New for 2011 Windseeker!

Sergeant Pepper

Only bad thing about this new ride.

All the boo hooing from Coaster freaks.

;)

Isn't that true, to the highest degree.

I like the addition. I like riding Zephyr, and I am sure this new ride will be much more intense, more thrilling, and have much more substance. I think people will discover a ride they can go to and ride over and over again when they visit the park. The capacity looks generous, and one more ride will reduce lines at other rides while maybe giving Vortex ridership a kick in the pants.

Not to mention, the back end of Coney Mall has been needing something exciting for a few years now, and I think this could do a good job of that.

Call me excited, to see an addition that at 48" most of the family can ride!

All, in all--I think it sounds like a pretty fun ride. Like someone else who posted earlier, I have also recently rediscovered the simple joys of the Zephyr. So, I think this should be pretty enjoyable. (Plus, I think anything is thrilling when done at 300' feet in the air--including looking out the window of the conference room on the 30th floor of my office building ;) )

Selfishly, I'm a little disappointed that CP and KI are getting the exact same ride...it doesn't give much variety for those of us who visit both parks frequently. (Although, I have to admire their dedication to economies of scale...think how this will cut down on marketing costs with so many versions of the same ride being installed in the same season...)

I don't see where all the disappointment is coming from when less than 48 hours ago it looked like we weren't even getting a new ride. It's not like they've been dropping hints and building up to this for a while like Cedar Point.

I think it's a very nice surprise.

I'm thrilled by the addition. Am astounded that CP is building exact identical ride. However it will be interesting to compare the experiences at both parks since CP will have the addition of the lake breeze. P.S. I'll be on Channel 5 news at 5pm ( I think.)

Only bad thing about this new ride.

All the boo hooing from Coaster freaks.

wink.gif

"OMG GUIZE IT'S NOT A COASTER WHICH MEANS IT'S NOT GONNA BE FUN AT ALLLL. IT DOESN'T HAVE LOOOOPS OR AIRTIME OR NETHANG."

Really now. We just got Diamondback two years ago and we're already complaining about not having a new roller coaster. Interesting.

You both are spot on, exactly what I'm thinking while reading this topic. Like I said in the other topic, let them stay out of line, I'll gladly take their place.

I'm really excited for this ride, now that it's confirmed. Sure, it's not a coaster, but there's a LOT more to parks than just coasters. Some of us realize that.

I am extremely excited for WindSeeker! It is going to be a ride that Kings Island has needed for a while. We have been lacking in flats, and this fills the spot perfectly. From the looks of the animation video and those cgi concept pictures, it looks like it will be in Flight Commanders spot, or at least on the left side of coney mall. If you look in the animation, it is basically right where the two sides of The Racer meet back up after separating for the turn around, which would be the left side of Coney Mall. Does this make any sense? lol

Well I'm a coaster Freak myself, but at the same time, I don't think its time just yet to 1UP on Diamondback, and the park needs another flat. This thing looks cool. I don't think it will be an extreme "thrill" ride, but I think it'll be fun, kinda like the Zephyr with an awesome view of the park!

Do people really not understand at all you have to have a balance of certain types of rides at a park? I mean come on I read over on news 5's site for the WindSeeker blog that all people want and complaining about is getting a new roller coaster. This is going to be dumb and blah,blah,blah! Geez people cry too much over something that they can't have any control over LOL!!!! I'm loving it that this going to be a new flat ride and its going to be in the Coney Mall area because its way over due. I think we should have more flat rides installed every other year too. I'm very excited to see what the lights are going to look like on this too. I saw for Cedar Point for their WindSeeker it will have a light system on it for the riders and people watching from the ground. Good job Cedar Fair this will bring people into the park! :D :D

I am extremely excited for WindSeeker! It is going to be a ride that Kings Island has needed for a while. We have been lacking in flats, and this fills the spot perfectly. From the looks of the animation video and those cgi concept pictures, it looks like it will be in Flight Commanders spot, or at least on the left side of coney mall. If you look in the animation, it is basically right where the two sides of The Racer meet back up after separating for the turn around, which would be the left side of Coney Mall. Does this make any sense? lol

Yes it does. I am very excited about the new addition, I really was not expecting a new addition at all for next season.

For those that wanted a coaster, I would have liked that as well, but knew that would be an unreasonable expectation of mine.

I wonder what happened to "Stratosoar"...

Well it may be nothing or it may still be in the works. CF confirmed that they were planning on spending $80-$90 million in CapEx. So far we have only accounted for about half of that ($21 million on Planet Snoopy additions at VF, WoF, & Dorney + $20 million for the 4 WindSeekers). Granted we haven't heard anything about anymore CF addtions at this point but at the same time $39 million seems like a lot to spend on general park improvements.

It was probably part of the deal with Mondial to get the name out.

And Kings Island isn't my home park... Cedar Point is, but you guys at KI should be pretty excited, you got DB in '09, you're adding a sweet 300' flat in '11, and will probably be brought up a lot more at the round table discussions for possible coaster additions in '12.

It's not like you're being left out.

[...] Granted we haven't heard anything about anymore CF addtions at this point but at the same time $39 million seems like a lot to spend on general park improvements.

Trash cans my friend, trash cans. Haha. In all seriousness what parks have yet to report?

Looks like a nice addition to me, it may or may not be something I like, won't know till I ride it, but it's something different. I love coasters as much as anyone, but the problem with amusement parks anymore as far as I'm concerned is it's coasters this and coasters that. It's not a coaster park it's an amusement park, and I like to see variety. We have plenty of coasters.

I was calculating hourly capacity per the KI site

Capacity 1,280 per hour

So, for 64 Riders at a time it would take 20 Cycle's in an hour to make the capacity of 1,280.

If each ride cycle is 3 minutes, and it takes 20 cycles to get to the capacity that eats up 60 minutes. This is just ride time only!

Do they not calculate unload/reload times when giving these capacities?

Last question I have for now, is do you think this ride will have a single rider line? Since it has dual seats, I think it would make sense for a SRL to maximize capacity.

I did a search for Stratosoar and it looks like the company that was going to make it wanted to do individual seats held by chains and a simple swing lap bar. Other words, the seat would swing and twist all over the place which is very unsafe at such high altitudes, and really nothing to hold you in and make you feel safe, plus not that many seats means longer wait time to ride and less rides given in a day.

Comparing these two, I am much happier with WindSeeker, mostly cause of the steel arms that will keep the seats facing forward and the better restraint system which will lock and hold you in. Oh, and also that two riders can ride side by side, much funner than swinging in the air by yourself.

TAKEN TODAY!

IN FRONT OF OLD FLIGHT COMMANDER QUEUE

28ef45b6.jpg

FLIGHT COMMANDER QUEUE

b980a986.jpg

FLIGHT COMMANDER ENTRANCE PATH

7c0695f1.jpg

ANOTHER QUEUE PICTURE

0232a03c.jpg

It will be interesting to see if they reuse that same queue or tear it down and put up the canopies they have been using? Although, using the existing queue you just need some paint and queue rails. Might have money left over to paint a few other rides in CM!

I really like this new addition. Very happy with it and it will look awesome in the park, great views from the top as well. Everyone realize you will be looking down on Vortex, Beast and Diamondback? That is awesome. Great family friendly addition and some junior thrill seekers will love this ride. Kudos Cedar Fair.

Anyone that is complaining because this isn't a roller coaster does not understand the industry or the sense this ride makes and how un Cedar Fair it is.