Kentucky Kingdom

Saw the park today when we where at the Auto Show. It is in a very sad state right now with lots of rusty neglected rides and dirt. Some areas of fencing were topped with nice shiny new Razor Wire. A good sign the riff raff has been going in to "have fun" and rack up the amounts needed to re open the place.

GL sure looks pretty from a distance.....once you get up close to it though....yikes. I couldn't grab a close pic because of traffic.

100_1603.jpg

100_1606.jpg

Perfect chance for KI to get a Ferris Wheel.

100_1607.jpg

Currently, the rides belong to the Commonwealth of Kentucky and are on Fair Board property. As for picking them up on the cheap, unless and until the Fair Board decides what it is going to do with Kentucky Kingdom, I doubt the rides go anywhere. The park could still be saved, but it is looking less and less likely that state backed bonding will be available.

We can certainly hope so, but it sure doesn't help his credibility any. He said before the park could ONLY succeed with state backed bonds...

Ah, yes, here it is:

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22700&view=findpost&p=403022

Requires public involvement, can't be done just privately. That's what he said then, folks. What's changed?

He possibly will run it with private investors for the first couple of years and constantly try to get state backing.

Plan B could also be his plans from the beginning, not opening the front side of the park, twisted twins, etc, and just expanding the waterpark its first season.

When it comes to the rides, those rides has been rusting and rotting for years. If the park never closed, I'm sure those rides will be in the same condition they are today rusting and rotting. However, their are people inside the park maintaining/preserving all the rides, beside paint.

All the typos and such made that a hard article to read. When exactly is 20-12?

Reading the article, it seems that Mr Hart and the Fair Board dropped the ball on this.

But legislators are not so optimistic. "Obviously it would've been better a plan had been developed earlier that everyone could've bought into to include the delegation early on in this legislative but, that has not happened," said Owens.

Currently, the rides belong to the Commonwealth of Kentucky and are on Fair Board property. As for picking them up on the cheap, unless and until the Fair Board decides what it is going to do with Kentucky Kingdom, I doubt the rides go anywhere. The park could still be saved, but it is looking less and less likely that state backed bonding will be available.

As a citizen of the Commenwealth of Kentucky, I vote for selling off the parks assets to the highest bidders if a privately backed group does not appear in the near future with the ability to open and run the park. As much as I love amusement parks, the state of Kentucky just does not have the funds to spare in the current economic climate to put into reopening the park. A venture such as this is for private enterprise, not goverment oversite.

It's a tv article, meant to be read aloud by a newsreader.

In fact, the video does exactly that....reads the article!

20-12 is Twenty-Twelve as in the year 2012....

Exactly, it's 2012, not the 20th of December in Europe.

The spoken words did not match the horrible transcription that was the written article.

I agree with ya rcs. The park would be better off in a non land locked area beside an Airport.

As a citizen of the Commenwealth of Kentucky, I vote for selling off the parks assets to the highest bidders if a privately backed group does not appear in the near future with the ability to open and run the park. As much as I love amusement parks, the state of Kentucky just does not have the funds to spare in the current economic climate to put into reopening the park. A venture such as this is for private enterprise, not goverment oversite.

I don't care if it's privately or government funded, if it works, it works. I'm not sure if the state possesses said funds to do so but, if a investment such as this is believed to be a, "sound," one and the funds exist, why not? If it creates jobs and revenue for the state and it's inhabitants, whats wrong with financial backing via state funds?

The state has limited funds, and many competing needs. Let's turn your question around the other way...if the private sector cannot or will not finance the park, why should Government pick some enterprises to fund and not others, while state employees are being furloughed, Medicaid is not sufficiently funded and the state's road system and parks are going to pot, just to name a few...

Terpy, I am not stating that the park should recieve said funding but, I do believe if the funds were not availble in the private sector not due to, a lack of interest then, state funding for a project of this nature would be a appropriate. Considering, the state of Kentucky's economy fiifty million is just too much but, if conditions were right then, I would see nothing wrong with state backed funding.

If it was a good business proposition, then private funding would be available and public funding wouldn't be necessary. I can't imagine a scenario where they wouldn't.

There is a system in place for the state to encourage investment and the jobs, etc... that come along with it. That is the incentive (tax breaks) approach that most states and also in some cases local authorities follow.

Kentucky Kingdom Re-developers Not Yet Looking To Backup Plan:

Even though state funding may not be available this year, the group seeking to renovate and reopen the Kentucky Kingdom theme park is not yet looking for other sources of money. The Kentucky Kingdom Redevelopment Company's plans to reopen the park next year hinge on whether the General Assembly grants the state Fair Board a $50 million bond.

It appears unlikely the legislature will vote on the issue this year. A spokesperson with the redevelopment company says they're still planning to renovate the park partially through the bond, but declined to elaborate further....

http://www.wfpl.org/...to-backup-plan/

I have a feeling that this will be in limbo forever. :blink:

I have to hand it to Ed for his patients in waiting for state funding, but I am not sure that is ever going to happen. I also have doubts that if reopened it would attract enough visitors to make money.

• 4 weeks later...

I was at the Fair and Expo center over the weekend. It really makes me sad to see KK sitting there rotting. I am not for using state money to get the place up and running but if it opens again I will visit the park for sure. I still need to get a ride in on Greezed Lightning. I never rode that one.

Given that the General Assembly is out of session and will be (except for a limited possible special session that may be called by the Governor)...what Representatives are you talking about? The plain fact is Government money is not available now, and probably won't be for some time to fund any possible bond issue guarantee...