48" Safety Concerns

selective

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone close this thread already!!!

Why? Its so frustrating when people are afraid of passionate discourse. . . There's some very good stuff in this post re: safety issues. There's also good stuff here where people are discussing what is acceptable forms of debate and behavior and what isn't. It'd be great if a moderator or Terpy or someone with tons of respect would weigh in, but the thread shouldn't be closed.

There is a vast difference in the way posters like GYK refute nonsense with discourse and the bullies on this board who just post insults. And yes, I'm specifically talking about people who post videos. Its a shame that only a handful notice the difference. I'm with you, markr.

Selective is wrong and can be easily put in his place with rational discussion. Thanks, GYK, for demonstrating the difference.

I'm confused! markr is the member who called Selective "eccentric" (i.e. irregular, erratic, peculiar and odd). So, according to you, it is better to simply resort to name calling rather than posting videos.

My head hurts.

Eccentric is not an insult; its an potential explanation of someone's worldview.

Posting a video where you are passive-aggressively telling someone how stupid they are and that they have made us all dumber is an obvious personal attack. And a cowardly one at that.

Hope your headache gets better!

If someone said you were odd or peculiar, I'm sure you would disagree. And three smiley faces followed by a video from, of all places, "Billy Madison" is somehow an attack!?! Perhaps you should limit your posts to spamming KIC with ads for your competing website!

If someone said you were odd or peculiar, I'm sure you would disagree. And three smiley faces followed by a video from, of all places, "Billy Madison" is somehow an attack!?! Perhaps you should limit your posts to spamming KIC with ads for your competing website!

1. I am peculiar. I own that. But if I didn't, I would disagree. That's different than being called dumb, stupid, and ridiculed for it.

2. I don't care if you posted an insulting video from The Wiggles, if you intend malice then its not OK. Adding smiley faces to it doesn't make it less mean. It just makes it more passive-aggressive, which is cowardly. You and I have gone round and round on this issue in previous threads and I have made my point on this issue for today and for the sake of this thread and board.

3. I have the full support of KIC's management in generating interest in my web site by posting news and adding a link. And it is certainly not a "competing web site." Its an additional place to gather information regarding the shows of the park. You are welcome to click on my links in my signatures and posts or not. You are not welcome to attack, undercut, or go out of your way to insult me or anyone else because you don't like being held accountable for your inappropriate behavior on this board.

Point made for the final time, I'm out.

This whole discussion is just a reflection of the public's mentality these days-I'm right, you're wrong, gimme gimme and to hell with you. Before anyone flames me for it, I think I have enough experience dealing with the public to know what I'm talking about. Because of a lot of the behaviour on the board, I don't come here nearly as much as I used to. Would love to go back in time about 3 years before everyone started slinging **** at each other.

On the time issue, a simple solution-how about putting the blue "the park closes tonight at ......" sign back up right by the turnstyles? It's been gone about 2 years, and was more reliable than the Kings Island drive sign or anything else. The confusion happens because it starts at the top-some of my work days, I can be emailed the night before with a completely different start time than what was scheduled. If it happens to us, I can understand the public being confused. Instead of getting ****ed at the guest, just listen to them-they usually just want to vent or what not.

Someone close this thread already!!!

Why? Its so frustrating when people are afraid of passionate discourse. . . There's some very good stuff in this post re: safety issues. There's also good stuff here where people are discussing what is acceptable forms of debate and behavior and what isn't. It'd be great if a moderator or Terpy or someone with tons of respect would weigh in, but the thread shouldn't be closed.

Ok, since you asked, I'm weighing in...

This website is not a babysitting service. Members who have dealt with situations on here using light-hearted sarcastic humor, I feel, are in no way potentially inflicting emotional harm on other users. They are simply injecting humor into the equation without throwing out hurtful words or other actions.

These boards are self-policing for the most part. When members aggressively attack others who have thoughtfully presented arguments they are dealt with. And when members are aggressively posting sub-standard posts filled with mis-information, or alleging neglect on behalf of others here or other company's with no discourse for said others to defend themselves, they are dealt with. No one signs into this forum and is forced to post their thoughts. From the moment we all post our thoughts we must accept the possible rebuttals, whether they are in the form of humor, polite discourse, rational discussion/argument, or even simple ignorance.

There is good material here in regards to safety concerns. It should be noted however that the safety concerns are all priority number one for the parks, the manufacturers, inspectors and insurance companies who combine to provide that all rides operate safely and are maintained according to established procedures. Most members here are conceding that while this is an important topic to discuss there is a broadly excepted way of voicing opinions without fact less accusations, broadly accusatory statements, and simple ignorance of the audience's preferences.

When you sign in and put finger to keyboard, your words shall describe you to all who view them. If a person wishes to be anonymous, free of conflict, or removed from potential discourse then he/she should not voice opinions likely to draw such attention within established parameters of this site or others.

Back to Selective's original post. The safety procedures at Kings Island and other parks are constantly being re-evaluated. Literally on an hourly basis. As for being aware of the park closing time; while there can always be greater strides made in customer service, in any and all possible industries, there is a certain level of awareness and self-reliance that all people should maintain in all things that they do, whether they attend an amusement park or walk across the street.

I think that there are some very insightful points on the way we interact with others in these forums made in this topic, and would like to give credit to GYK182 for his ability to logically address the issue - I think we can all learn something from him.

That said, I also understand why those that made a snarky remark did so. Unfortunately, Selective has not gotten off on the best footing with many members of this forum with his topics and that will lead to this kind of response to this kind of topic/post.

But, I also recognize where markr is coming from with his hope that we could all be kinder to each other at times. I'll keep trying.

One piece of advice from me - if you know that you and another poster constantly get into the same argument, try ignoring it next time. There are people on these forums that are on the opposite ends of personality/style spectrums - you are never going to see eye-to-eye.

Finally - note that Terpy did input to this thread in post #14.

Posting in this forum does more than going to HR or GR, and gets input from all employees and guests at the same time.

I promise you going to GR is THE BEST THING you can do about concerns. Park managers get reports multiple times a day from GR about issues or compliments. Park Services thrives on GR comments

Not to mention, the most successful parks are those that engage not only the general public, but also enthusiasts. Do you think it's the general public getting Six Flags' twitter updates sent to their phone, doing scavenger hunts in the park? Do you think it was the general public regularly contributing to Kings Island's 5@5 discussion? Not for the most part...

A park's biggest fans are also it's greatest critic. Yes, we do nit-pick. We may overdramatize the importance of the antique cars or the waterfall in the Tower Gardens (things that, for the most part, many day-to-day visitors probably do not see, do not remember, or do not care about). But with that in mind, we also point out many things that needed attention yesterday - The Crypt, Backlot Stunt Coaster, in-park music, food pricing, agriculture, certain key "effects" on Backlot, Adventure Express, Crypt, Flight of Fear; even cheap fixes that could easily add a ton of value to the park experience with very little financial investment.

It would be in the park's best interest to check these boards regularly - most of the things we suggest are brought up because we are paying visitors to the park, not just because we are "fanatics." Sure we may attend more regularly, or know more history, but what we want is the same as what everyone wants - the best experience for our time & money. The park's current food pricing, effect maintenance, and attention-to-detail doesn't always give us that experience.

It's a shame, because if just ten of us sat down with ten higher-ups at Kings Island for an hour, we could all get a lot of answers, and a lot of food for thought.

No idea!

I called, as the park requested, on multiple occasions, before & after the busy first weeks. None of my calls were returned, or my later comments on the 5@5 answer. Then the 5@5 was silently discontinued, so I doubt if they stopped that, they'd be interested in doing anything that was even more in-depth with fans...

Actually, the park DOES care what is posted on this forum, because as an article did for WindSeeker,they can and WILL quote from a fan site.

Only because where the hell else are they going to get quotes from? Thats just journalism. You've got to get your opinion somewhere. Strong opinions always make for good articles and we certainly have an abundance of that, just look at my post.

yOr they read our ideas on what to fix/talk about and were like...I think we said to much haha

Yea... sure they do. Goodness, lord knows all of our ideas about the crypt have certainly paid off.

The bottom line is that the people on this board are NOT Kings Islands ideal park goers. No matter how much you think the park loves you, they'd still rather have a good ol'e family of 4 any day. How much do you think the park makes off of the average 15 year old? Anyone here who talks about going to the park time after time after time this year. Why would the park want that?! What kind of money does the park make off of someone with a season pass who comes for the rides and shows, rarely plays any games, buys very little merchandise, knows that you can get water at every food stand, and knows exactly the best places to get food without spending much (relatively speaking of course).

Face it, chances are, anyone reading this post right now is not the kind of person KI is trying to cater to. FAMILY PARK! We want families!! KI doesn't want a bunch of people running around nit picking about theming here, paint jobs there, when spongebob doesn't use glasses or why one theater is shut down. They don't want people running around caring about what rides were removed or what are shut down. They want FAMILIES that COULD NOT CARE LESS! "Joe the plumber" rarely cares about the state of Crypt because he probably never saw it as TR or never remembers. All he wants is an $18 pizza with 3 $5 orders of fries and 4 $4 sodas for his family who each paid for a $35 one day ticket plus parking after he gives his kids each $15 to blow on games, right before they all go and get commemorative t-shirts, Eiffel Tower models, and some candy before they go and ride half a dozen rides and eat again! Now tally up how much KI makes off of you in your average visit.

Joe's family doesn't care that Peanuts is here and that Nick and HB are gone where all we do is ***** that they rethemed the kids area yet again. He doesn't care that the Huss Giant Topspin formerly known as Tomb Raider: The Ride is now an indoor ferris wheel. All he cares about is that his family is having a good time and he considers his money well spent for that. You think KI wants a bunch of people running around the park complaining about the changes they make? No, they want people that couldn't care less and don't know enough to care.

Say whatever you want, it all comes down to money. Sure if guests don't like the park they're not going to make money; unless of course they cater to guests that don't care enough to notice. KI is a business. Cedar Fair is a business. We're in a recession. They care about making money. When I used to go the the park as a guest, I'd take no more than $20 and never spend it all.

Think about how much money the park actually makes off of you. That should give you a pretty good idea of how much Cedar Fair values your patronage. Sure it all counts; but at the same time it's all relative. They would much rather have a nice juicy family of four than a group of four mid teen season pass holders.

yOr they read our ideas on what to fix/talk about and were like...I think we said to much haha

Yea... sure they do. Goodness, lord knows all of our ideas about the crypt have certainly paid off.

The bottom line is that the people on this board are NOT Kings Islands ideal park goers. No matter how much you think the park loves you, they'd still rather have a good ol'e family of 4 any day. How much do you think the park makes off of the average 15 year old? Anyone here who talks about going to the park time after time after time this year. Why would the park want that?! What kind of money does the park make off of someone with a season pass who comes for the rides and shows, rarely plays any games, buys very little merchandise, knows that you can get water at every food stand, and knows exactly the best places to get food without spending much (relatively speaking of course).

Face it, chances are, anyone reading this post right now is not the kind of person KI is trying to cater to. FAMILY PARK! We want families!! KI doesn't want a bunch of people running around nit picking about theming here, paint jobs there, when spongebob doesn't use glasses or why one theater is shut down. That all costs money!! They don't want people running around caring about what rides were removed or what are shut down. They want FAMILIES that COULD NOT CARE LESS! "Joe the plumber" rarely cares about the state of Crypt because he probably never saw it as TR or never remembers. All he wants is an $18 pizza with 3 $5 orders of fries and 4 $4 sodas for his family who each paid for a $35 one day ticket plus parking after he gives his kids each $15 to blow on games, right before they all go and get commemorative t-shirts, Eiffel Tower models, and some candy before they go and ride half a dozen rides and eat again! Now tally up how much KI makes off of you in your average visit.

Joe's family doesn't care that Peanuts is here and that Nick and HB are gone where all we do is ***** that they rethemed the kids area yet again. He doesn't care that the Huss Giant Topspin formerly known as Tomb Raider: The Ride is now an indoor ferris wheel. All he cares about is that his family is having a good time and he considers his money well spent for that. You think KI wants a bunch of people running around the park complaining about the changes they make? No, they want people that couldn't care less and don't know enough to care.

Say whatever you want, it all comes down to money. Sure if guests don't like the park they're not going to make money; unless of course they cater to guests that don't care enough to notice. KI is a business. Cedar Fair is a business. We're in a recession. They care about making money. When I used to go the the park as a guest, I'd take no more than $20 and never spend it all.

Think about how much money the park actually makes off of you. That should give you a pretty good idea of how much Cedar Fair values your patronage. Sure it all counts; but at the same time it's all relative. They would much rather have a nice juicy family of four than a group of four mid teen season pass holders.

Sadly, you may be correct. What they don't realize, however, is that we were not always the enthusiasts that we are today. Something (or many things) that the park did converted us from casual visitors to fanatics! And when we see the things that brought us back to the park years ago being taken from us, we see people who could become enthusiasts being disuaded from taking that step. I sincerely hope that Cedar Fair does, in fact, consider the views of long time enthusiasts, and does not change the things, no matter how small, that created us.

I truly think that if my first visit to Kings Island were today, I wouldn't be an enthusiast. When I started taking friends down to Cincinnati (four hours from our city) in 2008, a lot of them ended up saying "It's nice, but is it really that big of a deal?"

The things I cherished - the area appropriate music, the landscaping, the pre-shows, the little effects, the MINI Coopers, Tomb Raider: The Ride, the shade, the grand entry music, Scooby Doo... It sounds silly, but they honestly made the "Kings Island" that I knew and loved. Without them, the park is different. It just is. In my first visit in 2008, I remember actually feeling a dreadful feeling in the pit of my stomach - to know I was so close to Tomb Raider: The Ride but that it wasn't there was absolutely gut-wrenching for me. To know that such a sub-par ride was in its place... I specifically remember that first day of visiting the "new, old" Kings Island. And (here we go, folks) I truly felt like crying for a minute. The place I loved had become so foreign.

So when I bring friends today, and they say "It's okay, but what's the big deal?" I feel offended. But at the same time, I realize what they mean. I can go to Kings Island today and I can still imagine the music, and I can remember how the Paramount Story looked, and how The Italian Job felt, and how it felt to stand in Action Zone and be surrounded in movie posters and record-breaking rides, and how Tomb Raider absolutely blew my mind each and every time, and I can "coast" on those memories. They do not have those memories, and the only Kings Island they know is the one where rides are so "meticulously cared for," they end up with names like "Flight Deck" and "Drop Tower" and "The Crypt," and where food is so outrageous and poorly themed, they don't eat it, and where ridiculous pop tunes play in Rivertown, and where there's little-to-no shade and where ride's have visible speakers, water effects, fog machines, etc. that are just unused.

It's sad. But you're right. It's about money. I'm not saying that the park's previous owners didn't want money - they did. I just am absolutely appalled by the claim that Kings Island is back to the way it was in the 1980's. Would that Kings Island have offered refunds for the power-outage day? Would it have a ride named "Drop Tower?" "Flight Deck?" Would it have a ride in the same state as our Crypt? It hurts.

DeLorean - you make a great point.

The key thing for Cedar Fair to realize is, it is often the former 15 year old kids who become parents and are some of the first to bring their families back to the park, buy Season Passes for 4, spend money on food in the park, buy the t-shirts and play the games. I know many parents with kids the same age as mine who come once a year. Trying being an often visiting season pass holder with young kids and getting out without buying something.

As a business, they need to balance the short term and long term.

Edit (to add a response to the post by GYK). What made KI a magical place to me as a kid is also no longer the same, and yes, this makes me sad. But with my kids, I'm learning that the place still holds the magic - its just different. It is going to change, the key is to ensure it retains some magic for new and returning guests alike as it changes.

I have to say that as poor as some of Paramount's themes were, they were still very recognizable themes. Top Gun, Drop Zone, Face Off, Tomb Raider, Crocodile Dundee, James Bond, Congo, Hannah Barberra, Nickelodeon, Scooby Doo, Days of Thunder, Italian Job. Even just the name is enough to make an experience far more memorable. Flight Deck is a pretty easily forgettable experience but with a name like "Top Gun" it certainly sticks around a lot longer because its associated with the riders memories of the movie.

I truly think that if my first visit to Kings Island were today, I wouldn't be an enthusiast. When I started taking friends down to Cincinnati (four hours from our city) in 2008, a lot of them ended up saying "It's nice, but is it really that big of a deal?"

The things I cherished - the area appropriate music, the landscaping, the pre-shows, the little effects, the MINI Coopers, Tomb Raider: The Ride, the shade, the grand entry music, Scooby Doo... It sounds silly, but they honestly made the "Kings Island" that I knew and loved. Without them, the park is different. It just is. In my first visit in 2008, I remember actually feeling a dreadful feeling in the pit of my stomach - to know I was so close to Tomb Raider: The Ride but that it wasn't there was absolutely gut-wrenching for me. To know that such a sub-par ride was in its place... I specifically remember that first day of visiting the "new, old" Kings Island. And (here we go, folks) I truly felt like crying for a minute. The place I loved had become so foreign.

So when I bring friends today, and they say "It's okay, but what's the big deal?" I feel offended. But at the same time, I realize what they mean. I can go to Kings Island today and I can still imagine the music, and I can remember how the Paramount Story looked, and how The Italian Job felt, and how it felt to stand in Action Zone and be surrounded in movie posters and record-breaking rides, and how Tomb Raider absolutely blew my mind each and every time, and I can "coast" on those memories. They do not have those memories, and the only Kings Island they know is the one where rides are so "meticulously cared for," they end up with names like "Flight Deck" and "Drop Tower" and "The Crypt," and where food is so outrageous and poorly themed, they don't eat it, and where ridiculous pop tunes play in Rivertown, and where there's little-to-no shade and where ride's have visible speakers, water effects, fog machines, etc. that are just unused.

It's sad. But you're right. It's about money. I'm not saying that the park's previous owners didn't want money - they did. I just am absolutely appalled by the claim that Kings Island is back to the way it was in the 1980's. Would that Kings Island have offered refunds for the power-outage day? Would it have a ride named "Drop Tower?" "Flight Deck?" Would it have a ride in the same state as our Crypt? It hurts.

And that, my friend, is why you and I are so much alike! And why I often say that you say exactly what I'm thinking!!! Thank you for that post!

I may be in the minority, but when I think about what I consider excellence in theme - I'm not drawn to good ride themes, I enjoy good area/park theme.

Not saying that ride theme can't be good, it's just not enough on it's own for me - and a well themed ride that is out of place can be detrimental.

You guys make great points. Regarding themeing just because they cant name things after movies they should still try and make their own cool themes,i mean heck with crypt im sure they could spend a fairly small amount of money and just put cheap rocks or caskets and webbing or something like that to make it look like an actual "crypt"(i know theres some stuff on the walls but you can hardly see it and you dont usually see crypts with concreate floors and giant sliding doors on the wall) :-) . And for real the music during the ride,spend a couple bucks and get music that makes scence(i still dont know whats with the wolf and the, well, whatever that sound is when ride stops and backs into its locked position). but yea anything but an empty room. I don't know how many people go "thats it" afterwards.

Sorry I felt like venting lol after u guys talked about how they dont care about stuff like themeing. This one is one of my bigest ones that bother me.

But yea the point were all makeing CF is it wont take much spend a little and people will enjoy their experiance more and get their friends and family to go more often. Most of the things we are all asking for really are simple and cheap to implement.

Don't worry man, we're all wanting that from the crypt, last night I was actually thinking if it were possible for them to replace parts in a different way so that the ride doesn't tear itself apart anymore... and it could have a cycle that's closer to the original. Or better than the original :o

But I highly doubt that's possible. I don't think you can make gears and motors assembled in a new way once the ride is built.

I guess all we can really hope for is for the ride to at least do something that The ferris wheel hasn't already been doing for many years. Maybe actually flip the rows, unlike now where they just lock it. I don't know though... I just kinda figure people don't mention it as much since ranting about it after all this time with no change, doesn't really help.