Kentucky Kingdom

As a layman, It would seem Harold Workman is working every angle he can to try and re-open the park as a self-serving move. He's probably feeling lots of pressure to get the park re-opened by his board, financial advisors, and probably political advisors. I understand that pressure, however I think resulted in Workman relaying something that now seems "false." When SF first walked away, didn't he say several other operators were interested in taking over KK and they had their pick of companies to run KK? Or am I making that up in my own head?

If so, I'm not so sure that was true. Within months Hart, a former "partner" with Workman and the KFEC, was on the scene and announced as the possible lead operator. It took time, but one would have to assume that the state eventually saw the potential "partnership" between Workman and Hart as concerning. Ultimately choosing to decline Hart's push to take the reigns.

You are correct in your "several other operators" memory (unless we both are making the same thing up in our heads). Here is my take:

• Mr Workman played chicken with Six Flags when they looked to renegotiate the terms of the lease - and he lost for Louisville and Kentucky. Do you think the modified lease terms proposed by Six Flags would have been better or worse for the State over the past couple of years (and looking forward)?
  • Mr Workman overstated the interest and ended up partnering with his old buddy Mr Hart to try and reopen the park. THere was never really a solid plan for that, despite what many want to believe, and the partnership fell apart. This approach may well cost the state further money based upon Mr Hart's claims.
  • Now, the financial impact of KK closing is becoming real and Mr Workman is grasping at straws by reaching out to others like the Koch's in an effort to make something happen

Maybe it's time for the state to evaluate the whole scenario and evaluate what should be done - maybe nothing can be done for KK except sell off the land and assets, but I'd also suggest the state evaluate the whole leadership/organization responsible to evaluate what they want going forward from the Expo Center and Fair Board (I doubt they want/can afford a $4.5 Million annual money drain).

But when Ed hart had the park he added big rides each year, and made money?

Also could someone package just the water park?

Agree with Louisville being so close to bowling green with the bend, and holiday world and Kings Island, they have almost made Louisville out of the park business.

My opion it would be nice for someone to save it, but atleast at the very least save the rides and sell them.

Bring back to KINGSISLAND the ride they sold, and possibly the ferris wheel would be great!

I think that the Kochs would be a good choice for KK. It will probably help them build a bigger company which is good.

It worked so well for Gary Story's Six Flags. Too big an example? Bev and John Roberts whose overexpansion did in Funspot in Indiana and nearly took Camden Park down with it.

Kentucky Kingdom would almost certainly be a major distraction for the Kochs and endanger Holiday World. Bigger is not always better.

• Like 7

Four members of the Koch family have formed a new company, Bluegrass Boardwalk Inc., to explore re-opening Kentucky Kingdom.

More info here can be found on the company website: http://bluegrassboardwalk.com/

At least they are keeping this company an entirely separate entity from Holiday World. Granted my knowledge on the whole situation is not the most complete but the Fair Board just doesn't seem like the type of organization that the Koch's would typically want to do business with. To me it seems the two groups have very different visions and values.

To me, it speaks volumes that Pat is not a part of this venture. In my book, she is the heart, soul, brains, visionary and true leader at Holiday World. I wouldn't personally want to participate in any Koch family endeavor that didn't have at least her whole-hearted endorsement.

In addition, separate legal entity or not, this is a distraction from Holiday World's values, mission and focus. If this goes forward, the Santa Claus operation will suffer, perhaps irreparably so.

• Like 2

At this point, I'm wondering how much of this still involves planning from Will. It seems like the park's become tremendously more aggressive in its expansion since mid-2011. I'm not criticizing them, as I'm not privy to any of their financial information, but I do worry, and I hope they're being careful about this. From what I read, overexpansion was the ultimate factor that did Geauga Lake in, and I'd really, really hate to see Holiday World take the same path.

• Like 1

At this point, I'm wondering how much of this still involves planning from Will. It seems like the park's become tremendously more aggressive in its expansion since mid-2011. I'm not criticizing them, as I'm not privy to any of their financial information, but I do worry, and I hope they're being careful about this. From what I read, overexpansion was the ultimate factor that did Geauga Lake in, and I'd really, really hate to see Holiday World take the same path.

I agree 100%. I think that what eases my mind ever so slightly is that the major additions in the past few years (PP, Wildebeest, and Mammoth) have all been in (or accessible via) Splashin' Safari. Anyone who has been there in the middle of the summer can attest that Splashin' Safari needs more ride capacity.

Got to admit this surprises me as I believe the Koch's operating Kentucky KIngdom (or Bluegrass Boardwalk) would impact Holiday World and Splashin Safari:

- Financially, I've got to believe it would dilute the money to be spent

- Personnel, I've got to believe it would cause key leadership to be split up (is the bench deep enough?)

- Attendance, I've got to believe it would have an impact on the Louisville visits to HW

I've been wrong before though.

That press release doesn't show up on the holiday world website or Facebook page, although a link to the Bluegrass Boardwalk page and then the website and twitter account can be found on their Facebook Page.

The press release is on the Bluegrass Boardwalk website, which makes me wonder if the journalist has the source listed correctly.

I guess the negotiations for the re-birth of Ky kingdom are moving right along, and it seems, its moving without Wills Mom, or even an endorsement, or Wills kids, that I thought would be a part of a venture this big. I guess legally with seperate businesses nothing will be tied together?

We shall see how this unfolds.

^^ Financial and management aspects aside, if they want to keep moving west-northwest and pick up Kings Island, too, I'd be entirely okay with it. :lol: Both Cedar Fair and the Kochs have their pluses, but I prefer the "home away from home" feeling of Holiday World than the "big coasters, big thrills, and a googolplex of trashcans" atmosphere of most Cedar Fair parks. (See also: Dollywood, which is by far one of my favorite parks in spite of its comparatively small coaster collection, although I do love Thunderhead and Tennessee Tornado.) Then again, we'll see what Mr. Ouimet brings to the table come coaster season 2012.

Dollywood is working on that coaster thing, with the awesome looking Wild Eagle opening this coming season. I most likely won't be able to make it down there this year, but my son is going as part of a school trip in May.

IMO, if the Koch family sees potential, it still has a chance. I don't care what they call it as long as Greezed Lightnin and Thunder Run reopen, lol. I LOVED Kentucky Kingdom.

A lot of people wrote it off as a junk park (look at Indiana Beach and Stricker's Grove.. they're a dump too, but we still enjoy them as long as we are with friends, don't we?). I saw KK differently. It was a corporate-run park with a small park feeling.. never once did I ever run into a rude employee or one that wasn't willing to help. I had some people telling me not to go to KK, but I went and had a wonderful time, and went back several times with Tom.. we got zen rides on Greezed Lightnin and the second to last ride ever on Chang. He loved the park too. Now that the park is closed, I miss it terribly, but I'm so glad I was able to experience the park while it was still open.

I was informed the other day that Will spoke on the phone with Dan every day until his passing. It occurred to me that perhaps this was along the lines of something Will wanted.

I fear for the condition of the rides, but at the same time I have faith in the Koch family. I am glad they are branching out.. this is just a thought but there are quite a number of rides at Holiday World and maybe the family wants new territory to work with.

I highly doubt that their family park atmosphere will disappear with the addition of another park. If their plans for KK/BB even remotely mirror the success that Holiday World is, then I'm excited to see what unfolds.

• Like 2

First the Koch's have great success with coasters, and they will hopefully keep the rides. I see them keeping one theme through the park, a blue grass boardwalk thrills and chills rides, they could build in honor of their first park a santa river north pole ride out of the penguins blizzard ride stuff like that.

Hopefully with how ky kingdom was friendly and clean the Koch's will keep that up as they always do at Holiday world.

Maybe too they could get a license of some sort for the kids land to add hanna barbera or some type of over the top kids land! It would be incredible.

The future may also hold for day visitors a 2 or 3 day pass between holiday world and bluegrass boardwalk, and for season pass 2 water parks and 2 dry parks.

Great for a family ran company:

Still doesn't make any sense to me. Why do you go in on a deal which you know is bad news (i.e. how the fairboard operates) and would compete with your nearby product? Granted, HW is about an hour away, but the products would still be very similar.

I'd wonder that it's a rogue group of the family looking to go out on their own and compete against HW, but they're using the same spokeswoman.

Not to mention, I've seen those rides and slides up close and personal - there's going to be a lot of money needed to fix them up.