Kentucky Kingdom

I have said all along that, though Mr. Hart publicly stresses the dry park and its rides and attractions, it is the waterpark and repeat customers there--along with per caps in the park, that will make or break Kentucky Kingdom.

And that huge crowds will head to the park for at least a visit. Many were shocked at how many season passes the Kingdom has sold. That is both a blessing and a curse. Revenue, yes. Per caps over time or a baby sitting service for precocious teens and pre-teens? That remains to be seen.

The maps were a similar, long-time frustration at the Kingdom even 15 years ago. Six Flags also had them at the admission gates--you could pick one up, but they weren't freely offered.

• Like 5

Hart said the park has developed a quick-entry system that should mitigate long lines at the entrance, especially for season-pass holders, and no ride should have longer waits than 40 minutes.

How the heck do they plan on ensuring that?!?

Darien Lake (coincidentally, another former SIX property) has a similar guarantee in place. If you wait in line longer than 45 minutes, you may go to guest services and receive a free front-of-the-line pass for the ride on which you experienced the lengthy wait. They also offer rainchecks for days in which the majority of rides are closed due to inclement weather.

• Like 4

So is that on the honor system? I see it ripe for potential abuse, if so.

Even if they do have a way of guaranteeing the person actually waited that long, it seems to me that would make a bad situation even worse, as everyone who experiences a wait comes back and cuts the line of those who have come after them, who most likely were already going to experience a similar wait and now will have to wait even longer. The snowballing would be tremendous.

• Like 8

Yes, just like every other coaster on this planet believe it or not but Lightning Run is very noticeable because it is inches away from the side way. Dragster at Cedar Point is also very noticeable. The closer you are to a coaster, the more noticeably it becomes. If coasters do not sway, they will break and collapse.

http://www.wave3.com/story/25611811/kentucky-kingdom-viral-video-doesnt-tell-whole-story-lighting-run-roller-coaster-safe

http://www.wdrb.com/story/25611809/watch-video-shows-kentucky-kingdom-coaster-swaying

• Like 5

I had a family member post the video last night and say "I hope someone reported this". I told them there was nothing to report. Their response, "these things terrify me so I know nothing about them". Lol. Then be quiet and stop spreading bad info.

• Like 8

I know the article says "more than," but lets assume the number is somewhere near the 30,000 mentioned. The park is wanting to tout success so if it were 40k or 50k I am sure they would have said it. The Columbus Zoo did right around 30,000 both Saturday and Sunday, yet KK only averaged 10,000 per day over the first 3 days?

Am I reading too much in to this or should I be concerned? Seems a bit low.

• Like 2

Maybe, everyone stayed away because of the grand opening? Or maybe its just way low... I have no idea.

What would be considered good? 15 K per day? 30 k per day? I honestly have no idea. I was going to compare to the blog post that Boddah posted about KI "making it" when they reached 40 K per day.

I had 5 different non-enthusiast friends here in Louisville all tell me the same thing over the weekend. They basically said they were going to wait to go to KK until it has all the "kinks" worked out. Specifically they said they wanted to wait to see if the park is safe... on multiple levels... before returning.

• Like 4

Lots of folks are scared thanks to the "swaying" video. News outlets are posting via Facebook that the ride is fine, hoping people will share it to spread the word. The comments are something else.

I believe the video was taken and released for the sole purpose of spreading fear. No matter what the park does, it has quite an uphill battle.

• Like 3

That is the most I've seen a ride sway and its clear why it would scare the general public. Id like to ride it but i'll wait until 2016 or so when the others are open.

Also to railrider I'm not concered if it were to shut down within that time. I had little interest to go before it shut down and I have slightly more interest than that now. If it were to happen again I wouldn't feel like I missed out.

• Like 3