ones connected to the seats, not the lap bars) can rise up to the point that you are swinging upside down at 400 feet.... That would qualify as a thrill ride!

I'll defer judgment on the thrilling nature of the ride until I know what it is and have ridden it.

The simultaneous announcements does tend to indicate a common ride across the various parks. The Star Flyer article does point to Wind Seekers for some parks although potentially not CP based upon the clues (I know I just contradicted myself). It is going to be an interesting wait until we know for sure what this is (thank goodness it's only a day)

I'm surprised Super Fan doesn't know, I'm guessing some on these forums (there are a couple of folks who have been inactive in this thread) do.

I hope that Coney Mall gets a little makeover along with the new ride. While I'd like to see a couple of family flats as well, I'll settle for a "sprucing" up like Planet Snoopy got.

I was excited until I found out there will be four announcements tomorrow for the exact same ride at each park. Sounds exactly like something CBS would do. Too bad KI isn't a flagship park anymore. :( :( :(

EDIT: Wow, didn't know this was my 1,000 post, sucks it has to be a bitter one...

EDIT 2: Lol, I just watched the channel 5 news story with super fan Ryan. Good job buddy! :lol:

Congratulations to Super Fan Ryan Suhr! I love how that news video talks about so many juicy rumors. Like Son of Beast being smoothed out, the ride going over in Coney Mall, they are just fueling this site's SOB topic fire.

EDIT-Scroll down to the bottom of this page to see Screamscape's talk of Kings Island.

If they announce a Wind Seeker/Starflyer type ride I'll be pretty disappointed (but it seems all but certain that that is what is going to be announced). That looks like something I'll ride once just to try and then not go back.

Anything less than a new coaster doesn't seem worth a press conference for. A ride like this would suffice with a quick press release without any suspicion or hype.

So apparently a thrill ride HAS to be a roller coaster now? It can't be a flat ride like Delirium or Drop Zone or even smaller rides like Shake, Rattle, & Roll or Monster? And does this mean it also has to be 200+ feet tall and be made by either Intamin or B&M?

I guess this also means that Drop Zone, Delirium, and Tomb Raider weren't worthy of press releases either, then?

I guess this also means that Drop Zone, Delirium, and Tomb Raider weren't worthy of press releases either, then?

Well, I said a wind seeker isn't worth a press CONFERENCE. But, no, I don't think any of those rides would have been worth a press conference either. Maybe tomb raider with all it's original elaborate theming I've heard about, but not as it is today. Any of those rides could be sufficiently announced with a no frills press release without the drama and suspense we're getting for tomorrow's announcement.

This is obviously just my opinion, and you are welcome to yours, but I think this because none of those rides or the likely wind seeker are the type of ride that is worth making a special trip for. No one will make a trek to KI just for a ride on a wind seeker, or a gyro drop or a spinning frisbee ride (maybe I shouldn't say no one, but I'm speaking generally here) but rides like Diamondback The Beast, Son of Beast, Vortex, etc do inspire such excitement not just with coaster junkies, but lots of the general visitors as well.

The way there is a pre-announcement that gets everyone anxious for a live press conference seems worthwhile for a coaster that people will want to travel far and wide to experience. For a ride that is likely going to also be installed in several other parks, some in the same state, a simple press release sent out today so the news could run a story would suffice.

But many of you seem excited about a wind seeker, and if the suspense is worth it for you, that's great. I just think I'm going to be very disappointed tomorrow.