Kings Island Collectors

Coney Islander

I collect a lot of park maps and I mean a lot, from every park I go to, Cedar Point gets stingy and doesn't put theirs out in the open like KI or Holiday World does. I also collect a ton of shot glasses and I have some from the Paramount era that could be worth some money someday, or at least I like to think that way. I also try and buy T-Shirt from every where I go.

I get a t-shirt from every park I go to. The only time I wear my amusement park shirts is when I actually visit an amusement park. I usually wear my Beast t-shirt when I visit any park for a day, but when we do a vacation I pack three or four. :) I bought a 10th Anniversary Millennium Force shirt this year at Cedar Point which I really like.

I don't pick up park maps from parks that I'm familiar with (Cedar Point, Holiday World, Kings Island) and when I pick up a map at a new park I usually glance at it for a while and put it back in its spot when I've gotten the layout memorized. I usually go into a new park with a gameplan, so maps don't do anything important for me.

I collect glasses, plates, steins, tea sets and mugs from parks. Mainly KI and CP, though I recently found a Geauga Lake stein at a Goodwill. There are so many of those types of things that people give up to the Goodwill or thrift stores. Whenever I'm in one I peruse the glass isle and usually find something. If it looks unique I scoop it up.

At the Goodwill the other day there were about 5 Fred Flintstone coffee mugs that I didn't think too much about until I turned one over and it had a Kings Island price tag on it. Looked like it was not too old, but I didn't grab any since they didn't have Kings Island on the actual glass wear. But it was still fun to find.

Love this Topic Im in the process of gettign new shelves because I'm running out of room in my closet with all the coaster shirts I have I prob have over 200+ shirts from all the parks ive been to.

Now as far a Park maps ask a few members on hear they have been to parks with me and know how I collect maps LOL.

I have Tons of Paramount stuff from when I worked at the park and stuff that wasnt even sold in the shops.

I will take a pic and upload it some time just so yall can see what I have.

I have two Paramount Parks Spongebob Squarepants souveneir cups from 03' and 06'. I also have a Spongebob shirt that I got when they were handing them out when I was 6 years old also from 03'. I have a 2010 park map that I plan to keep forever. I have a Fear the Four cup from last year, a DB cup from this year, and a Firehawk cup from 2007. I have a souveneir mug from last year with my name on it. Also my mom has a deck of round playing cards that had Screamin' Demon on them along with the old Kings Island logo. I'm guessing they were from around 30 years ago. So I'm guessing I'm doing alright as for souvenir collectin'.smile.gif

EDIT: my small (but growing) KI collection.

100_0373.jpg

I have various souvinior cups including a hangman cup from opryland,and a Kings Island 25th anniversry cup. When it comes to shot glasses I have an americana shot glasses,a 1982 worlds fair shot glass, and a geauga lake shot glass.My most prized collectable is a Kings Island bat roller coaster mug.Those are some of the thing in my collection that are unique and special to me.

I am not trying to throw a wet dishrag on this thread. Honest.

But the most precious things I have collected from Kings Island are memories...of experiences with people I can never go to the park with again. And those memories are very precious to me. The park is now and has for many years been a very special place for me. I can sit by the fountain and remember discussing life, the universe and everything with many different friends over the years...one of whom I lost less than five weeks after that discussion, very unexpectedly.

Not all things collected are tangible.

• Like 7

I have:

2009 Kroger KI Ticket (Spongebob on it)

2010 Kroger KI Ticket (Diamondback on it)\

2008 Kings Island Park Map (didn't go that year, but my sister gave me this map and it's the main reason I really started wanting to return to KI...)

2009 Kings Island Park Map (2 of them)

2010 Kings Island Park Map

Diamondback Collector's Cup (Gift from friend when he went a second time in 2009)

2010 Holiday World Park Map

Raven Postcard

Legend Postcard

Voyage Postcard

2010 Cedar Point Ticket (Another "Gift" from sister...)

And a whole lotta memories...very much the most valuable of all.;)

I have two Kings Island ash trays from about 1974; both of which my wife bought at Brown's Market Antiques in Hamilton before the start of the 2009 season. I had them on KIC, but the post was apparently archived. They are the size and shape of medium-sized dinner plates, and have little 1/2-inch tiles of different colors going around a printed picture of the park in the center (complete with the Sky Ride). If I can find what i did with the pictures, I'll post them back on here; they were really well-preserved (never used as ash trays, but more as display plates it seems).

I also have a yellow "Gilligan" style hat from Paramount's Kings Island, circa 2003, two Diamondback "first rider" shirts that have never been worn (I was actually like, rider number 5200), and an "Italian Job Stunt Coaster" shirt from 2005, and a plastic photo "viewer" key chain from last season.

They are the size and shape of medium-sized dinner plates, and have little 1/2-inch tiles of different colors going around a printed picture of the park in the center (complete with the Sky Ride). If I can find what i did with the pictures, I'll post them back on here; they were really well-preserved (never used as ash trays, but more as display plates it seems).

I have a couple little glass plates that show the old sky ride. I think the old stuff with rides that I wasn't around to check out are the coolest. Also have a little mug with some rides, including Flight Commander, on it. I was around for that one, but still interesting.

I'll try to get some pics of my small collection on here soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...