First Time To Holiday World

This Saturday I will be making my first trip to Holiday World and I was wondering what is the best route to take to ride all the rides, with 3 coasters I know this won't be too hard. I am looking forward to riding Voyage as well, can I hear some of your reviews on not only that, but Legend and Raven as well?

You're in Jasper and have never been to Holiday World? :lol:

Do Raven, then Legend, then Voyage. This is the order that I did them my first time, and in my opinion the order from worst to best. That's not to say that one is bad, all 3 are better woodies then any wood at KI, IMO. Raven is resembles what Beast should have been, Legend is an ideal wooden coaster with positive, negative, and lateral G's abound, and Voyage is z0mfg. I suggest you try Voyage in the front B)

Don't forget to try out all of the other things at Holiday World, Liberty Launch is surprisingly good, HallowSwings are for some reason epic, if you like Boo Blasters you'll love Gobler Gateway, and I think their waterpark is fantastic....and I'm not a waterway guy!

This Saturday I will be making my first trip to Holiday World and I was wondering what is the best route to take to ride all the rides, with 3 coasters I know this won't be too hard. I am looking forward to riding Voyage as well, can I hear some of your reviews on not only that, but Legend and Raven as well?

If the water park is still open the dry side empties out about 12-1 and stays that way till...maybe 4 or so. My first trip I started with Raven-It is amazingly good, especially for how small it is. Awesome use of terrain. Then Legend, another great woodie with some great airtime hills. Both of these had small lines early in the day everytime I went. Then Voyage. Voyage has opened late when Iw as there so I'd suggest hitting it when the crowds go to the water park... otherwise you'll have a wait cuz many head there at opening.

The water park...if you do them, is a must. I had a blast and didn;t ride a single slide (except Wildebeast-don't miss it and get there as soon as the water park opens!) cuz I was with my 2 yr old daughter.

I was really impressed with this park and have thought of it like it was my home park since my first visit. It is so incredibly positive and all staff are friendly and helpful. I'm glad you're going cuz you'll have a great time at a very special park!

EDIT: Ha ha Jackson for beating me to reply with about the same answer... except for putting Raven below Legend. It's a solid tie my friendsmile.gif

I am not going to do the waterpark this time, we are mainly going for the coasters. I was also reading on Wikipedia, I know it is Wikipeda, and it said that Voyage would begin thoroughly testing the Timberliner trains on August 15th when it opened up for Weekends. It also said that they would begin use at this time as well, has anyone heard any truth to this?

I am going with my parents and a friend and even though water slides and stuff are an escape from the heat, we are just not interested on this trip. How long of lines should I be anticipating for the coasters, I know it is a Saturday and all.

My two cents...

• I would ride Raven first thing if you are getting there at opening as the line tends to get lengthy since it is currently minus a train. IMO, it is best experienced in the very last row.
  • Ride Voyage in the front seat. It is awesome to see everything speeding by and it makes for a much much smoother ride.
  • Don't miss Liberty Launch!!!
  • Gobbler Getaway is a ton of fun if you like shooting dark rides, wayyyy better then Boo Blasters (which I like a lot).
  • If you are into spinning rides both HallowSwings and Scrambler are some of the best of their kinds

Hope you have a great trip!

^^ I didn't enjoy Gobbler Getaway personally, guns didn't work even with a 1ft distance, and the music wasn't really my style.

But the thanksgiving meal restaurant (don't know the name, but it's right between voyage and gobbler getaway, with tables outside) Is such a great deal, you can get a kids portion and still be filled for only 5 bucks, as apposed to 12 at Kings Island. Remember, fountain drinks are free all day everyday. ;) [i suggest the chicken dumplings, with stuffing, and corn bread muffin]

Yes, get there at opening, ride Raven, then Legend, then Voyage. That way lines won't be too terribly long for Raven. (Raven is actually really fun, I'd mark it barely better than any woodie at KI, legend is great in any seat. Ride Voyage in front as it has gotten rougher (especially if you ride the recycled raven train [owch])

Don't miss liberty Launch, and the water coaster is pretty fun, but it's up to you if you want to wait the hour long line.

If you actually spend a good hour at the water park (which is all you need for the ones I liked) ride otorongo but the one in the middle, it has some crazy fun airtime... and the zoombabwe ride. Everything else isn't too special, but they are all still fun.

Raging Rapids is actually pretty lame. KI's is much better, and I stress much. - Might as well ride Eagles flight since KI doesn't have one, I should've ridden it since I never rode Flying Eagles... :(

And pilgrim's plunge is moderately fun, but it's not really worth a wait more than a generous 15 minutes... the restraints ruin the ride... you don't feel scared at all. I think that's about it, everything else either, isn't extremely fun, or is at KI.

Please understand this is just, and only just my opinion of the park based off my trips in 08 and 10.

I am not going to do the waterpark this time, we are mainly going for the coasters. I was also reading on Wikipedia, I know it is Wikipeda, and it said that Voyage would begin thoroughly testing the Timberliner trains on August 15th when it opened up for Weekends. It also said that they would begin use at this time as well, has anyone heard any truth to this?

oooo... no wildebeast? honestly tho you could totally hit the waterpark and ALL the rides in the park easy. just sayin :)

But the thanksgiving meal restaurant (don't know the name, but it's right between voyage and gobbler getaway, with tables outside) Is such a great deal, you can get a kids portion and still be filled for only 5 bucks, as apposed to 12 at Kings Island. Remember, fountain drinks are free all day everyday. ;) [i suggest the chicken dumplings, with stuffing, and corn bread muffin]

Yes, get there at opening, ride Raven, then Legend, then Voyage. That way lines won't be too terribly long for Raven. (Raven is actually really fun, I'd mark it barely better than any woodie at KI, legend is great in any seat. Ride Voyage in front as it has gotten rougher (especially if you ride the recycled raven train [owch])

I totally second this restaurant choice!! $10 for an entree and 3 sides, plus the free drinks. its awesome. and i'll second gobbler getaway being awesome!!! and again with the Raven, Legend, Voyage order :) personally i <3 Legend :)

^^ I didn't enjoy Gobbler Getaway personally, guns didn't work even with a 1ft distance, and the music wasn't really my style.

But the thanksgiving meal restaurant (don't know the name, but it's right between voyage and gobbler getaway, with tables outside) Is such a great deal, you can get a kids portion and still be filled for only 5 bucks, as apposed to 12 at Kings Island. Remember, fountain drinks are free all day everyday. wink.gif [i suggest the chicken dumplings, with stuffing, and corn bread muffin]

Don't miss liberty Launch, and the water coaster is pretty fun, but it's up to you if you want to wait the hour long line.

If you actually spend a good hour at the water park (which is all you need for the ones I liked) ride otorongo but the one in the middle, it has some crazy fun airtime... and the zoombabwe ride. Everything else isn't too special, but they are all still fun.

Raging Rapids is actually pretty lame. KI's is much better, and I stress much. - Might as well ride Eagles flight since KI doesn't have one, I should've ridden it since I never rode Flying Eagles... sad.gif

And pilgrim's plunge is moderately fun, but it's not really worth a wait more than a generous 15 minutes... the restraints ruin the ride... you don't feel scared at all. I think that's about it, everything else either, isn't extremely fun, or is at KI.

Please understand this is just, and only just my opinion of the park based off my trips in 08 and 10.

Yep! The chicken & dumplings at Plymouth Rock Cafe are excellent! And the food prices are wonderful. But I believe that The Voyage is better in the back, but I'm kinda old school when it comes to roller coasters! Since Raven is running only one train, wait until mid afternoon, the line will die down to a near walk on. And I always enjoy ther dive show as well.

I went this summer to Holiday World on the Tuesday after the Fourth of July and the place was packed. Voyage had a half hour wait in the morning and was the first woodie I rode when I got to the park. Both Raven and Legend had 1 hour + lines. That afternoon, however, Raven and Legend both had less than a half an hour wait. I'd expect it to be the same way on a Saturday.

Basically, wait 'til late afternoon if you don't want insane lines for the roller coasters. Also, don't miss out on Liberty Launch and Gobbler Getaway, especially if it is a warm day out!

Also, if you get the chance, take a ride on Frightful Falls. I personally prefer it to Pilgrim's Plunge, and the wait is nearly as long!

I don't know if you have any little ones going with you, but I'd definitely check out Holidog's Fun Town if you do! It's a small area, but it's packed with fun things for little kids!

Also, the Lewis & Clark Trail is a great ride to just sit back and relax, especially if you've finished all of the coasters.

Food wise, I definitely prefer Plymouth Rock Cafe. Great food for a super low price! If you're not in the Thanksgiving vicinity however, I prefer Goblin Burger's chicken strips. Good stuff!

Alright well after my trip to the park yesterday with fighting31irish I must admit, I was very impressed. So impressed I am considering buying a Season Pass to there next year due to the drive not being long at all and the overall atmosphere of the park. The things I liked about the park were obviously the free parking, and the Pepsi Oasis located throughout the park. Then there is Raven, which I didn't get to ride until last because of the long line in the morning. It was a very fun coaster, don't let the size fool you though, this coaster makes it's run on the course worth while. Got to ride it 3 times, all in the back, the last two were around 4:30 and we stayed on for 2 consecutive rides. A very nice woodie which I would rate very high amongst my wooden coasters. Now on to the biggest disappointment of the trip, for me at least, Legend. After a 20-30 minute wait as soon as we got to the park and a ride in row 2 I was really down on this coaster. It was very rough, had little to no airtime, and the final helix was not even thrilling to me, remember this is just my opinion of the ride. I also rode it once more in the very back row later on during the day, which also did not give me any better of a ride. The only thing I liked about this coaster was the first drop into the tunnel and the howling right before you go down the lift hill. I was not very impressed with Legend. Then there was Pilgrim's Plunge, which again I was not very impressed with, even though we waited little to no time. The best part of the ride in my opinion was the elevator ride up, very uneasy feeling if you ask me. Snake River Falls, and Shoot The Rapids first drops are much more thrilling than Pilgrims', but then again they are meant to get you wet not to thrill you on a drop. Then my biggest surprise of the day goes to Liberty Launch. Even though the tower is not that tall, I have never gotten so much airtime out of my seat on a drop ride. MY shoulders were hitting against the restraint every time we would hit the peak of the tower, a very fun turbo shot ride, better than Power Tower almost. We also rode Scarecrow's Scrambler and Hallow Swings, which both took me by shock and made me want WindSeeker that much more. Oh yeah, I almost forgot one.....Voyage.

There is really not much to say to describe this wooden behemoth but simply and utterly, amazing! First ride was in the very front seat and I was blown away by the sheer grade of steepness on the first drop. I got a good view of everything as we came to it and I literally had no idea what to expect. The triple down was amazing and provided great airtime throughout. Then my last two rides were in the very back seat which to me was better than the front. Going over the crest of the lift throws you out of your seat and never lets up until you hit the bottom. The tunnels also took me by surprise seeing as you cannot really see them at all until you are right up on them. We got to ride in the Blue train twice and the Red train once. As people on here have stated, the Blue train definitely gave a much better ride than the red one. This coaster now breaks into my top 5 list of all coasters period. This machine was built for speed and speed, airtime, and Maverick-eque intensity throughout the whole ride.

Overall a great trip to Holiday World, met Adam (pkiboy) for the first time and got to talk for a little while which was really cool considering I had not met anyone on these forums in my almost 6 year stint. I definitely look forward to going back again. Thanks for reading!

Raven-8.5/10

Legend-4/10

Voyage-10/10

Liberty Launch-9/10

Scarecrow Scrambler-6/10

Hallow Swings-6/10

Pilgrim's Plunge-5/10

Guest rcfreak339

^Glad you had a good time!!

Am I the only one who ranks Voyage lower then Raven and Legend? I agree that Voyage is amazing but I just love Legend so much more. It's fast, smooth and one of the most incredible layouts of any coaster in my opinion.

I also prefer Raven to Legend. Raven and Voyage - I'll take Voyage once or twice, but could ride Raven all day long.

Raven has my very favorite element on any coaster I've ever ridden.

A certain element on Raven tops all... And by far!

I am also a fan of a certain element on Raven.

Very true, Jasper. Although I'm not too sure about liberty launch being sub par to power tower. I rode the "shot" for power tower to compare to HW's and I found power tower to be very tame. The most joy I found in it was the cool breeze, and how quickly we got up, and how high. Seems like there's more things I like in power tower, but the intensity of liberty launch just makes liberty take a higher pedestal to power tower. But that's just my opinion.

P.S. Is anyone else suddenly amused so much easier when you sit in a flat ride as opposed to a coaster? I kinda found that odd, when I first noticed myself doing this.

Sounds like you had a great time Jasper! And that is insane, assuming that you actually do live in the town of Jasper, that you have never visited the world of holidays!

I for one, whom visits Holiday World quite often, much prefer Voyage over Raven, and Raven over Legend. Simply for the fact that I am a major fan of airtime compared to laterals. It's just my preference.

Too bad you couldn't have went on Sunday then I may have had the chance to meet you!

I accompanied Jasper on this trip and had a hell of a time...and Jasper, I would put Raven over Legend as well...excluding the Behemoth's "HELL YEAH!!!" That may have been a high point of the day. Thanks again Jasper.

I thought you went to HW and not CW in Toronto tongue.gif