New for 2011 Windseeker!

Sergeant Pepper

I really like this new addition.  Very happy with it and it will look awesome in the park, great views from the top as well.  Everyone realize you will be looking down on Vortex, Beast and Diamondback?  That is awesome.  Great family friendly addition and some junior thrill seekers will love this ride.  Kudos Cedar Fair.

Anyone that is complaining because this isn't a roller coaster does not understand the industry or the sense this ride makes and how un Cedar Fair it is.

I have been thinking that all day. That's another reason I'm really excited about this ride. It will be awkward looking at Diamondback from that angle.

I want to say I'm shocked that KI, CW, KBF, and CP are all getting the same ride with the same name with the same statistics but I'm not. I am disappointed though. I wasn't expecting a coaster, in fact I was expecting it to be exactly how it turned out, the difference is I was expecting atleast one CF park to receive a coaster for next year. Why is Cedar Fair adding the exact same 4 rides at parks that honestly don't need them as much as other parks? In my opinion these should have been given to Worlds of Fun, Valley Fair, Michigans Adventure, and CGA (well actually they all-except WoF needs a new coaster). CP, KI, KBF, and CW don't even need these. Well Knotts, CW, and KI would of been fine but CP should of gotten something better. Just my opinion and I know alot of people will disagree and fit, but thats what I have to say. And lastly, yes I am excited but not so excited I'll be watching the webcam (if they even get one for it) everyday and checking up. I just hope maybe Holiday World or another near by park gets some better for 11'.

Guest rcfreak339

It will be interesting to see if they reuse that same queue or tear it down and put up the canopies they have been using? Although, using the existing queue you just need some paint and queue rails. Might have money left over to paint a few other rides in CM!

They will indeed most likely use the same queue, the wooden beams used to be green...they are now a blue color, Am I correct?

I read something about Flight Commander that said the queue went underground. Is that true?

Yes, but only because the ride platform is on a hill.

I really like this new addition. Very happy with it and it will look awesome in the park, great views from the top as well. Everyone realize you will be looking down on Vortex, Beast and Diamondback? That is awesome. Great family friendly addition and some junior thrill seekers will love this ride. Kudos Cedar Fair.

Anyone that is complaining because this isn't a roller coaster does not understand the industry or the sense this ride makes and how un Cedar Fair it is.

I'm glad members like you are still around here! I completely agree.

Park Map

If you look at the park map, it shows that the ride would be on top of Vortex basically. I wonder if someone plotted it wrong or if we have the location wrong in our heads.

I think it was just plotted wrong on the interactive park map. My guess is it is going exactly where Eurobobbles are/ Flight commander was.

I really like this new addition. Very happy with it and it will look awesome in the park, great views from the top as well. Everyone realize you will be looking down on Vortex, Beast and Diamondback? That is awesome. Great family friendly addition and some junior thrill seekers will love this ride. Kudos Cedar Fair.

I'm glad members like you are still around here! I completely agree.

I agree to, 100%.

Does this remind you of a ride from the past that was removed? Oh..and what about the location? Might as well just call it Flight Commander.

Scan10003b.jpg

I totally forgot there used to be a pond over there too!

Yea... this looks more like Kings Dominion with Rebel Yell and Lake Charles in the background. Our flight commander was located directly in front of The Racer.

Guest rcfreak339

I hope they don't place the ride near The Vortex entrance, It would be much better in the field or the old Commander spot in front of Vortex.

From the description and google pin on the map, it is showing the WindSeeker as going between The Vortex and Action FX Theater Exits. It would make since to put it on the Flight Commander's footprint. I don't know why they would want to do all the extra clearing and grading needed to put this ride there.

So call me ridiculous, but -

Could they be placing the ride there for viewing purposes? I'm trying to think about Kings Island's skyline from the road, and I think if it went in the Eurobubble/Flight Commander spot, it would be blocked by the Diamondback lift hill/Eiffel Tower.

If they put it next to the exit of Vortex however, I think it would make it much more viewable from the road and also make the ride seem taller.

But maybe not. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Great to see a great flat ride at Kings Island! Now we can say that we have 3 world class "modern" flat rides.

I don't know what I have to say about the location. I can see this going right next to the theater, but I hope they don't remove too many trees while they do this project. Frankly, I'm surprised that this isn't in X-base. The fact that it isn't makes me think that Cedar Fair isn't very interested in expanding onto that area.

As far as Cedar Point's is concerned, I think it's in a great location. Right by the beach off of the midway is the perfect spot for a ride like it. Now we can get an extended look at Sandusky and Lake Eerie from up high without speeding at 93 or 120 mph!

Am I disappointed that Cedar Point didn't get a new coaster? Yes. Am I happy with the new ride(s)? Yes.

Did it brighten up my week when I learned that Kings Island is getting a new ride? Absolutely.

I think what happened in the animation is that they used Google Maps for the actual terrain and placed Racer and Vortex on top of those spots and expected the rest to be correct, which it probably isn't. That might explain why no other rides appear on the animation, just the ones in close proximity to Wind Seeker. Judging by the fact its in Coney Mall, the only logical spot would be to put it in Flight Commander's old spot.

I for one think this is a great addition for Kings Island. I've always wanted something to take up that spot in the form of a flat, and this fits the bill perfectly (almost too perfectly as its almost the same type ride as Flight Commander, just 4x higher). I figure a lot of people agree with me in that its a good addition, but it still burns me up to see how its already getting ripped by people on other forums, paticularly general forums outside KIC such as Facebook. Its almost like all anyone wants anymore is a roller coaster, especially now that people realize Kings Island is affiliated with Cedar Point (which used to be quite the opposite, I remember people complaining about it when we added Diamondback that we were becoming too much like Cedar Point). For those wanting a coaster, it'd be a crazy notion for any park to add 3 coasters in 5 years (including Firehawk even though its a relocated ride). Six Flags tried it, and look how that turned out financially for them. I think we realize Cedar Fair is smarter than that, and considering the economy, these additions make sense.

I was a little dissapointed Cedar Point recieved one as well, being close to both Kings Island and Canada's Wonderland. I almost suspect that 2012 will be the year Cedar Fair adds a coaster for a few parks, knowing that Six Flags has plans for 2011 for their 50th anniversery, and perhaps 2012 will be Cedar Fair's response to that. As crazy as it may sound from some view points, I wouldn't rule that notion out completely.

TAKEN TODAY!

IN FRONT OF OLD FLIGHT COMMANDER QUEUE

28ef45b6.jpg

I always wondered what that was there for. I just figured it was ether an employees only area or a haunt building for Halloween Haunt.

This used to be a funnel cake stand. The area to the right is where my 2nd girlfriend dumped me years ago. (TMI?) Earlier this season, if you looked closely over the fence on the left-hand side of the building, you could see the ambulance used for the hospital-themed haunt. It's been awhile since I've been, so I don't know if it's still visible or if it's been moved in preparation for HH.

That said, I'm totally excited for WindSeeker. It will make a great addition to the park.

I was calculating hourly capacity per the KI site

Capacity 1,280 per hour

So, for 64 Riders at a time it would take 20 Cycle's in an hour to make the capacity of 1,280.

If each ride cycle is 3 minutes, and it takes 20 cycles to get to the capacity that eats up 60 minutes. This is just ride time only!

Do they not calculate unload/reload times when giving these capacities?

Last question I have for now, is do you think this ride will have a single rider line? Since it has dual seats, I think it would make sense for a SRL to maximize capacity.

I did the same calculation. Either CF puts the same effort into calculating capacity as they do into naming their rides, or honesty isn't real high on their priority list.

When CP added Skyhawk I was really disappointed, because it was a only a giant swing. I have to admit that I was wrong. That is a very cool ride. When I first looked at WindSeeker I thought the same thing and I think we will all be surprised at how much fun it will be. I am looking forward to riding it next year.

A few observations:

1. There was a thread regarding what KI should get for 2011. Anyone have a guess as to how many people said that KI needed a WindSeeker? Not one, zero, zip, zilch, nada!

2. The real capacity, based on a loading and unloading time of 90 seconds, is around 850 per hour

3. This ride is not like Zypher. It is Linus' Launcher.

4. Four cookie cutter WindSeekers with the name "Wind Seeker?!?! Are you kidding me?! I hope CF didn't actually pay someone to name these rides.

5. Although KI needs flat rides and has needed to do something with Coney for years, I don't see how a second observation ride is something the park needed. I did like Zodiac when I was a kid, but there is a far larger variety of rides available today.

6. To me this is not a thrill ride, but I guess it's better than nothing.