Kings Island 2010

McSalsa

The 2010 regular season is behind us, and we must now wait for Halloween Haunt. I made a poll like this last year, and well, here comes the 2010 Edition. Basically, it's the same as last time- how good was Kings Island 2010? Average? Above Average? Below? Bad? Excellent? And what event (though this year there wasn't as much as last year) do you think was most important? A new question for 2010- how would you say Cedar Fair has run the park since obtaining it 4 years ago?

Enjoy the poll. If you don't like it, click back.;)

They did a great job of retheming Planet Snoopy.

The return of more kid-friendly music to that area was much appreciated as well... did't care for my 4-year old being exposed to a david lee roth led VanHalen just yet as they did in 2009.

The nice thing about most parks is that they names stay the same. Great Pumpkin Coaster is one it's 4th name (maybe 5th)...

It was a below average year for me. Son of Beast, not my favorite ride, but a Top 3 coaster in my opinion at Kings Island, was closed, which really made the trips not as fun. Boo Blasters was very dissapointing for me, as a kid I liked Phantom Theater, Scooby was terrible, but it was scooby doo so I liked it. Now its just the ride with no Scooby, different plastic cutouts, loud annoying buzzing guns, and the fog effect is cool, but its quick and over with very quickly. It also was badly timed when I rode Boo Blasters. Planet Snoopy is just Nick U with different colors and names.

The Biggest event to me was Son of Beast being closed all year. As I stated above it really dissapointed me.

As for Cedar Fair, before the WindSeeker announcement I would say average, but after their decision to once again add a big ride to Kings Island, and one equal to the same ride at CP really impresses me and I gained lots more respect for CF. I would say Good, but with some irks.

If you ask me (oh wait, no one did? Well I'll continue anyway) next year will be a real tell-tale sign of the park's future under Cedar Fair. This will be their fifth full season with the park (not including 2006), and at this point, they are no longer "adjusting." Cedar Fair Entertainment Company now knows what is expected at the former Paramount properties. They've been recieving comments, complaints, questions, and concerns for the better part of six years in relation to their policies, choices, maintenaince, cleanliness, theme, entertainment, etc. By next season, there will be no room for excuses (not that they're using any now, necessarily).

People say it takes four or five years for a new owner to really make a park "their own." Well next season is year number six, so the policies, theme, attention-to-detail, and every other aspect of the park is pretty much locked, for better or worse, barring a major financial change.

And to top it off, compared to other years, there will be very small financial additions to the company's parks in 2011, so hopefully, that leftover money will all go towards fantastic capitol improvements throughout the parks. Everyone, for the most part, agrees that Cedar Fair is doing well with the parks, but missing an essential element of immersion. At the Legacy parks, it doesn't matter. At the Paramount Parks, people expected a certain style of music, lighting, entertainment, dining, and storytelling. Hopefully, the 2011 season shows an improvement in those aspects. They are, after all, the only things holding Kings Island back (in my opinion).

Even though the WindSeeker isn't a ride I've wanted, I consider it the biggest and most important event of the year. Any new attraction is important! I voted:

Average: Same old same old, nothing's really changed with Kings Island for me. Hope for an awesome year next year.

Announcement of WindSeeker: Like I said before.....

Good, But There Are Some Irks: I don't think anything can be perfect. If it was, we'd have 18 roller coasters, ten major flat rides, and better food prices. ;)

^Nice! Yeah, there's a few VH songs I won't play for her yet. That one and "Panama" come to mind immediately... "Hot for Teacher" would be another, considering she just started kindergarten. I can just see her saying to her teacher, "My daddy likes to sing 'Hot for Teacher'!" That might make for an akward parent/teacher conference next month...

Personally, I think Cedar Fair has totally changed the scheme of things at the old Paramount Parks. The Paramount Parks were marketed towards whole families... Yes, they presented Kings Island towards small children, pre- teens, teenagers, young adults and middle aged adults.

Now, Cedar Fair is marketing towards only small children and teenagers, presenting their parks in a way that actually drives away the average family group. (Most adults, at that... And even the children and teenagers who's family disapprove of "Kings Island's" shenanigans.)

What could Cedar Fair see in this marketing strategy...?

I wouldn`t say that Cedar Fair is ONLY marketing to small children and teenagers. Why do I say this? Look at the number of live shows that Kings Island had this year. TWO shows in the Feshaus. Under the later years of Paramount, there were ZERO shows in the Festhaus and in the Showplace Theater. Cedar Fair has brought some of the liver entertainment back, that attracts the family demographic, as well as grandparents that are not into all the roller coasters and rides.

Very true. Some of the shows, particularly the Motown review, which I didn`t see this year, obviously aren`t targeted to the teenagers exclusively. Same goes for Way Too Much TV in the Festhaus, given when most of the shows were aired . Gilligan`s Island anyone? Bewitched? The Andy Griffith Show?

I agree, that certain parks, even Dollywood, have a much different target market for their live show offerings than seasonal parks like Kings Island and Cedar Point. They also have much different budgets to work with on their live entertainment offerings.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say this year was pretty great to me but I am just gonna give it an above average year.

The best part of 2010, I mean come on, WindSeeker.

I am a Paramount fan boy so I will say take them or leave them. They have given us Firehawk and Diamondback, two one of a kind coasters.

They have given us Firehawk and Diamondback, two one of a kind coasters.

Err... Sarcasm? I mean, one-of-a-kind? Even Diamondback... it has unique elements, but the idea is a tale as old as time, and there are a multitude of similar experiences scattered across the continents. Cedar Fair can do unique things (Maverick & Prowler, for example) but it's not always financially beneficial... Next year, the "buy four and get a discount" sale typically applied to season passes will really take on a whole new meaning for the company, yes?

GYK, not defending Paramount for once, because there's not much of a platform for doing so in this case.

Here's the thing - my vote will probably change after Halloween. Howl-O-Fest and Halloween Haunt always bring me into a great mood, and I love the fall season. That may change my vote for "How good was the year". I enjoy Howl-O-Fest more than my little sister! :lol:

Surely you enjoy your little sister more than Howl-O-Fest!

Terpy, who just HAD to... :)