Kentucky Kingdom

Hart: Kentucky Kingom to reach million annual

attendance after three or four years, to be competitive with Holiday World and Kings Island, condition of park to be assessed next month:

http://www.ibj.com/kentucky-fair-board-group-reach-amusement-park-deal/PARAMS/article/39210

Wasn't the condition assessed earlier?

If this does happens, this would be good for our region, but maybe not Holiday World.

2014 Kings Island New Coaster

Kentucky Kingdom's Reopening, New Water Park, Rides

2015 Kentucky Kingdom reopens Twisted Twins and adds a new B&M Coaster

The only B&M item at Kentucky Kingdom in 2015 will be the footings remaining from when SF took Chang away. You'll be lucky if the park is even open by 2014 and even luckier if it's still operating just as a water park in 2015.

Louisville is currently dealing with High Crime and rampant Heroin abuse. I highly doubt many will chose KK over HW or KI.

At least he puts on a good front.

So is Cincinnati! Is there a point to the crime and Heroin statements?

First off, Cincinnati probably has a higher crime rate just based on population alone - especially taking into account the metro area. At the same time, Cincinnati doesn't seem to be having the same heroin issue that Louisville's media outlets continually report on in that fine city. And before you took a slight at the Queen City, there was a point to DieselTech's "crime and heroin" statements.

Whether or not Cincinnati has a crime issue is irrelevant. Kings Island isn't in Cincinnati, it's about 20 miles north of the downtown core in an affluent suburb where the lawns are manicured, the sprawl and neighboring attractions are plentiful. Kentucky Kingdom is in downtown Louisville and perception is key. Personally, I love visiting Louisville just as much as I do visiting downtown Cincinnati. However, the area surrounding Kentucky Kingdom isn't known for the friendly neighbors. I remember picking my friend up who's repair business was within view of the Twisted Twins:

"Hey Greg, ready for lunch?"

- "Yeah, but first get your car off the street and park in our garage."

Not to mention, Kentucky Kingdom wasn't really well known for its classy guests throughout the day and at the wrestling shows. Which begs another question as to why other parks would want midget wrestling?

• Like 4

Cincinnati doesn't really have bad crime, but it does for the population. Take Cincinnati's crime and replace it with Chicago's crime and it would be unsafe to walk anywhere near Cincinnati. Anyways, like the above post, Kings Island is located in a nice area, far from downtown. Although if Kings Island was 5 minutes from Cinci I'd still go without worrying about crime, that's mainly in Over The Rhine - you don't find it around Fountain Square, Hyde Park, and other neighborhoods.

Kentucky Kingdom group gets preliminary approval of tourism incentives

The action at an authority meeting in Frankfort clears the way for a consultant study to ensure that the application by Kentucky Kingdom LLLP, led by investor Ed Hart, meets the criteria for incentives. The assistance could be as much as $10 million in rebated state sales tax generated by the park over 10 years.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130130/NEWS01/301300114/Kentucky-Kingdom-group-gets-preliminary-approval-tourism-incentives

I think I remember hearing Feb 1st being the day they could get into the park to start work. That might be when the lease starts? I could be wrong.

Feb 4th. Here's the ironic part. That day will mark that 4th anniversary of Six Flags announcing the closing of Kentucky Kingdom.

The myth of the luxury convention center host hotel rears it's ugly head once again (see link in the Interpreter's comment above). This is a silly expensive myth well studied and disclaimed by Heywood Sanders in this article based upon his study published (behind a pay wall) finding no economic gain from host hotels:

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2012/10/does_a_convention_hotel_make_s.html

Professor Sanders is the foremost expert on convention centers and host hotels in the United States. Here is his extensive study and conclusions about the publicly funded convention center business:

http://www.brookings.edu/research/reports/2005/01/01cities-sanders

For the Fair Board to claim no government money will be spent on this project whilst doling out tax breaks and credits is not honest. If you forgive an otherwise due tax it is the same as spending tax funds.

• Like 1

Thanks for the mascot and articles: to the kingdoms bright future:

Louisville is currently dealing with High Crime and rampant Heroin abuse. I highly doubt many will chose KK over HW or KI.

At least he puts on a good front.

So is Cincinnati! Is there a point to the crime and Heroin statements?

First off, Cincinnati probably has a higher crime rate just based on population alone - especially taking into account the metro area. At the same time, Cincinnati doesn't seem to be having the same heroin issue that Louisville's media outlets continually report on in that fine city. And before you took a slight at the Queen City, there was a point to DieselTech's "crime and heroin" statements.

Whether or not Cincinnati has a crime issue is irrelevant. Kings Island isn't in Cincinnati, it's about 20 miles north of the downtown core in an affluent suburb where the lawns are manicured, the sprawl and neighboring attractions are plentiful. Kentucky Kingdom is in downtown Louisville and perception is key. Personally, I love visiting Louisville just as much as I do visiting downtown Cincinnati. However, the area surrounding Kentucky Kingdom isn't known for the friendly neighbors. I remember picking my friend up who's repair business was within view of the Twisted Twins:

"Hey Greg, ready for lunch?"

- "Yeah, but first get your car off the street and park in our garage."

Not to mention, Kentucky Kingdom wasn't really well known for its classy guests throughout the day and at the wrestling shows. Which begs another question as to why other parks would want midget wrestling?

Cincinnati has the same if not worse heroin problems that Louisville is having. You don't know about it, because the local news doesn't care to report about it. It is a regional problem, not a local one. It used to be that heroin was the expensive drug. Now it is cheap. Whatever it is being laced with is killing people -- quickly. 3 years ago, we were lucky to see a drug overdose once every 3-6 months. Now we see at least 1 a week. Sometimes we see 2 or 3 a week, in a small suburb of Cincinnati. Multiply that across the area, and you will find out just how big the true problem is. It knocks people out then stops their ability to breathe. I have seen it enough in the past couple of years to know.

Cincinnati doesn't really have bad crime, but it does for the population. Take Cincinnati's crime and replace it with Chicago's crime and it would be unsafe to walk anywhere near Cincinnati. Anyways, like the above post, Kings Island is located in a nice area, far from downtown. Although if Kings Island was 5 minutes from Cinci I'd still go without worrying about crime, that's mainly in Over The Rhine - you don't find it around Fountain Square, Hyde Park, and other neighborhoods.

That is an extremely short sighted view. OTR isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. The other neighborhoods are still having issues dealing with crime, and heroin use is everywhere. Not every bad thing that goes on is restricted to OTR anymore. Recent news indicates bigger issues in Westwood and Avondale related to crime and other issues as compared to OTR. YOu don't find it around Fountain Square, due to "Downtown Services" which is CPD police unit that patrols the city's center hub, helps people out with directions, and places to go, and makes sure the riff raff doesn't get to stay downtown. Hyde Park isn't going to have issues either, being one of the most desirable places in the nation to live. There are tons of other Cincinnati neighborhoods and suburbs that do have those problems. 10-15 years ago, OTR was a ghetto. Most of that is gone now, and those groups have been forced into Avondale, Westwood, and Fairmount, and other neighborhoods, still within the city limits.

• Like 3