PLATINUM PASS PRICING UP AT CAROWINDS

Three levels of passes, platinum $150 for regular ($145 renewal), $92 for jr./sr., includes free parking, admission to the 2011 SCarowinds' Halloween Haunt AND admission to all Cedar Fair amusement and outdoor waterparks.

http://www.carowinds...passes/2011.cfm

For new 2011 passes, Free 2010 visit day of purchase ONLY if bought at front gate at Carowinds...

DOES THE PLATINUM PASS FOR 2011 INCLUDE FREE PARKING AT OTHER Cedar Fair PARKS?

http://www.carowinds.com/public/admission/passes/pass_benefits.cfm

This seems to be very craftily written such that it may or may not....

I paid $145 to renew my Platinum Pass last year...the same price as this year.

My question remains, does the Platinum Pass offer free parking at other Cedar Fair parks? The way the website is written, it may not...free admission to other Cedar Fair parks...not a word about parking...

Also, the pricing was NOT uniform from park to park last year. Cedar Point, for instance, did not offer the same discount for renewals.

$150? Weren't Platinum Passes $160 last year? And there's not even an "offer only good until Oct. 31st" type stamp... Am I missing something, or has the price really apparently dropped?

You apparently missed this, from the webpage:

Hurry - offer ends Oct. 31, 2010!

Also, the benefits page refers to 2010 still....

Scarowinds is an upcharge attraction for all but gold and Platinum Pass holders...

Note also there are issues with how Carowinds has characterized the jr./sr. categories....they aren't quite right! :)

Ages 3-61 and under 48" tall in shoes –

Who is a senior? I know, but they didn't tell us. Is a 7 foot tall senior allowed to buy ANY pass? Not according to the categories they have set up! :)

Doesn't matter...at least in early 2010, a Platinum Pass from a non-Carowinds park got you only difficulties and, at least in one case, comments tantamount to allegations of theft when attempting to attain entry to Carowinds on the second consecutive day....No, sir, you have already been in the park, we cannot let you in, and you really should be truthful, sir. Let me get a manager sir...whereupon the next manager repeated that same story, and on and on.

Terp, of the long memory, who expected more of a place that calls itself the Fun and Only, one run by the CEO's son...the most qualified individual possible to run Cedar Fair's Carolina Showplace...

Didn't KI have the deal during that "We're charging for Haunt, no wait - it's free with a pass, just kidding we're charging, no wait - it's free with your pass" phase in which Haunt was ONLY included with Gold passes, not normal season passes? I think I remember having to write an article about that.

• Like 1

Yes, they did....and changed the policy twice, while claiming they had not...I believe they really wanted to charge for Haunt, and found that they didn't really have the intestinal fortitude to go forward with the plan. Remember, it had not been that long since they had attempted to do away with gold season passes (and the public gently revolted, by simply not buying as many season passes), and the economy was in the doldrums and looked to not get better any time soon...Once pricing integrity has been thrown to the wind, it is very difficult to get it back...

Six Flags was going through similar pricing/policy turmoil at that time, too. One of the first things Shapiro/Snyder tried was an attempt at starting a NO RE-ENTRY policy all season long. That lasted...oh...about three weeks, and that during the time most of their parks were still closed for the off-season. Their public reacted very similarly to that at FUN. They largely stopped buying passes, they stopped going to the few open parks in anywhere near as large a numbers, and the company quickly relented.

I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere on the board. Direct from the Cedar Point website:

2011 Cedar Fair Platinum Pass

Valid for admission* and FREE parking to Cedar Point, Soak City and all other Cedar Fair parks and outdoor waterparks. Children 2 & under are free.

*Platinum Passes are not valid at any seasonal events at which an additional admission fee is charged.

See the link below for additional details.

http://www.cedarpoin...asses/index.cfm

I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere on the board. Direct from the Cedar Point website:

2011 Cedar Fair Platinum Pass

Valid for admission* and FREE parking to Cedar Point, Soak City and all other Cedar Fair parks and outdoor waterparks. Children 2 & under are free.

*Platinum Passes are not valid at any seasonal events at which an additional admission fee is charged.

See the link below for additional details.

http://www.cedarpoin...asses/index.cfm

I think the part of the link after... says it all.

Was at CP all weekend. My group intentionally ate in park because we had spent little in park this year and were feeling good about how nice KI and CP have been looking. During that meal we excitedly talked about doing the same during the Halloween events. If we must pay extra for the haunts, we will not go and I'll spend that money on other leisure activities.

Not really upset (yet) but I think it's a bad move on their park.