Kentucky Kingdom

Translated, either the City refused to back the bonds and/or there weren't sufficient buyers for them. Interestingly, the tax incentive proposal requires virtually the same Government backing.

A. In no way is this good news for Kentucky Kingdom.

B. This is far from a done deal.

C. This is Hart's people trying their best to put a positive spin on a very not good situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Re-tracking to some rides and new ones coming in a few years. KK is on its way to being open in 2012! Read here.

I only went to KK once in 07 or 08 (cant remember) but It had great potential to be a great park. I believe the hours were 10-6 and only one train ran on all the coaster and half the rides were closed. Bringing new life to the park after being closed for a few years will help it rise to the top... I hope. It had the best stand-up (Chang) in my opinion.

All IF Mr. Hart can get Government backing/incentives. Many an if in that article. And given the markets, and the now overall view of Government, I'd say Mr. Hart's task is harder than it was even two short weeks ago. Competition for scarce Government resources just got a whole lot more intense.

If Kentucky Kingdom has such a bright and shining future, why aren't private investors lining up begging to buy in?

This topic is hilarious. Kentucky Kingdom will never be long-term successful again, and attendance figures don't define success. Success will be if and only if

1) the bonds are serviced,

2) the private investors get an acceptable ROI, and

3) the public perception skyrockets.

The order of likelihood of those is almost certainly 2, 1, 3. The general public hates Kentucky Kingdom. It's dirty, unsafe (the Drop Tower accident is a common theme), overrun by poorly behaved teens, poor value, and an eyesore on I-264. The only people who want the park open are civic leaders in Louisville so they can buy some votes, the inner city population that is limited to public transportation, and some park enthusiasts that want a quick and dirty local option.

Hart pulled the wool over SIX's eyes once. Now he's trying to do the same to the Commonwealth.

This topic is hilarious. Kentucky Kingdom will never be long-term successful again, and attendance figures don't define success.

The general public hates Kentucky Kingdom. It's dirty, unsafe (the Drop Tower accident is a common theme), overrun by poorly behaved teens, poor value, and an eyesore on I-264. The only people who want the park open are civic leaders in Louisville so they can buy some votes, the inner city population that is limited to public transportation, and some park enthusiasts that want a quick and dirty local option.

Think about what you mention..."Kentucky Kingdom", wait you should have said "Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom", is dirty, unsafe, overrun by poorly behaved teens, and a POOR VALUE. How do you think all of this could have been prevented? and you also mention "attendance figures don't define success"... why don't tell that to Ed Hart or the Koch Family!

btw...how you said the General Public hates this place is completely bogus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A September 30 deadline, bank financing (maybe),an opening perhaps delayed yet another year, negotiations with the Fair Board...yes, there is news, but what does it mean?

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110913/NEWS01/309130095/Hart-outlines-progress-effort-reopen-Kentucky-Kingdom?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CHome

I mean absolutely no offense to anyone from that state, but I have to say that, personally, the name itself keeps me away. 'Kentucky Kingdom.' Though most are probably unfounded, Kentucky has certain stereotypes associated with it just like any other state. My friends enjoy picking out who they imagine is from Kentucky vs. who is from Ohio when we visit Kings Island. I wouldn't visit "West Virginia Kingdom" if I lived in Ohio, and the idea of an "Ohio Adventure" would hardly get me to book a hotel if I lived in Kentucky. I mean, there are states that are very marketable in a sense, like "Six Flags Over Texas," or "California Adventure..." But Kentucky? If the park were named "Six Flags Adventure Kingdom" or something, I'd have gone in a heartbeat. It's not fair, but it's true for at least one person, and I really don't think I'm the only one who thinks that...

I truly am not trying to offend anyone from Kentucky or any other state, but whether they're true or not, pre-conceived notions about states exist, and Kentucky is one of the states that I wouldn't paste a name on to sell it. I imagine that's something at least a few other people feel, but that no one says... Again, whether a stereotype is true or not is unfortunately irrelevant. The fact that it exists - rightly or wrongly - creates very real consequences. I'm not trying to come across as elitist or offensive at all, just stating the way I feel about the park. I think its name really limits out-of-state interest.

^ And without question, Six Flags Louisville would've attracted me more. It is in reasonably close proximity, after all, so there's no logical reason for me not to have visited except that I was turned off by the name. The double-k even came off as "hick-ish" to me, not unlike "Karl's Kar Kare" or the lovely tanning salon I pass in West Virginia, "Kalifornia Sun." Again, that's a product of the stereotype I have always had, but it's still important to acknowledge from a marketing standpoint.

^^ Six Flags Ohio lasted a whopping one year haha. I can see naming parks after destination states and cities (California Adventure, Six Flags St. Louis, Six Flags New Orleans), or if the park actually involves the state by chronicling its history or culture (for example, Six Flags Over Texas, Carowinds), or just as a location designation (Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Universal Studios Florida) but what's the attraction factor in a Six Flags Ohio or a Kentucky Kingdom for someone from New York, or Pennsylvania, or Virginia? I just imagine that "West Virginia Adventure" or "Missouri Kingdom" wouldn't interest me right off The Bat - first impressions and such...

And yes, I did have a part in the KFC decision. You can also find my handiwork in McDonald's. Before my suggestion, it was Illinois McBurger.

this is how I feel and many others...I'm from Louisville...not Kentucky

I'd be more embarrassed to just say I'm from Louisville, thankfully I'm not ;) The wonderful local population is one of the major detractors for the park as far as I am concerned.

I understand what you are saying GYK. Though while I was in the Army all of the super strange people were from Ohio.

Here what you have to understand about Kentuckians, they are proud to be Kentuckian. They do not care what others think about them, they are glad to be a Kentuckian. So the name Kentucky Kingdom is perfect for reaching Kentuckians. People from Ohio were not Kentucky Kingdom target audience.

Heck most prefer cats over dogs and claim to bleed blue.

• Like 2