Summer 2010

Jasper

I was able to get my 4 year old daughter an S.P. this summer and am so glad i did. she went from being afraid of half the rides in kiddyland to at the end of the season haveing a sudden growth spurt and wanting to ride formerly known as reptar over and over and The Beastie,and wanting to ride Diamondback but had to tell her shes gota wait :-). sorry couldnt think of the names the old ones are engraved in my head after all these years.

And i started to like backlot alot

This summer was not as coaster-filled as previous summers. We are redoing my house, we joined a new organization that had its obligations, and I had to work a lot of extra hours this summer. However, for the few trips to the amusement parks it was very enjoyable! I would say that my favorite trip of the summer was a day and a half stay at Michigans Adventure. There was something magical about the trip itself (isn't life about the journey, not the destination?!). Going to KI for my birthday in late April, when our home park of CP wasn't open, was great (and we will probably be able to do it again next year!) My favorite time of the year is Fall and my favorite holiday is Halloween, so I'm looking very forward to Haunt and Halloweekends!

Oh this summer... best months of my life. Let's keep this KI related. I more than quadrupled my lifetime visit count (with this summers three trips, I bring my life total to 5). But these were different. At the beginning of the summer I was a huge wuss. The biggest ride I would go on was probably Adventure Express. My first trip was for my Senior Trip for High School, the last time out with most of my friends... and a huge step in my life. It brought on my first rides on Beast and Racer (Oh what I was missing). But that isn't the best part. You see, this spring I met the most compatible girl I've ever known, a girl who I feel sure will be the love of my life. But there was a problem. She was a major adrenaline junky, and I was afraid of just about everything in the park. But sometimes the urge to look big for your girlfriend overpowers instinct. I remember, the sweaty palms, the overwhelming fear, 9:45 A.M., waiting because she wanted to be the first rider of the day on Delirium. So I went through the line, possibly having several minor heart attacks in the process. But I rode it... And I hated it (at least at the time). Somehow though, my desire to impress the lady was not swayed by the fear. We then proceeded to face my fears on the aptly named Flight of Fear. Admittedly, my fears were brought down a bit there when I started to overpower my instinct and have... well... fun. Having a gamer girlfriend and being one myself, nothing could stop our urge to shout "Use the boost to get through" as we felt the launch. From there I never looked back. Did I love coasters yet? No. Did it help that our next stop was possibly the most intimidating ride yet? No. But again, for her, I rode Firehawk. By now, my fears were dying, but oh how stubborn they were. Next was the Crypt. What was to her a boring fragment of a once great experience, was to me a terrifying, high-intensity tour-de-force (literally) that left me questioning my urge to impress her. But I had to press on, the next stops to Vortex and Diamondback (also first rides for me) were increasingly less in the fear factor and more in the fun department. By now, I was a man, and a coaster Junky. I happily went for another go on Vortex and Diamondback, and then took the route to Invertingo (Which will still always be Face/Off to me). This... Brought me a few steps back, giving me a noticeable headache that lasted about 15 minutes. But all that passed with a night ride on The Beast... And a kiss from the one I love near the top of the lift hill :) .

Our next visit was not so successful.

You see, at that time, I was about a week away from move-in day at my college. Unfortunately for us, this college is 3 hours away from home. Also, it rained a lot, and many coasters closed. But I got to go out with a bang, finishing a night ride on Diamondback just before the fireworks started. It was a very bittersweet moment for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Now as I sit here, 3 hours from home and missing my love terribly, I'm reliving this summer in my mind and thinking about how much I grew from just that one trip to KI. Except I still won't do Drop Zone. Tower of Terror at Disney when I was 8 turned me off to dropping rides forever. But in spite of that one area, I went from a coaster wuss, to a junky in about a week. Even as I type this, I'm waiting for 2011 Platinum passes to go up for sale to complete our vacation plans next summer, when we plan to visit Carowinds, Kings Dominion, Cedar Point, and KI (several times). So to quote a song that I love...

"When I look back now, that summer seemed to last forever. And if I had the choice, yeah, I'd always want to be there. Those were the best days of my life."

So here's to the memories and the life-changing events of 2010 at KI, and to the bigger, better memories next summer at some of the best parks in America.