Summer 2010

Jasper

Now that daily operation has ceased, the nights are getting colder, and Haunt decor is becoming a common sight all around the park, these are sure signs that another summer has indeed came, and passed at Kings Island. School is back in session, everyone is sharing stories of the fun times they have had this summer at the park. I would like to ask KIC the same exact question and ask you all to share your stories of the summer of 2010. What fun times do you remember at the park, what people you were with, what you all did to make it memorable.

For me, this summer has been filled to the brim with KI trips, some on the way home from concerts in Columbus, some on the way home from our neighbor park to the north, and some just out of the sheer hunch to go to the park on a pretty day. I have gotten to see Diamondback behind the scenes from a perspective not many people get to see, I also experienced Boomerang Bay for the first time in my life this summer. Overall this season at KI has been one of my fondest summers yet, from waking up at 5 AM on opening day and getting to the park around 7:30'ish and waiting until they let people in and sprinting to Diamondback, to leaving on those hot summer nights after a ride on The Beast. I have thoroughly enjoyed this season with all of my friends and even sometime my family, and that is what Kings Island is all about. Sure it is about the thrills and the coasters and the midway games, but most importantly it is about making memories that will last a lifetime and sharing them with those that are near and dear to your heart as well.

Kings Island, thank you for another Summer of fun and excitement, bring on Haunt!

10 trips over the summer, most of them with the wife and kids. Best memory is the excitement in my son's eyes during his first Beast ride. Vortex and Racer rides with him follow, nothing like a 6 year old screaming wooooooo while cresting the second large hill on Racer :) He doesn't wanna ride Drop Tower a second time though, lol. I also got over my fear of tall coasters and wanting to close my eyes on the drops.

I'll never forget the horrible morning/afternoon spent watching the rain come POURING down and the rides parked :( The skies cleared by evening though and we got to ride to our hearts content. I also met Purplehaze (very nice person) that evening and took my first ride on Drop Tower.

All in all in was great summer and I look forward to plenty more.

I was very happy to take part in the Coasting for Kids Event and look forward to the next.

I hadn't been to Kings Island for a few years before this summer. My daughter loved Beastie (sorry, I refuse to call it anything else) but was too short to ride anything bigger. Then life got in the way and we kind of forgot KI for a while. I never got to ride SOB.

At the beginning of this summer, her mother tells me she needs a season pass because she had a couple of visits planned with friends. What the heck, I love rides, I'll get one for myself too and take her down as well. We end up going every week on Tuesday or Wednesday when I can clear my work commitments.

She started the summer at 54.00000001 inches in shoes, depending on which ride op measured her. Perfect. We started on The Racer and worked her up from there. She is now the undisputed Princess of the Diamondback ™, 10 year old division.

I got to ride Diamondback, Invertigo, Flight of Fear, Firehawk, Vortex, and Adventure Express for the first time. I added a dozen or so more rides on my favorite flats - Drop Tower and Delirium, and an additional Sling Shot. I rekindled my childhood love for Beast and Racer (I am old enough - barely - to have ridden Beast in its first year of operation).

I have a new top five rides: 1) Drop Tower, 2) Diamondback, 3) Delirium, 4) Beast, 5) Invertigo.

What a great summer! I feel like a kid again.

And the summer's not over. Still six weekends left.........

This has been a spring and summer of dramatic transition for me...things changing, unexpectedly, learning what is most important (again), learning that a park visit of less than an hour can be good for the soul, meeting new friends and cherishing long time friends, finding comfort in parks...from Busch Gardens Williamsburg to Kings Dominion, from Carowinds to Kings Island to Dorney Park (which never fails to make me happy in a way that only I can truly understand), Great Adventure, Maple Grove (yes, I do love the place...but it's still Maple Grove to me), and most of all learning yet again to never, ever take for granted what you have today.

Talking to the long time locomotive engineer on the Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad at length...

Watching Security deal with teens at Camden Park...

Seeing and talking to Will Koch at length the first night of Holiwood Nights, the first time I had been in many a year, and not knowing that would be the last time I would ever see him. And talking at length to his wonderful mother, both then and later...

And plotting ways to get to other things I've not done in recent years, like industry trade shows (no, not IAAPA, but another one in Florida with a group of people who have become quite dear to me and who have proven in numerous ways that friends are there for you when you need them most).

Heck, I might even go to a Halloween Haunt at some Cedar Fair park...nah, who am I kidding? More like a Boofest at Busch and/or Halloweekends at Cedar Point during the day and maybe even Nick or Treat...at Mall of America. As some of you know, since 2001 I can't get myself to do Haunts anymore...though I did make it to Kennywood one strange Friday night a few years ago...and pretended it wasn't scary...

This has been a year I doubt I have been in Kings Island 10 hours total all year, during nearly as many visits, and yet each of those visits has been very important to me. Going to state fairs, county fairs, carnivals, festivals, bazaars, seeing old friends and meeting new ones...

And thanks again to those of you who have been there for me this year. It's been a rough one for me in many ways, but I'm making it...and I thank each and every one of you.

These are the times you will look back on fondly some day. Cherish these times. Nothing is forever.

Terp, who yet again has learned that life's lesson...yet again. Thanks, dear friends. Thanks. And thanks to the good people at KIC and Kings Island for putting up with me for yet another year. The adventure goes on....and the magic of Al has moved to another locale, Qs are to be asked and wondered about, interpreting is to be done!

Essayons!

Summer of 2010 was incredible. I went to Cedar Point, Michigan's Adventure, and Indiana Beach for the first time. I rode my first hyper, my first giga, and my first invert this year. I had visits to KI with friends, family, and my girlfriend. I really learned to enjoy the park as a park and not just a collection of rides. Many good times, many memories...can't wait for all of the ones to come!

Well, this summer was my first working summer. Sweeping at Kings Island was probably the most eye-opening experience for me in terms of what it takes to run a business. It was a wonderful learning process with many benefits like free park entry for example. Also, going to Cedar Point for 4 days was a blast. This summer was probably one of the best summers of my life.

This has been a spring and summer of dramatic transition for me...things changing, unexpectedly, learning what is most important (again), learning that a park visit of less than an hour can be good for the soul, meeting new friends and cherishing long time friends, finding comfort in parks...from Busch Gardens Williamsburg to Kings Dominion, from Carowinds to Kings Island to Dorney Park (which never fails to make me happy in a way that only I can truly understand), Great Adventure, Maple Grove (yes, I do love the place...but it's still Maple Grove to me), and most of all learning yet again to never, ever take for granted what you have today.

Talking to the long time locomotive engineer on the Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad at length...

Watching Security deal with teens at Camden Park...

Seeing and talking to Will Koch at length the first night of Holiwood Nights, the first time I had been in many a year, and not knowing that would be the last time I would ever see him. And talking at length to his wonderful mother, both then and later...

And plotting ways to get to other things I've not done in recent years, like industry trade shows (no, not IAAPA, but another one in Florida with a group of people who have become quite dear to me and who have proven in numerous ways that friends are there for you when you need them most).

Heck, I might even go to a Halloween Haunt at some Cedar Fair park...nah, who am I kidding? More like a Boofest at Busch and/or Halloweekends at Cedar Point during the day and maybe even Nick or Treat...at Mall of America. As some of you know, since 2001 I can't get myself to do Haunts anymore...though I did make it to Kennywood one strange Friday night a few years ago...and pretended it wasn't scary...

This has been a year I doubt I have been in Kings Island 10 hours total all year, during nearly as many visits, and yet each of those visits has been very important to me. Going to state fairs, county fairs, carnivals, festivals, bazaars, seeing old friends and meeting new ones...

And thanks again to those of you who have been there for me this year. It's been a rough one for me in many ways, but I'm making it...and I thank each and every one of you.

These are the times you will look back on fondly some day. Cherish these times. Nothing is forever.

Terp, who yet again has learned that life's lesson...yet again. Thanks, dear friends. Thanks. And thanks to the good people at KIC and Kings Island for putting up with me for yet another year. The adventure goes on....and the magic of Al has moved to another locale, Qs are to be asked and wondered about, interpreting is to be done!

Essayons!

Beautiful-brought a tear to my eye. Even in the roughest of times, there is beauty to be seen.

What a year it's been! I can't possibly write as genuinely and sum up my feelings any more eloquently than everyone else here has, but this has been yet another summer that I have come to understand as one of the best of my life. It's so cliche, and it's so silly, but I'm nineteen years old and this summer has meant a great deal to me - it felt for a while that this may be my last summer of "unrestrained" fun, being able to drive to the beach, expendable income galore, fantastic friends, and (due to many outside circumstances) a new view of life.

This year, I took a week long visit to Busch Gardens Williamsburg & our own Kings Dominion, and learned so much about myself, my interpersonal relationships, and what I want from life. The memories I have from that trip are not about roller coasters, wait times, food prices, ride operation, or anything else so material - yes it is a cliche brought on from a newly released CD, but I truly came to understand that I'm living a "teenage dream." Everyone, everywhere, of any age, who can allow themselves to be carried away by adventure, or by science, or by new, uncomfortable, but rewarding experiences is living that dream, and I know many folks here who are living proof - age is nothing. If you can find the beauty and adventure in life, live that "teenage dream" by making incredible relationships and living exactly as you must to do the best good and live as authentically as you can, things like roller coasters do fade away.

I don't remember which of my half dozen rides on Apollo's Chariot was the best, or which seat gave me the smoothest ride. But the way my best friend Alexa screeched her way over the hills, the funny faces she made, and the excitement with which she lived for that experience will stay with me forever.

What The Interpreter said in other thread really made me think. When discussing The Crypt (or, "it," whatever that may be), he said that the ride we have now is, in and of itself, a unique & grand experience. How true it is, and how wrong I have been in the past. These silly individual amusement rides sum up to nothing. The memories I have on that ride and many others, though, do shape me, and make me who I am. What a fantastic world we live in, and how grateful I am for Kings Island, other theme parks, beaches, discussion boards, friends, communities, families, pets, and strangers for making this world an adventurous place to live!

I agree. An excellent post by one of the cherished long time members of this site.

I myself have not been on KIC as much this summer as I have in the past, because of my full time job, AND working at Coney Island on the weekends. (In fact, I`ve had only one day off since May 23rd! and that day off was July 5th. For those keeping track, that is 107 days of work with one day off. I`m in a the home stretch right now that could end up seeing me work 74 days in a row, although i may cut it short to 73 days if I head up to Cedar Point next Friday!) Somehow, I still have managed to visit Kings Island many many times throughout the season, and even visited Holiday World and Carowinds this year!

Just continued to enjoy DB-am at 1038 rides and counting. Most of all, I enjoyed fun times with all of my DB buddies, including Gary, Darlene, Derek, Brian, Andrew, Don, Karen, Roger and both Adams. Look forward to seeing you all at Haunt. Also, a note of thanks to the great ride crews, especially the DB and Beast crews. We all appreciate what an awesome job you do.

Jasper - great thread.

All - I've enjoyed reading your responses. Here is mine.

This summer began with a winter trip to BGT and a spring trip to Dollywood. It also included a weekend at Holliwod Nights, fathers day at Cedar Point, and SoCal fun at Knott's, Legoland, and Belmont Park. There were also many trips to KI along the way. So let me begin by saying that I recognize that I'm blessed and lucky to be able to do all that and have a family that puts up with and/or enjoys parks like I do. Memories from the year include:

- Riding some incredible rides for the first time: Montu, Maverick, Silver Bullet, Raven, Voyage, Thunderhead

- Meeting new and riding with both new and old friends

- My 6 year old looping for the first time on Tennessee Tornado, and riding so many more with him (Vortex, Magnum, Ghostrider jump to mind)

- My 4 year old conquering Flying Ace, Shake Rattle & Roll, and Surf Dog

- A special morning Train tour with KIC friends

- Many Diamondback rides with those I've met on the train and in line over the past two years, including the first train of the year (yes I'm too old and out of shape, but I beat a lot of he younger crowd!)

- The atmosphere of the parks I've visited. It's about so much more than the coasters

- The inspiration of the people I've met - I met Will Koch and his Mom one weekend in my life, yet there is much I take from that experience

Once again, I'm reminded that the best times are those spent with friends and family doing something I love. Twice this year, I saw my kids choose not to ride a ride because a friend was too short or scared. They had more fun walking through Snoopy's Starlight and riding RFYLCB with a friend than something else alone.

I'd also like to thank all those who's hard work allows me to enjoy KI and all amusement parks. From park services to ride ops, from food to maintenance - your efforts help make being a coaster/park fan th experience it is.

OK, where do I start? Let's go back to 1996 and age 9, when my mom talked me onto The Racer—my first "big" coaster. That ride spooked me so bad that, as of this spring, I had not been back to KI or any other amusement park since. Fast forward to this May (now age 23), I saw a TV commercial for KI's Gold Pass, got online and looked at it, checked my (tight) budget, and decided to go for it. My first visit, I hit up some of the smaller coasters, such as Flight Deck, BLSC, AE, and The Racer. I found that I would be scared on the first ride because I didn't know what to expect, but the second (and subsequent rides) were very enjoyable. Each visit, I added a couple of bigger rides, starting with The Beast, Vortex, and Firehawk on the second visit and progressing to Diamondback and Flight of Fear on the third, and before long, I found that I couldn't get enough of the biggest rides, particularly Diamondback. I was thoroughly surprised at how fast I went from having been scared of coasters for 14 years to having ridden every coaster in the park and loving every minute of every ride.

Though I usually went alone, in early August, I went with my mother for a day. That day was less about rides than it was about just visiting with her, as I don't get to see her very often. Early in the day, I talked her onto Flight Deck, and I still remember the look on her face throughout the ride as she was scared throughout the ride; luckily, it's a short ride. She was limited in what rides she could ride due to minor back problems, and so I didn't ride much either, but that day was more about reconnecting with her, and it's one I'll remember for quite a while.

Also in August, I traveled down to Orlando for a Star Wars convention, and while down there, I had the opportunity to visit Disney's Hollywood Studios for an evening during the semi-private Last Tour to Endor event, the final night for Star Tours. While there, I was able to take advantage of the short lines to ride Rock 'n' Roller Coaster five times; it's not the best coaster, but at least I can say I have a credit from a park other than KI. That night was a unique experience also, and another one that I'll remember for a long time to come.

All in all, it was one of my best summers in a while, if not ever, and I'm pumped for next season. I'm definitely going to renew my Gold Pass for next year and visit KI as often as my tight budget allows. I'm also considering a trip to Cedar Point for a day or two if I can find the money to do so. Thanks to all the people that make KI run, and I'll see you next year!

^Hey jcgobie, if you are thinking of going to Cedar Point as well as Kings Island a lot next year, I will give you a hint to save a lot of money. Go Platinum. A Platinum pass has saved me at least 200 dollars this year, in 2 trips to Cedar Point, a total of 7 days at the park, and over 7 trips to KI (so far) this year. So if I was you and trying to save money, pay a little extra and upgrade to platinum, you will not regret it.

^Hey jcgobie, if you are thinking of going to Cedar Point as well as Kings Island a lot next year, I will give you a hint to save a lot of money. Go Platinum. A Platinum pass has saved me at least 200 dollars this year, in 2 trips to Cedar Point, a total of 7 days at the park, and over 7 trips to KI (so far) this year. So if I was you and trying to save money, pay a little extra and upgrade to platinum, you will not regret it.

I know this is getting a bit off-topic for this thread, but would the cost of the Platinum upgrade be worth it for just two days at CP? Two days is probably all I would spend there in a trip, and it's unlikely at this time that I would be able to make more than one trip. Also, since I probably won't know whether I can make it to CP until next year, can I buy Gold now and upgrade to Platinum later if I decide I want it?

The cost of platinum will likely set you back an additional $80 over a KI pass. But it includes parking as well as admission. Visit Cedar Point twice and you should come out ahead of paying full gate price two times. Of course discounts typically can be had, so it's hard to say if Platinum will save you that much money if you only intend to visit Cedar Point twice.

Due to my location in Northeast Ohio, I definitely think a Platinum Pass is worth it. One day's admission to Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom topped $30 last I checked (not worth it, no many how many times you re-ride the seven slides and enjoy the complimentary Wifi). For $150, I can visit Kings Island for two days ($48.99 + tax + $20 parking = $70), Cedar Point once ($50 + tax + $10 parking = 60) and Geauga Lake once ($30 + $5 parking) which amounts to $70 + $60 + $35... Well over the price of a Platinum Pass. So after those four days at the park, all other visits to Cedar Point, Kings Island, Geauga Lake, Kings Dominion, and Carowinds are, essentially, free.

Parking is the real place that the pass pays off for me. If I had to hand over $10 each and every day I visited the park, I would think twice. So assuming I go to Cedar Point once, Kings Island twice, Geauga Lake once, and Kings Dominion once (which is way underestimating what I'd do in any given season), I'd have spent $50 on parking alone.

And when you travel, it feels incredible to get "home park perks." To travel to Kings Dominion and get in for free, free parking, and early entry, re-ride Wednesdays, etc... It's honestly a good feeling, and is well worth it. And parks like Kings Dominion & Canada's Wonderland have food-related pass perks that closely resemble that of Disney's - 15% off at some food locations, 20% at others (as opposed to Kings Island's five-meals-for-the-price-of-four option, which is all but useless for a group of teenagers or friends, and still costs quite a bit more than going to Wendy's).

I say go for it if you have the financial means. You'll feel freer to visit, enjoy your visits more with park perks, and you'll feel less restrained and rushed to fit everything in to one day. One of my best days at Cedar Point was when myself and three other Platinum Passholders drove up around noon, ate for cheap at the buffet, and then napped on the beach until dark, when we got in some great night rides. If we had paid for admission (or even had a regular season pass and had to pay for parking) we wouldn't have felt as free to do that, because we'd say "we paid $10 just to park, we gotta ride as much as we can."

At Cedar Point the early ride time is a must like Terpy said, even with the ERT Maverick can get up to 45 minutes. Since that is where most people go though you can get 3 walk on rides to Raptor easily then since their whole park is open for you to walk through you can also line up for TTD to open.

This has been my first year with a season pass and I have enjoyed it a lot. I can't get over how cool it is that I've ridden The Beast as many times as I have (even if it IS small compared to some DB counts on here). Enjoying the hour long ERTs and joking around with the ride crews was a lot of fun.

The fact that we live in Indiana puts us off from a lot of you guys who live in Cincinnati, but getting passes has gotten us to visit Cinci a lot more. We've eaten at a lot of independent and unique restaurants and enjoying the city.

That is a great song!

I too am sad to see September creeping to a close. It means another summer season is coming to a close, and that I`m putting to rest yet another season at wonderful Coney Island (I`m ending my ninth season there). It also means that it soon will be November and that Kings Island will be closed for several months. The one main difference for me this year compared to last year at this time, is that this year I have a full time job, and am not looking for another part time position in a totally unrelated field from my college degrees.

And rest assured, I will be back at Coney for a tenth season. Why not?

I do hope to make it down to Dollywood sometime in December though, if all goes well.