Sponge Bob ?D

Snowman

Hi all,

I'm new to this sight and this is my first topic, so please forgive me if this has already been answered. I wanted to wait until after yesterday's announcement to post this.

My wife and I were at the KI Monday evening and we rode Sponge Bob. When we got to the Que there were NO 3D Glasses outside and when asked about it the worker said: "It's only in 2D now"!

Talk about a disappointing experience. It was like watching Nickalodean (sp?) while someone was shaking the crap out of our couch! Does anyone know if the theater is where they are planning to put the Super Spinny Flying Sky Swingy thing? Are they really sending Spongebob and Patrick back to Bikini Bottom?

Ride On!

Snowman

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant see that making any scense as the video has always been 3d and would be pointless changing when season almost done,im sure they would keep same video 3d and all till they find a new video,unless something broke with their equipment.ill be there tommarow ill check into it

For a period of a few weeks last season it was 2D, too. There was a piece of paper taped to the sign out front that said "Sorry, this show is in 2D today!" in poorly written handwriting, so I got the idea that it was a problem with a projector more than anything. I don't know.

I cant comment on the 3D thing, But I did notice something a little odd last time I went there, which was last thursday... Seems to me that Spongebob is the last remaining Paramount owned attraction in the park.. Which would tell me that, in due time, It will most likely be outta there soon.. But, When I looked up at the sign, They had replaced it with the new Spongebob Logo and new Nick logo. Didnt think to see if it said 3d or not though. Kinda amazes me that they would go to all that trouble to change/repaint the entrance sign for a character ride that is not even their own..

It's been in 3D both times I've ridden it recently (yesterday and in late July). The only unusual thing I've noticed is that when I rode it in July, they were handing out 3D glasses after everyone was seated in the theater. Yesterday though they were handing them out as people came through the line like usual.

In all honesty though, I can't see Spongebob lasting much longer unless they replace the film. The film is quite grainy now, and will only get worse with time. It's beginning to detract from the ride experience. They recently replaced the sign at the beginning of the queue, but the same film has been shown over and over again for seven years now. I'm not sure how much longer it will last. The best solution would be to convert it to digital projection, but that would likely be quite expensive.

The ride is their own. Spongebob is a Nickelodeon character, with Nickelodeon being a property owned by VIACOM. VIACOM also owns Paramount Pictures, but they are separate entities (but not nearly as separate as Paramount Pictures and Paramount Parks, which were owned by the "new" VIACOM and CBS, respectively). Much like Scooby Doo, the license for Spongebob is sort of "rented" as I understand it, by the company that produces the 3D movie & simulator mechanism.

My understanding is that the company (Cedar Fair) pays for the film through Iwerks (the production company), who in turn pays a piece of their revenue to VIACOM for the use of the Nickelodeon character. Many zoos and Six Flags parks that were never affiliated with Paramount show Spongebob 3D (some, even 4D with bubbles, water, wind, etc). In other words, the existence of Spongebob is not tied to the existence of the Nickelodeon license in the park. Any park can have Spongebob 3D for the right price. It was just really complimentary to the park's Nickelodeon area, and has stayed ever since.

The sign was replaced to update the Nickelodeon logo, which was changed late last year. But yeah, the movie plays constantly, all day, every day of the summer. It's old, it's grainy, and I wouldn't be surprised if the projection system hasn't been updated for quite some time. Paramount tended to switch the simulator film out every two or three years. I think this year is Spongebob's eighth? So yeah, it's in need of a tune-up, or replacement (but I don't know what would be a more fun ride for families than Spongebob?)

I cant comment on the 3D thing, But I did notice something a little odd last time I went there, which was last thursday... Seems to me that Spongebob is the last remaining Paramount owned attraction in the park.. Which would tell me that, in due time, It will most likely be outta there soon.. But, When I looked up at the sign, They had replaced it with the new Spongebob Logo and new Nick logo. Didnt think to see if it said 3d or not though. Kinda amazes me that they would go to all that trouble to change/repaint the entrance sign for a character ride that is not even their own..

I looked at the sign and it still says 3D, and the worker dude even said, "We hope you enjoyed Spongebob 3d", obviously he was not really paying attention! My wife and I thought we were in the Twilight Zone......Hey, that would be a good 3D ride!!!!!

I do wish they would update this ride. Has anyone ridden the Irish one (I can't remember the name)at Busch Gardens Williamsburg? That one is AMAZING!!!!

I do wish they would update this ride. Has anyone ridden the Irish one (I can't remember the name)at Busch Gardens Williamsburg? That one is AMAZING!!!!

Or, was amazing! Corkscrew Hill was removed this year and replaced with a new simulator called "Europe in the Air" (a very beautiful, very "Soarin'" like sight-seeing experience) that lacks what Corkscrew Hill was often hated for - its bumpy, rigid, rough movements when it simulated horseback riding, being carried through the air by a Griffin, and others. Though, personally, I preferred Corkscrew Hill.

I was in the park Sunday and it wasn't in 3D!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet how Action Theater was originally set up to have two movies playing and to alternate between the two to keep the line moving. Funny how playing the same movie for so many years kind of killed the line wait for this ride, and yet the park owners never got the hint to replace the film,

Untitled-2_copy%7E1.jpg

instead they gutted one side of the ride by building a haunted house inside the other theater that mysteriously never plays anymore! This would be about the same as if you had a favorite t-shirt that meant a lot to you, then decide one day you want to make a torch so you wrap that same t-shirt around a stick and lite it on fire! This alone tells me it may not be around much longer. I would love to see the building fully restored back to both movie sides working again, and with an all new film.

Or, was amazing! Corkscrew Hill was removed this year and replaced with a new simulator called "Europe in the Air" (a very beautiful, very "Soarin'" like sight-seeing experience) that lacks what Corkscrew Hill was often hated for - its bumpy, rigid, rough movements when it simulated horseback riding, being carried through the air by a Griffin, and others. Though, personally, I preferred Corkscrew Hill.

Corkscrew Hill! I hate to hear it's gone. What great theming that was. Now where am I going to go to get shrunk down to fit in a shoebox?

LongliveKingsCobra said:

^Actually One movie played a completely different movie. One year it was The 7th Portal, and James Bond

Were they 3D as well?

Our first trip to KI was only last year.

We loved it so much, my wife and I moved here this last spring!

Ride On!

I believe that only the side currently showing Spongebob has 3D capability. And whether or not there was a haunted house in half of the Action Theater, they'd probably only keep one side open. Look at Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Wonderland, and Great America... All have dual-sided Action Theaters, and all only play Spongebob in one side, even though their second sides are not taken up by haunted houses.

Besides, it would pretty useless to have both sides playing the same show since the Theater's draw isn't nearly what it once was... On most days I've been there, the theater is at slightly less than capacity when the doors close, and it continues to be that way most of the day. It doesn't seem to me that there are many times when people get rejected from a show and have to wait through two or three... So why open a second side?

I believe that only the side currently showing Spongebob has 3D capability. And whether or not there was a haunted house in half of the Action Theater, they'd probably only keep one side open. Look at Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Wonderland, and Great America... All have dual-sided Action Theaters, and all only play Spongebob in one side, even though their second sides are not taken up by haunted houses.

Besides, it would pretty useless to have both sides playing the same show since the Theater's draw isn't nearly what it once was... On most days I've been there, the theater is at slightly less than capacity when the doors close, and it continues to be that way most of the day. It doesn't seem to me that there are many times when people get rejected from a show and have to wait through two or three... So why open a second side?

That's because Spongebob has been playing so long. The lines would be longer if they replaced the movie... at least, I would assume so...

LongliveKingsCobra said:

^Actually One movie played a completely different movie. One year it was The 7th Portal, and James Bond

Were they 3D as well?

Our first trip to KI was only last year.

We loved it so much, my wife and I moved here this last spring!

Ride On!

7th Portal was in 3D, James Bond was only in 2D, but was still a whole lot of fun.

Man I wish they'd kill off Sponge Bob 3D. Sponge Bob is annoying, and yes we know HE GETS THE DANG PICKLE! Action FX theatre has always been one of my favorite flat rides, but having Sponge Bob in there for god only knows how long has killed that ride for me!

Corkscrew Hill! I hate to hear it's gone. What great theming that was. Now where am I going to go to get shrunk down to fit in a shoebox?

Honey, I Shrunk the Audience at Epcot. wink.gif

Not anymore. Captain EO is there now: http://disneyparks.d...y-world-resort/

Wait...that's one of my favorite rides! :(

I remember crying when I went on it (Honey, I Shrunk The Audience) because of the spiders. Ahah! :lol:

^Actually One movie played a completely different movie. One year it was The 7th Portal, and James Bond.

Actually, I believe it became 7th Portal/Spongebob in 2003. After 7th Portal left, they ran a few different iWerks films on that side... some Indiana Jones esque knock off film, smash factory etc and had the capability to run spongebob on that side. Both sides can do 3D as both sides have two projectors capable of making it happen, even before the 3D movies were added, its just the design of that particular Turbo Tour Theatre model.

If the park was smart, they'd change the movie, even if it was 2D, just to spruce up that area a little bit. Personally, I can't believe how absolutely tacky they made it look when they added that maze. The exit is cramped and the horribly painted black plywood walls look trashy.

When I rode Spongebob last Friday, it was in 3d but they were handing out 3d glasses after you get to your seats instead of handing them out at the ride. The cycle time has always been bad at Spongebob but it was twice as bad because of how much time it took to pass out the glasses. Then, after passing out the glasses, they had to check your seatbelts. However, I still get a kick out of that show because of how stupid it is. ( It drives me up the wall in the pre-show how they have fire underwater.)

If the park was smart, they'd change the movie, even if it was 2D, just to spruce up that area a little bit. Personally, I can't believe how absolutely tacky they made it look when they added that maze. The exit is cramped and the horribly painted black plywood walls look trashy.

I've been wondering if, given the other changes at that end of Coney Mall, that there might be changes to the theater. While the kids still like the SpongeBob show, I wouldn't mind seeing something new. And depending upon where the queue/ride for WindSeeker end up, there may need to be modifications to the Theater entrance/exit.

Days of Thunder....those were the days. Sitting there waiting for the movie to begin, listening to "There's gonna be a heartache tonight.....a heartache tonight I know...." and dangling my legs to the beat. :)