Sponge Bob ?D

Snowman

If the park was smart, they'd change the movie, even if it was 2D, just to spruce up that area a little bit. Personally, I can't believe how absolutely tacky they made it look when they added that maze. The exit is cramped and the horribly painted black plywood walls look trashy.

To me, if the park is going to have a haunt maze set up that (for whatever insane reason) cannot be absent during the five operating months and then rebuilt for the couple dozen days of Haunt, I'd rather have it in the unused side of Action Theater just clogging up the exit. Kings Dominion, after all, has those tacky black plywood walls in the queue line for Flight of Fear - you enter the hanger, and when you should get a sense of awe from the buzzing, flashing, bass-producing spaceship, you instead see only black plywood. And yes, that maze takes up all of the hanger except for the one lane necessary to reach the ship.

And, as you may have assumed from other instances of Cedar Fair's decision-making, the haunted houses' presence apparently merited the discontinuation of any theatrical lighting, pre-show video, sound effects, or other interesting aspects of the hanger... At least, on the three times I've been in it in the past two years. And as someone whose favorite Kings Island ride is Flight of Fear, I would be very upset if ours got this same treatment.

Again, why they can't spend November 1st and 2nd taking it down, and then re-build it once the park goes to weekend-only operation, I'll never know. That's even true for the one hallway of props that would need removed for Action Theater, but is apparently just too much work to create a nice, clean, tidy, thorough guest experience.

Sigh.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all complain about not having enough flats, but in reality we have more than we think, just 2 of the best ones are poorly maintained and are often forgotten. the first one being the Crypt, and the second one being Action theatre.

Seriously though it's not a thrill ride, but it was alot of fun as Days of Thunder the ride, or James Bond. Sponge bob well was ok one time I guess, but 7 years later it's just lame now. Perosnally I'd rather they just ditch sponge bob and make it something else. This is one of those time's though that without movie theming it probably baffle's Cedar Fair's mind "uhhh what do we do with it?" "just leave it as it is, screw it, no one will notice!".

I'm not sure where they could go. If Paramount still was calling the Shot's I'd say Transformers 3D, but of course that's not the case. Just put something cool in there, make it fun again. Bring Days of Thunder the ride back!

Sigh...I'm surprised they don't charge $1 for disposable glasses...

Terp, who was almost afraid to even post that...

I know this is a little off topic from this post, but has anybody bought those disposable glasses for the boo blasters haunted mansion? Is the 3D neon paintjob worth a buck or not?

Sigh...I'm surprised they don't charge $1 for disposable glasses...

Terp, who was almost afraid to even post that...

I know this is a little off topic from this post, but has anybody bought those disposable glasses for the boo blasters haunted mansion? Is the 3D neon paintjob worth a buck or not?

I bought them once and them used them for both BBBH and Snoopy Starlight Spectacular. Was worth $1.

I wonder if that fish ( or whatever kind of creature it is. ) sues the Crusty Crab for the effects of eating that pickle? He certainly was put on notice that there was a pickle on his sandwich when he saw Spongebob chasing the pickle. Kind of reminds me of that woman who sued McDonalds for the hot coffee, which she put between her legs. Oh, what a litigious society we are.

^^ Hmm... sequel?

^Actually One movie played a completely different movie. One year it was The 7th Portal, and James Bond.

And thanks for reminding me what the other movie was. Sadly when they had both lines and both theaters running different movies. I only got to see James Bond, and what I think was 7th Portal. (If 7th Portal had robots and machinery [or something like that] then that might've been it.

Anyways, I was never able to use the motion chairs when those were out, and I was so excited waiting for the day I'd be able to ride it; Instead of having my head almost looking straight up to see the screen. Then sponge bob came out and that was actually the year I was tall enough... it was fun, but I kinda wanted to ride the old ones with motion chairs. I guess I was born 2-5 years too late.

I read there was also a days of thunder ride? I remember seeing that sign, but never watched.

The Days of Thunder ride was awesome. I loved the ending when everyone gathered around the car to cheer your win....and the seat moved as if they were rocking the car. Back then, it wasn't 3D, but it was fantastic.

As for the $1 glasses, we bought them a few months ago and I enjoyed Boo Blasters much better with them on. We have the glasses in our vehicle so we can use 'em whenever we go.

When I rode Spongebob last Friday, it was in 3d but they were handing out 3d glasses after you get to your seats instead of handing them out at the ride. The cycle time has always been bad at Spongebob but it was twice as bad because of how much time it took to pass out the glasses. Then, after passing out the glasses, they had to check your seatbelts. However, I still get a kick out of that show because of how stupid it is. ( It drives me up the wall in the pre-show how they have fire underwater.)

That video was probably the Greatest jokes in Spongebob. I can't stand the new episodes of Spongebob nowadays. It's just SO ANNOYING, I WANNA SHOOT THE TV! By the "new" episodes of spongebob i'm talking 2005-present. And I know this isn't because I'm not a kid anymore because whenever they play episodes from 1999-2004 I can actually stand watching FULL episodes and they will actually make me laugh and it doesn't give people headaches.smile.gif

If the park was smart, they'd change the movie, even if it was 2D, just to spruce up that area a little bit. Personally, I can't believe how absolutely tacky they made it look when they added that maze. The exit is cramped and the horribly painted black plywood walls look trashy.

I've been wondering if, given the other changes at that end of Coney Mall, that there might be changes to the theater. While the kids still like the SpongeBob show, I wouldn't mind seeing something new. And depending upon where the queue/ride for WindSeeker end up, there may need to be modifications to the Theater entrance/exit.

I am hoping that most of the entire back end of Coney will be spruced up. Keep in mind, when we recieved new rides in other areas of the park, those areas were generally spruced up. Examples of this would be the runway that was repainted in front of FoF (which now has almost completely faded), and the renaming of that area to X-base with the introduction of Firehawk. The complete facelift done to most of Rivertown with the intro of Diamondback, (including painting Vortex, even though it is part of Coney Mall) and, lets not forget, Planet Snoopy. Therefore, I am pretty optimistic that the park will touch up over there somehow. smile.gif

I was never a big fan of Days of Thunder. I actually found it a huge disappointment at the time, because I was expecting a pretty high-end simulator experience (similar to BTTF at Universal, or even "Questor" at BGT) and it just couldn't quite deliver. Instead of shooting all new POV footage for the ride, they reused a lot of footage from the actual film. The switches between the custom POV film for the simulator and the shots from the actual movie could really take away from the experience (for instance, I remember one sequence where it was a POV shot from the windshield of the car, then immediately cut to a shot taken from stands looking out as the cars sped by...any illusion of motion was immediately killed.)

I will agree that the custom shots developed for the ride weren't bad for the time...the aforementioned "rocking" of the car at the end was an effect that worked well.

Of course, I'm sure part of my disappointment resulted from the pre-opening marketing for the ride where the hype could never even come close to reality. (You know, another one of those "most fantabulous incredible Hollywoodized experiences ever!!" ;) )

Corkscrew Hill! I hate to hear it's gone. What great theming that was. Now where am I going to go to get shrunk down to fit in a shoebox?

Honey, I Shrunk the Audience at Epcot. wink.gif

Not anymore. Captain EO is there now: http://disneyparks.d...y-world-resort/

I didn't know Honey, I Shrunk the Audience had been replaced. I haven't been to Epcot since '08 and haven't kept up with happenings at WDW like I used to since we don't plan on going again until 2012. Last I had heard was Captain EO was going to be returning, but I had never heard where it was going or that it had actually already come back. I'm a little behind I guess! laugh.gif

On Monday I went to KI and it was in 2D, we asked an attendent and she said "Everyone is stealing and breaking the 3D Glasses so we are buying new pairs so for the next couple days it will be in 2D" mad.gif

There have been several occasions this year that I've gone to the park and have seen teens wearing the yellow 3d glasses from Spongebob in the midways and on rides. I second your mad.gif .

Bring Days of Thunder the ride back!

While I enjoyed DOT back in the day, I wouldn't want it to come back. They brought it back at one point years after it had stopped showing full time, and it looked horribly dated even then. The clothes, the hairstyles and the cars are from a bygone era... the mid 90's!

I agree with the others who said that the car rocking at the end was a good effect. That was one of the things that worked best with that film.

This may have nothing to do with the topic but has anyone noticed that from 9 to closing Action Zone is always empty most of the time. It's Rivertown that's PACKED during that hour due to people wanting to get their night ride on Beast and Diamondback. I like to go to Action Zone at night to avoid lines for Delirium and Drop Zone.

While I enjoyed DOT back in the day, I wouldn't want it to come back. They brought it back at one point years after it had stopped showing full time, and it looked horribly dated even then. The clothes, the hairstyles and the cars are from a bygone era... the mid 90's!

I agree with the others who said that the car rocking at the end was a good effect. That was one of the things that worked best with that film.

You have a point there. Well Cedarfair has a Dale Earnhardt liscense. How about Intimidator: The experience...

Ok well that's wrong lol.

Anyway there is a lot of stuff they could do with Action FX theater. I just hope they do something with it soon!

There have been several occasions this year that I've gone to the park and have seen teens wearing the yellow 3d glasses from Spongebob in the midways and on rides. I second your mad.gif .

the funny thing is, i've ridden spongebob: 3d twice this season, and neither time do i even remember the ride ops telling the crowed to place their 3-d glasses in the bins, i almost forgot about placing them in there until i ran into the bin. :P

people should totally give the glasses back... but you know this world's not perfect, you gotta expect there are going to be a lot of kids and teenagers that steal the glasses just because they can. I did that sorta stuff when I was a teen, don't even know why. Nowadays even when I go to the theatre and see a new movie in 3D I return the glasses...what am I going to do with them if I keep them?

Take them to KI. :P

With that note, you think the Real D glasses would work at KI? Most likely the IMAX ones, since spongebob uses two projectors. Which by the way, annoys the crap out of me when the projectors don't start at the same point... last time I rode the two pictures were off by what I would guesstimate as 1/4 of a second; and whenever something would move... it wouldn't look good, and it just hurt my eyes. I pretty much spent that ride just looking at the surrounding seats and people's bodies getting thrown around.

I haven't been in the Action Theater in years! I can say the kids and I are sorely upset that Scooby-Doo isn't the park.Getting ask ''Where's Scooby-Doo?" a thousand time during you trip to Kings Island can get a little frustrating. Even when you explain and they still ask! What is playing in the theater these days? :unsure:

What is playing in the theater these days? unsure.gif

LOL.

Read the thread before you post and you will know wink.gif

It's even in the title of the thread.

He's yellow and lives in a pineapple.

I started this thread, so I'll field this one.

What's playing is: Spongebob Squarepants.... SOMETIMES 3D.... SOMETIMES 2D!!!!!!

Sometimes a garbage can just blocking the entrance with no explanation. So sometimes NO D!

Hmm...and better film. The animation looks terrible. It looks like it's homemade. Why can't they just make it like the regular cartoons?

I think maybe they were in a rush to capitalize on the fast-growing SpongeBob phenomenon, which was only 3 years old when this went into production. It's "easier" (i.e., "computers do all the work") to produce the 3D effect in a CGI environment where eye-offset angles can be mathematically formulated between channels. Converting traditional 2-D animation requires more work to assign depth-effect regions to each field event, which takes more time, and still only creates a 'paper-cutout-over-flat-background' illusion like in a Viewmaster, which may or may not have been considered suitable for such an immersive ride...?

On Monday I went to KI and it was in 2D, we asked an attendent and she said "Everyone is stealing and breaking the 3D Glasses so we are buying new pairs so for the next couple days it will be in 2D" mad.gif

We were there a couple weeks ago and saw a gaggle of teenagers wearing the Action theater 3D glasses while waiting in line for The Beast. It was really aggravating!!! I wonder if any of the staff people just want to snatch them off their heads?

Everytime I ride Spongebob, I feel like yelling at the screen " Where's the beef?" like that old lady in those Wendy's ads from the 80's. The amount of meat they put on those crabby patties is pitiful, pitiful, pitiful. ( lol )