New for 2011 Windseeker!

Sergeant Pepper

Unfortunately this isn't enough to make me want to get a pass in 2011. Perhaps they'll add something that interests me in 2012. It's still nice to see them adding a new flat ride though, it helps add some diversity to the parks ride line up.

As for the person that said "this isn't like Zephyr 300 feet in the air, it's more like Linus Launcher" Your telling me Linus Launcher wouldn't be thrilling 300 feet off the ground?

When I first heard the rumor about Cedar Point getting a Star Flyer/ WindSeeker. I was talking to my sister about it and I even said that I wished Kings Island would get one of those, it sounds like a lot of fun, and thrilling too! If you think the ride is going to be boring and a waste of space, then by all means stay out of line when it opens so that us people that want to ride it don't have to wait as long. tongue.gif

I merely pointed out that the new ride is constructed more like Linus than Zephyr because the cars are attached to a solid bar rather than a chain. I made no comment about the ride experience, nor will I until I ride it.

I was just using BING to check for Kings Island map of the park. They still have the Great Wolf Lodge under construction and DB is still being cleared out. The picture seems to have been taken in Late Fall or Winter. I thought it would be worth mentioning because they provide a Beautiful GREAT 3D Birds eye view. I can't seem to get a snapshot of the area by racers and Vortex. There must be a copyright program from keeping me from using this picture. www.bing.com

Why is everyone getting so hung up on the same type of ride argument? Do people not realize that almost every amusement park out there has an Eli Bridge Scrambler? Ie, Coney Island has one, Stricker`s has one, and Kings Island has one. Even Cedar Point has one as well. Scramblers have been around for decades. Do people find these rides boring? Some might, but they are still great family rides. They still draw lines and have their fans.

I think they should have named WindSeeker something like Son of Zephyr, or Super Zephyr. Then rename the kids one to a corresponding name. It would have brought quite a laugh to a lot of people in my opinion laugh.gif

Zephyr, Zephyrie, Son Of Zephyr

:P

Count me in the looking forward to trying it out category - although I don't like riding the swings, I'm hoping that the solid arms of this one give me a better feeling of security.

A few other thoughts:

- Those that are complaining. Remember that several people on these forums felt I-305 didn't look too exciting either. Please wait, try it, and then pass judgment.

- Those concerned about the same rides at both KI and CP. Do you ride both Delirium and Maxair?

- Location. I'm thinking you might get some good/new views of The Beast out back into the woods from this ride. Have to wait and see, but it should be a unique look.

- Coney Mall. Please KI give it some love as you install this like you did Rivertown and Planet Snoopy.

I'm excited to see what Coney Mall, Knott's Roaring 20s Airfield, and the Oceana Midway look like next season.

I'm not as familiar with CW's layout, but the respective areas at Knotts, CP, and KI are among the oldest and most in need of a "freshening." Much in the way that Diamondback was the "peg" to freshen up Rivertown, and Maverick was the peg to freshen up Frontier Town, I would almost guarantee that we'll see much nicer looking areas surrounding each park's WindSeeker come 2011.

Maintenance wise how reliable do you think the WindSeeker's will be?

Let's see

- None have been built before and now four are being purchased and installed at the same time

- According to one source, original design intent was 65m and 50 passengers, yet CF is installing ones that are >300' and 64 passengers

Concept wise, it's not rocket science so eventually it will be ok, however I've got concerns about the first few months.

Maintenance wise how reliable do you think the WindSeeker’s will be?

Let's look at the mechanicals:

Conveyance to get the "gondola" up to the top of the tower (I would assume cable lift powered by motors located on the top maintenance platform or inside the tower)

and

Motor(s) that rotate the gondola. A traditional wheel and tire are visible in the animation and illustrations, and that's about as low tech as it gets.

and

Locks and Sensors on the restraints.

As far as I can see, that's it.

Here's how I see it.

The gondola is completely free from the tower itself. The two are linked by the catchcar type structure that is dynamically affixed (dynamic meaning that the connection allows movement, in this case horizontal rotation). This apparatus is also connected to the cables that raise and lower the gondola.

Now, anything at 300' can be problematic, but this seems to be pretty well tested technology. I don't have too many fears about downtime, unless the winds prove to be more of a problem than they were expecting .

However, let's not forget Delirium was the first of it's kind.

Lets not also forget that TR:TR and SOB was the first of their kind, and look how that turned out. A new concept can go either way, we will just have to wait till next season to find out.

Maintenance wise how reliable do you think the WindSeeker's will be?

Let's look at the mechanicals:

Conveyance to get the "gondola" up to the top of the tower (I would assume cable lift powered by motors located on the top maintenance platform or inside the tower)

and

Motor(s) that rotate the gondola. A traditional wheel and tire are visible in the animation and illustrations, and that's about as low tech as it gets.

and

Locks and Sensors on the restraints.

As far as I can see, that's it.

Here's how I see it.

The gondola is completely free from the tower itself. The two are linked by the catchcar type structure that is dynamically affixed (dynamic meaning that the connection allows movement, in this case horizontal rotation). This apparatus is also connected to the cables that raise and lower the gondola.

Now, anything at 300' can be problematic, but this seems to be pretty well tested technology. I don't have too many fears about downtime, unless the winds prove to be more of a problem than they were expecting .

http://www.mondialrides.com/products

They are the king of state fairs so I wouldn't rely on them too much  :P