Kentucky Kingdom

Guest rcfreak339

I am not even going to try to count the errors in this one:

More Bad News for Former Kentucky Kingdom Fans

Park is not expected to open until 2012

Kentucky Kingdom 11/13/10

http://www.coaster-n...tem&newsid=1249

Somebody else have at it, I don't have the heart...

That report has been out for a while now...a project like this is huge and it has just taken so long. I knew as time became less that Kentucky Kingdom would not open until 2012.

Read what's at that link. It says the city is financing it. It says the "new owners" "own" the park...and there are more errors, too. It even says the reason it won't open in time this coming year is, and I quote: "Park to stay closed for 2011: Renovations will take place during the whole 2011 year.."

Then there's this stinker:

"...For the renovations and later seasons, the park has received 3 million dollars a year for two decades to help pay for operation costs. While debt is a risky business, it is a good thing to see the city investing in the park's success, and it is sure that the park will be able to pay the bonds back each season...."

Please tell me you didn't actually go read the link, which was posted all of two days ago...

Kentucky Kingdom or Ed Hart uploaded 5 new videos. They plan on adding a coaster better or almost better than chang. The plan on reopening twisted twins or double trouble lola and stella ( they may rename the ride) they also plan on keep the 10 acres that they were going to give back to the fair board.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thekentuckykingdom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So the park that was meant to open in 2010, then in 2011 with a "major new ride" is now "on track" for 2012 (though we have no idea whatsoever what "on track" means, much less if the many pieces of the puzzle that must fall into place will do so) and promising all that they did last year plus more? Though I don't understand this process as thoroughly or completely as many here, I think it's safe to caution you from getting excited about anything. The park isn't even committed to opening yet, so any plans for multi-million dollar expansions, coasters, parking lots, etc could, for all we know, just be a way of inciting people towards action.

"Trust us, it'll be worth it. It'll be a fun water park!"

Then the next year, "Okay, we didn't get it this year. But NEXT year, we're gonna have a very nice water park AND add a coaster!"

"Okay, well maybe not this year, but NEXT year, we'll have a water park, a coaster, and FREE PARKING."

"Alright, well things fell through this year, too. But NEXT year, we're gonna DOUBLE the water park, add a B&M roller coaster, FREE parking, and CHEAP, HIGH QUALITY food!!"

The promises have to get bigger and bigger to compensate for the inevitable issues that arise, and suddenly what could be a nice little local park is promising water coasters, B&M's, parking galore, huge wave pools, new entrances, etc. and the final product (if it ever arrives) just can't live up to the hype. It's happened before. Maybe the fans of a park up north can tell you about that with their awesome new water ride just this year...

Stay tuned?

Although I personally do like what is being tossed around about the park, I'm kinda feeling weird about some things that have been said about the "NEW, BIGGER, BADDER Kentucky Kingdom."

B&M coaster: One little issue I see with this: where?! Where would they build an actually good B&M in the park? If the space that was Chang's former footprint along with the go carts is going to be used to double the water park size, what other spot is there really? The only area that I can kind of see being used is the current home to the falling apart Twisted Twins, the Nascar thing (whatever it was; too little to remember what it actually was when I went there), and the Mile High Falls area. Something more is going to have to be cleared out........anyone foresee T2 being sold or scrapped?

Also with this: the airport height cap. While it may be a B&M by brand right and rider experience, how can a good one be built if the height limit is somewhere around 120 ft?

Free Parking: This is a great idea! But, I have a feeling that Hart and the Fair Board are going to have it out about this one. The Fair Board was complaining earlier this year because of the lost funds from parking used by SFKK patrons not there this year. Plus, where would this parking lot be built? Anyone know the location of the portion of land that Six Flags originally brought for the supposed expansion of the park? That would be the only portion of land that I could think of that would be somewhat big enough for the building of the free parking lot. I know for a fact that there is some open land between the Fairgrounds parking lot and Crittenden Drive as it runs behind the park and heading towards the I-65 on ramp. Anyone know the owner of that land?

Opening 2012: Personally, as a college student who would like to try to work at an theme/amusement park and for the sake of the Louisville economy, I hope that it does open in 2012. With that, Ed & company may have some luck with the state. The state has already granted tax breaks for Kentucky Speedway and as well as the "Noah's Arc Park" along with tax payers dollars going to it (if I am wrong, someone please correct me on the tax dollars funding issue). However, with Ed asking for close to $50 million or more I'm not fore sure he will get that. Again, I am rooting for the comeback of this once pretty good park. But lets be realistic: Six Flags abused/trashed the place and did not properly maintain the rides (Superman: Tower of Terror), the economy is not that which was seen in the 1990's, and the state is in debit as is most of the country. Yet, if the state is handing out tax breaks for next year like candy as they are, Ed & company may get one of those if there lucky. I wonder if any KK lobbiest have hit up Frankfort yet......

Again, I am rooting all the way for the opening of KK ASAP! However, whether it is or ever does it will have some initial challenges. But, I know that those can be overcame if we all go visit a few times.......biggrin.gif

...With that, Ed & company may have some luck with the state. The state has already granted tax breaks for Kentucky Speedway and as well as the "Noah's Arc Park" along with tax payers dollars going to it (if I am wrong, someone please correct me on the tax dollars funding issue). However, with Ed asking for close to $50 million or more I'm not fore sure he will get that. Again, I am rooting for the comeback of this once pretty good park....

Two things:

* The Kentucky Speedway tax breaks are indeed approved...the religious theme park has quite a ways to go before that can happen...if it ever does: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/12/21/1574230/ark-park-gets-preliminary-ok-for.html

* Ed Hart and Co. are asking for state backed bonds....which requires the approval of the Kentucky Legislature, which may or may not happen. No such approval is required for the tax breaks afforded the speedway and requested by the religious theme park. However, the legislature could stop the last one...though if they tried, there would be serious First Amendment issues, not to mention it is politically very unlikely that they would stop a religious theme park...especially during an election year. On the other hand, it is politically unlikely that legislators outside Louisville will vote to approve state backed financing for a Louisville theme park envisioned by a high former state Democratic party official and Mr. Hart...also during an election year.

well... From what I've heard from years past, Six Flags owned more land then many of us even think. They just never expanded the park and went to the bigger parks. Right now, their is plently of land to build a major coaster. The coaster is projected to be on the small side of the park.

This is where I believe the parking lot will be located

21cs7yc.jpg

Here are some expansion areas I believe the new coaster may go if the park get a final approval.

10ztele.jpg

Afterburn - 113'

The Batman Clones - 105'

Hydra - 95'

All B&M and all under 120 feet tall. Their new Dive Machine that they are building in Germany for 2011 is only 135ish feet tall as well. I think that a good floorless or invert could certainly be built within the parks height restrictions.

Don't Forget Air at Alton Towers is only 65' 7" Tall. Due to the fact they can not build above the tree line.

Quoted:

Stories to Watch In 2011

Kentucky Kingdom

It might be March before the park's fate is known. Or, it might not. The Kentucky State Fair Board reached an interim agreement in the spring with Kentucky Kingdom Redevelopment Co. to redevelop and reopen the park. In October, that agreement was extended to March 31, and officials said the park would not open in 2011. Now, it appears that financing will be sought through the 2011 Kentucky General Assembly.

Stories to watch in 2011 | Business First

Terp....(without comment....)

• 3 weeks later...

Ed Hart is supposedly available tonight* on In the Loop to answer questions...though it is his answers to the General Assembly in a state where the state park lodges are closed Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays for now that are probably far more important...

*According to Lance Hart and Screamscape, here:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/kentucky_kingdom.htm

• 2 weeks later...

The politicization of attempting to rescue Kentucky Kingdom with state financial assistance begins:

Louisville Mayor Meets With Louisville Delegation To Get In Sync On Frankfort

...Job creation and economic development were also at the top of Fischer's list. The mayor said getting the Kentucky Kingdom amusement park up and running again is a big part of that. The new developer, Ed Hart wants a $50 million bond from the state....

http://www.wave3.com...nc-on-frankfort

This is an election year in Kentucky. Cut, cut, cut is the order of the day.

Kentucky Kingdom may be a worthwhile enterprise. Funding it with state assistance is going to be a very difficult sell. Especially given the current political climate and financial situation in the state. Mr. Beshear has put himself in a difficult situation, too. How can be back the Ark Park and not Kentucky Kingdom? It's going to get very interesting...

...It's a short session and not a budget session, but Marzian says action on Kentucky Kingdom could happen because it falls under economic incentives....

So, Marzian said could. He did not say probably, nor will, nor likely...He could have used these words, or any other words he chose to use, but he chose not to. I believe this is called "lowering expectations." Mr. Hart might want to start looking for other financing. After all, if this is such a grand deal, you'd think investors would be lined up begging to get in.

All their is is hope. If the state isn't backing up the Kentucky Kingdom park, I bet their will be plenty of controversy especially because of the non-amusement park, Noah Ark religious museum project. The state of Kentucky has seen Kentucky Kingdoms economic studies provided by the state its self, but the state has yet to see Noah Arks studies. With Noah Ark, half of the hotels and business or money, will go to Cincinnati. It doesn't make since paying tax dollars on an amusement park, but why make us pay tax dollars on a Christan park? If you were Jewish and you had to choose between Kentucky Kingdom and Noah, which park would you want you tax dollars to go to?

• 5 weeks later...

KENTUCKY KINGDOM RE-OPENING MAY BE DELAYED OR NOT HAPPEN:

'

Kentucky Kingdom may not reopen as planned in 2012 because legislators seem unlikely to approve a $50 million state bond issue to help pay for improvements there.

The Louisville amusement park, which is on property owned by the Kentucky State Fair Board, has been closed since 2010 after its previous owner, Six Flags, filed for bankruptcy.

Susan McNeese Lynch, a spokeswoman for Kentucky Kingdom Redevelopment Co., said the 2012 reopening date "would have to be revisited" if the money is not approved in this year's session of the General Assembly....

The fair board and the redevelopment company, which has been chosen to operate the amusement park, still hope that the bond issue could be approved this year.

But leaders in the state House of Representatives say there is little chance of that.

No legislation has been filed to authorize the tax-exempt bonds, which would pay for upgrades at the park and be retired using Kentucky Kingdom revenue.

Any effort to approve the bonds would have to take the form of an amendment to an existing bill. Because it could involve an expenditure of state funds, the legislation would have to have originated in the House....

Hart did not return phone calls seeking comment on Friday....

http://www.courier-j...pnews|text|Home

I have consistently said that I see exactly no chance of a legislature approving a bond issue for an amusement park in Kentucky this year. Since I first said that, I think the chances have actually declined.

Also, note the article has at least one error. Kentucky Kingdom has been closed since 2009...it did not open for the 2010 season.

KENTUCKY KINGDOM RE-OPENING MAY BE DELAYED OR NOT HAPPEN:

'

Kentucky Kingdom may not reopen as planned in 2012 because legislators seem unlikely to approve a $50 million state bond issue to help pay for improvements there.

The Louisville amusement park, which is on property owned by the Kentucky State Fair Board, has been closed since 2010 after its previous owner, Six Flags, filed for bankruptcy.

Susan McNeese Lynch, a spokeswoman for Kentucky Kingdom Redevelopment Co., said the 2012 reopening date "would have to be revisited" if the money is not approved in this year's session of the General Assembly....

The fair board and the redevelopment company, which has been chosen to operate the amusement park, still hope that the bond issue could be approved this year.

But leaders in the state House of Representatives say there is little chance of that.

No legislation has been filed to authorize the tax-exempt bonds, which would pay for upgrades at the park and be retired using Kentucky Kingdom revenue.

Any effort to approve the bonds would have to take the form of an amendment to an existing bill. Because it could involve an expenditure of state funds, the legislation would have to have originated in the House....

Hart did not return phone calls seeking comment on Friday....

http://www.courier-j...pnews|text|Home

I have consistently said that I see exactly no chance of a legislature approving a bond issue for an amusement park in Kentucky this year. Since I first said that, I think the chances have actually declined.

Also, note the article has at least one error. Kentucky Kingdom has been closed since 2009...it did not open for the 2010 season.

To funny, some co-workers were asking me about KK opening back up just today. I said I did not see it opening in 2012 even though Ed Hart has been trying his hardest to find the funds to do so.

Six Flags made some decisions that helped them deliver good 2010 results - I wonder if they think dumping Kentucky Kingdom was one of them.

I also continue to ask why KK Redevelopment Company can't find private financing. If their business plan is so good - why isn't there someone willing to finance it Also, what happened to the other potential operators of the park the Fair Board talked about - could any of their plans (if they exist) have a better chance of reviving the park?

Perhaps it is time for The Kentucky Kingdom Redevelopment Company to release another video on their Facebook page. That will fix everything, I am sure...

Terp, tongue planted only partly in cheek...(going incommunicado is not the best communications strategy at a time like this...speaking of which, when did you last hear anything about that theme park in West Virginia that certainly was going to be built, just as the one in the upper Midwest was by that particular company? Did that park's plans make a wild escape or something?)

Only four days left to consider new bills, a desperate search for money for the Medicaid shortfall, and a contest of wills between the sitting (and running for re-election) Democratic governor (and strong supporter of the Ark Park) and the Republican Senate president who is running for Governor (and a strong supporter of Kentucky Kingdom and Ed Hart)

And did I mention only one bill has passed so far?

http://dailyindepend...un-in-Frankfort

Tell me again how the General Assembly may endorse potentially using taxpayer funds for Kentucky Kingdom in this environment? And even if it did, that the Governor would not veto it? It is not totally impossible, but it's probably more likely that little green people from Mars selling trips to Pluto will be seen at Chipotle in Paducah....

Kentucky Kingdom, why not just part ways with the fair grounds and move to the area near the Mall at I64 and I264. Yes I know no money for that but to lease land and have the state bail you out and try to bankroll your ideas with tax dollars is a tough pill to swallow. I can see a location change and a total redesign would be great if your going to ask for tax money go for the whole bank. Or just maybe you (Ed) could combine your efforts with the ARK park and spend our money in one place and do it big.