Kentucky Kingdom

The Fair Board and Six Flags settled as to what rides and rights belonged to each. As a part of that settlement, the parties doubtless released each other from further liability as to each other. There have been a couple of winters since. The Fair Board has been responsible for maintenance since. Mr. Workman says they have maintained the property.

• Like 1

The Fair Board has been responsible for maintenance since. Mr. Workman says they have maintained the property.

But does the Fair Board understand what type of maintenance is required on amusement rides? Perhaps they thought they were maintaining it, but did not perform several necessary steps that they were not aware that they needed to do.

• Like 2

If I'm asked to do something that I don't know how to do, I do some research or hire a capable person to do it.

If I was responsible for finding someone to reopen an amusement park I was responsible for, I'd make sure I was maintaining it to assist reopening.

• Like 2

So, basically, Mr Hart gave the Fair Board a cool million. If BB is correct, the million wasn't used as intended.

Why am I not surprised?

I can't help but wonder how the park would be today, had it been originally built elsewhere. Of course, this isn't the only Park to be in Louisville and close down.

..in which Ed implies the Kochs' goal is to have the park fail, thus eliminating Holiday World's competition.

Just remember, just yesterday a poster chided me claiming it didn't matter who attempts to reopen the park.

And perhaps it doesn't.

The results of the economic study should prove to be interesting.

August 16, folks.

See also Ed Hart's op-ed piece:

http://www.courier-j...ell|text|Home|s

Wow some powerful stuff there from Ed. I can't tell if he is more upset with the state or the Koch's. The idea that the Koch's would make this move purely to destroy nearby competition doesn't sound absolutely off the wall when I read and think about it. I have a hard time believing that they would make such a move (Just based off of their outward appearance) BUT from a business perspective I would not be surprised if this was the motive for the move... With all of this turmoil around this BB situation I wonder if they will speak about it at all during HWN tomorrow. I hope they do because I really want to hear their side of the story (No matter how much spin put on it) and see what they are planning to do.

Read Mr. Hart's op ed. He notes the Fair Board even rejected a bid higher than his own solo bid. After Mr. Hart was no longer a factor, Mr. Workman claimed numerous times that "several" parties were interested in leasing the park. The board chose to pursue this BB option. At least for now.

August 16.

It will be interesting to see what happens. It certainly seems that the fair board is a hard group to work with. As a park enthusiast, I hope that the Koch`s and the fair board can get this ironed out and Bluegrass Boardwalk can be a sucess. I am skeptical at this point though. There are a lot of ts that need to be crossed and is dotted.

Just from a non-involved person, it seems like the Koch's can walk away from this, no matter what, looking like saints. If they open the park they have reserected a defunct park. If this does not work out, they can blame the evil fair board, and they still looks like they tried. If the fair board really feels the park is in good shape, they should open it up to a news crew and let them walk around in there....

Mr Hart must have forgotten that he SOLD Kentucky Kingdom to Premier Parks and chose to walk away when it was what he considers "highly successful." He fails to remind folks that he added large attraction after attraction by purchasing them on "time" - incurring debt that he passed on to his predecessors. You cannot operate a highly successful park without paying those debts. One thing I'll hand Holiday World - they install what they can pay for.

Ed Hart is a shrewd business man, but he's not one I'd ever trust. His article wreaks of a high-pressure bully businessman. I find it amusing that he makes pleas to the Louisville public to question the intentions of local government... when in reality he's just ****ed he didn't get a chance to buy, and sell, the park again.

Holiday World is no doubt going to focus on developing Bluegrass Boardwalk (ummmm.... BOARDWALK) as a waterpark. It's what Holiday World knows best... does best... and it's what they know will quickly become a cash cow.

Add a pool and you get Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa and the kiddos. Add a coaster and you get the attention of teenagers. (Enthusiast community excluded of course ;-)

• Like 2

Interesting thread continues, lets hope for the best, Yes Ed hart never paid for what he put in but he did make a whale of a sale.

I'm hoping for the best ,

For the 2nd Louisville park that would close if this does not work out.

I don't see too many other operators that would even take this on.

Fontaine Ferry Park was an amusement park in Louisville, Kentucky from 1905 to 1969. Located in Louisville's West End on 64 acres (260,000 m2), it offered over 50 rides and attractions, as well as a swimming pool, skating rink and theatre. The most popular attraction were its wooden roller coasters, of which 4 were built over the years.

If Louisville is in the need for a park trust me I enjoyed the kingdom, why doesn't someone with deep pockets buy the park, well the problem is its never going to be theres leased land, and rides that are the state fair board.

I don't know about holiday world doing all this to kill competition besides Mr. hart, it was sitting there rotting!

Interesting thread continues, lets hope for the best, Yes Ed hart never paid for what he put in but he did make a whale of a sale.

I'm hoping for the best ,

For the 2nd Louisville park that would close if this does not work out.

I don't see too many other operators that would even take this on.

Fontaine Ferry Park was an amusement park in Louisville, Kentucky from 1905 to 1969. Located in Louisville's West End on 64 acres (260,000 m2), it offered over 50 rides and attractions, as well as a swimming pool, skating rink and theatre. The most popular attraction were its wooden roller coasters, of which 4 were built over the years.

Fountaine Ferry Park closed because of issues related to racial unrest. Unfortunately, not much has changed in that regard as one of the main complaints against KK was always based upon race.

Just sayin'...

• Like 1

Just from a non-involved person, it seems like the Koch's can walk away from this, no matter what, looking like saints. If they open the park they have reserected a defunct park. If this does not work out, they can blame the evil fair board, and they still looks like they tried. If the fair board really feels the park is in good shape, they should open it up to a news crew and let them walk around in there....

I can show you what the park looks like as of a year ago: http://queencitydisc...walk-rises.html

Paula is an incredibly clever PR machine, that's her job and she does it well. I'm sure no matter what happens they'll come out on top in the eyes of enthusiasts and the casual observer alike. Take a look at the comments in the LCJ articles - most people scream their heads off at the fair board and blame the president/government in general.

Hart certainly claims he kept up the park and "maintained" it, the grass was cut, but as for the rides being maintained. I think the Koch's are right on this one... they never were Winterized:

Edit: I should say MOST were never winterized or stored properly.

6940246103_4ab70aa9a2_o.jpg

- Thunder Run train just sitting on the track.

6794130556_2d8ec9d658_o.jpg

- Flying Dutchman cars under cover, but not really out of the elements.

Mr Hart must have forgotten that he SOLD Kentucky Kingdom to Premier Parks and chose to walk away when it was what he considers "highly successful." He fails to remind folks that he added large attraction after attraction by purchasing them on "time" - incurring debt that he passed on to his predecessors. You cannot operate a highly successful park without paying those debts. One thing I'll hand Holiday World - they install what they can pay for.

Ed Hart is a shrewd business man, but he's not one I'd ever trust. His article wreaks of a high-pressure bully businessman. I find it amusing that he makes pleas to the Louisville public to question the intentions of local government... when in reality he's just ****ed he didn't get a chance to buy, and sell, the park again.

Holiday World is no doubt going to focus on developing Bluegrass Boardwalk (ummmm.... BOARDWALK) as a waterpark. It's what Holiday World knows best... does best... and it's what they know will quickly become a cash cow.

Add a pool and you get Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa and the kiddos. Add a coaster and you get the attention of teenagers. (Enthusiast community excluded of course ;-)

Well said.

Not one word was said about Bluegrass Boardwalk by any of the Kochs at Holiwood Nights.

I forgot to mention that. I was surprised yet not surprised (If that makes any sense) that it was not mentioned at all during HoliWood Nights. They are usually excited to talk about new things (Heck they were pumped about Sparkler being added to the park and it being on the ERT list). I think they know what most enthusiasts believe, that this is a losing effort to try and revive KK/BB. The general public is more gullible than the enthusiast crowd and most at the event probably wouldn't have bought the spin.

How many times now have the newspapers sold this as a "sure thing?" Even the various parties reaching for its re-opening provided clear messages that road bumps were present, but everything was wrapping up.

Now we're on to 2014. Even the bright spin of Koch PR is becoming a little distressed and obviously fed-up with those "road bumps," and the park deteriorates farther...

Third time's the charm?

It seems like the fair board is almost actively campaigning against a tenant.

Doesn't it make sense that they're the ones with the decrepit amusement park that is very actively rotting away, creating a burden on the local economy by removing jobs from the market while also draining major dollars from the area? Instead, they've taken on the role of the finicky, uncooperative suitor where if I were in their position, I'd be willing to meet in the middle and then some. Beggars, it seems, can be choosers.

If not the Koch's, then who do they expect to come out of the woodwork next? Especially since we now have a clear picture of the condition the rides are in and have heard that if work began immediately, we'd still be two years out from an opening. Now, who would want to pick that up?