New at KI in 2011

BavarianBeatle

I like how the top of the one at Knott's has a nice big K on the top. Wonder if Kings Island's will have anything like that or will it look like the one at Wonderland?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a big mural of Snoopy drawn on it.

Yeah that might be a little too much!

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest question for this new ride is where is it going to be? The corner in Coney Mall is neglected but I don't really think you'd be able to see it if it was back there, even if it's taller then Diamondback, seeing as all of the skyline rides are in Rivertown or Action Zone.

Vortex isn't a skyline ride? I can see that pretty clearly from 71 & Kings Island Dr. huh.gif

They are saying it's the Tallest Ride King's Island has ever had?

It's saying that it's going to be taller than Diamondback?

Well what about taller than Drop Tower & Eiffel Tower(315ft)? They are considered "rides", therefore hinting the Tallest "Ride".

I haven't seen anything from the park saying it's "the tallest ride they've ever had." The only thing they've said is it's taller than Diamondback. This to me indicates it's taller then DB, but shorter than ET & DT.

^Well I did write Lance at Screamscape as soon as I got the text message this morning.

So I'm sure it'll be on screamscape tomorrow morning for sure.

I usually tell Screamscape what's happening with Kings Island. Lol

That explains a lot about Screamscape. Thankfully Lance had the good sense to go with what the park said about being taller than DB, and not what you posted about it being the tallest ride they've ever had.

Fox 19 just said on the 10:00 news that they have "reliable information" that it will be either a Star Flyer or a Wind Seeker and that it will fly 100 feet higher than the Eiffel Tower.

Yeah... not gonna happen...

No clue where they got this, but we'll find out tomorrow if they're correct. They must be pretty confident that their source is correct or they wouldn't be airing it.

I wanna know where they got their reliable information!

They probably got it from Firehawkboy.

Mr. Helbig said its a thrill ride, so that rules out Star Flyer or Wind Seeker, unless Zephyr and the Eiffel Tower have now become "thrill rides"?

A Star Flyer / Wind Seeker would be a thrill ride to me. One of my greatest fears is unsupported heights. It began years ago on Zodiac, knowing I was just hanging there by a few chains. Tall ladders also get me, as do SkyFlyer, the two-seater ferris wheels that swing with every little move, and ski lifts. Strap me into any coaster or put me behind bars like Eiffel Tower or CP's Giant Wheel and I'm fine, but if I don't feel secure that's pushing my limits. Wind Seeker would do that to me. But I'll ride it because I love the adrenaline rush of facing that particular fear.

Agreed. Star Flyers/Wind Seekers don't seem thrilling at all, it's just Zephyr 300'+ in the air and faster, but since the size of the 'ring' is wider, the faster speed won't seem as fast (kinda hard to explain but this all makes sense in my head). The only forces you will feel is lateral (barley). Of course the height adds to the thrill but if your not going to drop at a high speed than thats not too thrilling. Honestly, the idea of a Star Flyer/Wind Seeker doesn't make sense. The height attracts thrill seekers but since the ride doesn't do much but spin you in a circle in the air it's not even that thrilling or intense. Since it has low intensity/thrill than it's great for families except for the fact that it's so tall it'll scare away smaller children. So who exactly is this ride for...?

For people like me. Different people have different things that thrill them. I'll happily take your place in line for a Wind Seeker.

So apparently a thrill ride HAS to be a roller coaster now? It can't be a flat ride like Delirium or Drop Zone or even smaller rides like Shake, Rattle, & Roll or Monster? And does this mean it also has to be 200+ feet tall and be made by either Intamin or B&M?

Yes! I love this post!

Well, I said a wind seeker isn't worth a press CONFERENCE. But, no, I don't think any of those rides would have been worth a press conference either. Maybe tomb raider with all it's original elaborate theming I've heard about, but not as it is today. Any of those rides could be sufficiently announced with a no frills press release without the drama and suspense we're getting for tomorrow's announcement.

This is obviously just my opinion, and you are welcome to yours, but I think this because none of those rides or the likely wind seeker are the type of ride that is worth making a special trip for. No one will make a trek to KI just for a ride on a wind seeker, or a gyro drop or a spinning frisbee ride (maybe I shouldn't say no one, but I'm speaking generally here) but rides like Diamondback The Beast, Son of Beast, Vortex, etc do inspire such excitement not just with coaster junkies, but lots of the general visitors as well.

The way there is a pre-announcement that gets everyone anxious for a live press conference seems worthwhile for a coaster that people will want to travel far and wide to experience. For a ride that is likely going to also be installed in several other parks, some in the same state, a simple press release sent out today so the news could run a story would suffice.

But many of you seem excited about a wind seeker, and if the suspense is worth it for you, that's great. I just think I'm going to be very disappointed tomorrow.

Alright! Another person I won't have to wait in a Wind Seeker's line behind! My wait keeps getting shorter! laugh.gif

I really don't think it would make sense if it was in Coney Mall. Because, 1. Zephyr is right next to it, 2. I just don't think that a ride back in Coney Mall change the skyline. I may be wrong, but those are just my thoughts.

Edit: ^ Just read your post. I guess Vortex is a skyline ride. But I do think the ride should belong in Action Zone.

I really don't think it would make sense if it was in Coney Mall. Because, 1. Zephyr is right next to it, 2. I just don't think that a ride back in Coney Mall change the skyline. I may be wrong, but those are just my thoughts.

You don't think a ride that stands over 300 feet in the air will change the skyline? (the 300 feet number comes from the other two announced today!)

Edit: that stands over 300 feet from the ground, not in the air. Thought I should add this, sounds like 300 feet in the air means it is floating in the air haha.

If the ride is in fact 400 feet tall, I think that's tall enough to change the skyline. I'm not too good with perspective, nor do I know how to perceive it, but in my mind a 400 foot tall ride will look taller than everything on the skyline, including the Eiffel Tower.

Coney Mall needs some love. I can't think of any better place to put a new attraction like this. I love the old-time amusement park feel they have in Coney Mall, then you pass the diner and the whole area past Vortex is so deserted.

Gator, you win post of the month in my book!

EDIT to add: I also don't see any reason to really believe it's going over 300 feet.

Coney Mall needs some love. I can't think of any better place to put a new attraction like this. I love the old-time amusement park feel they have in Coney Mall, then you pass the diner and the whole area past Vortex is so deserted.

Gator, you win post of the month in my book!

EDIT to add: I also don't see any reason to really believe it's going over 300 feet.

Well I said over 300 Feet because the other two that were announced were 301 feet, so that is over 300. They also said taller than Diamondback so that fits right in that same range.

Edit: ^ Just read your post. I guess Vortex is a skyline ride. But I do think the ride should belong in Action Zone.

I don't see them putting it in Action Zone just so they don't have 2 towers standing right next to each other.

I do, Knotts and Canada's Wonderland are both 301 ft., more than likely CP is going in at 301 or higher. That would make 3 of 3 over 300 ft.

Wow, OK. You got mesmile.gif I don't see any reason to believe it will be taller than 301'. You guys are more literal than the Autistic kids I work withrolleyes.gif

Okay...I've been fishing all morning long online about debunking the mystery that awaits us behind the curtain. Amazingly, I'm surprised we missed this announcement that took place early May of 2010. Here is the link:

http://www.rctlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5595

And, here is an excerpt from this article I found.

SANDUSKY

Next year, the thrill is back.

Cedar Point’s new ride for 2011, which already has been ordered but not been announced publicly, will be aimed at thrill seekers, said Dick Kinzel, Cedar Fair’s CEO.

The amusement park’s long-term plans for new rides is closely veiled. But during an exclusive Register interview with Kinzel, he pulled the curtain aside a bit.

When asked if Cedar Point plans to maintain its status as the world’s leader for roller coasters and rides, he said: “Let me just put it this way. We went after the family market this year ... We’re going to go after the thrill seeker next year.”

Kinzel wouldn’t give more details. “There’s more thrill rides than roller coasters,” he said. “I can’t tell you what it is. It’s a very exciting ride.”

More details may not be forthcoming until Cedar Point makes its official announcement later this year about what’s new in 2011.

Robin Innes, Cedar Point’s spokesman, said that in recent years new attractions at Cedar Point have been announced in the late summer or early fall.

Now that my wife is awake, (she's a nurse and worked a late 2nd shift last night) my search has concluded with wonderment of what all of the world's theme parks are getting for 2011. From England: Thorpe Park's water rapids to Universal Hollywood's: Transformers ride, it looks like we're all in for a great year at our favorite theme parks across the world. Well, I'm off to lunch. I will be back AT 2:00PM, like the rest of you to await the new news. I'm excited for anything new at My Favorite Park....Kings Island!

Okay...I've been fishing all morning long online about debunking the mystery that awaits us behind the curtain. Amazingly, I'm surprised we missed this announcement that took place early May of 2010. Here is the link:

http://www.rctlounge...read.php?t=5595

And, here is an excerpt from this article I found.

SANDUSKY

Next year, the thrill is back.

Cedar Point's new ride for 2011, which already has been ordered but not been announced publicly, will be aimed at thrill seekers, said Dick Kinzel, Cedar Fair's CEO.

The amusement park's long-term plans for new rides is closely veiled. But during an exclusive Register interview with Kinzel, he pulled the curtain aside a bit.

When asked if Cedar Point plans to maintain its status as the world's leader for roller coasters and rides, he said: "Let me just put it this way. We went after the family market this year ... We're going to go after the thrill seeker next year."

Kinzel wouldn't give more details. "There's more thrill rides than roller coasters," he said. "I can't tell you what it is. It's a very exciting ride."

More details may not be forthcoming until Cedar Point makes its official announcement later this year about what's new in 2011.

Robin Innes, Cedar Point's spokesman, said that in recent years new attractions at Cedar Point have been announced in the late summer or early fall.

Now that my wife is awake, (she's a nurse and worked a late 2nd shift last night) my search has concluded with wonderment of what all of the world's theme parks are getting for 2011. From England: Thorpe Park's water rapids to Universal Hollywood's: Transformers ride, it looks like we're all in for a great year at our favorite theme parks across the world. Well, I'm off to lunch. I will be back AT 2:00PM, like the rest of you to await the new news. I'm excited for anything new at My Favorite Park....Kings Island!

Don't think anybody on these boards missed that at all. There has been talk about CP's new ride for months now. The surprise is that Kings Island is getting a new ride.

I can 100% guarantee its a Wind Seeker after looking at this...

http://i787.photobuc...ck/8214d7aa.jpg

and then the logo on this...

http://www.knotts.co...eeker/index.cfm

Its the same wind Graphic in both. So the question is no longer what the ride is but how tall it will be??

I am gonna say 301' and CP will get the tallest one of the four prob around 350' since they usually get the record breakers (which I am 100% okay with bc I Love CP).

But the height thing is a total guess at this point. wink.gif

I can 100% guarantee its a Wind Seeker after looking at this...

http://i787.photobuc...ck/8214d7aa.jpg

and then the logo on this...

http://www.knotts.co...eeker/index.cfm

Its the same wind Graphic in both. So the question is no longer what the ride is but how tall it will be??

I am gonna say 301' and CP will get the tallest one of the four prob around 350' since they usually get the record breakers (which I am 100% okay with bc I Love CP).

But the height thing is a total guess at this point. wink.gif

Nice observation! 40 min to go!

What would be a better name?

I'll gladly accept Wind Seeker considering it's not an awkward ride name (like a top spin named Top Spin or a Drop Tower named Drop Tower... oh wait), and knowing Cedar Fair's naming history, if they tried to get creative who knows what it might be called... Swing High, or something... Ha!