Kentucky Kingdom

Perfect storm here.

Uncoordinated PR misfiring and requiring multiple releases to get across simple messages;

Employees seemingly (and admittedly) untrained to handle situations that federal law requires;

Yet employees are somehow empowered enough to approach breastfeeding mothers (either revealing that employees are not well trained in the law and rules, or the parks rules are out of step with the law);

Possible homophobic slurs aimed at a guest and from a man who may have been representing the park and / or city of Louisville.

---

And in terms of that last one (and maybe a few of the others), I made a very divisive comment a number of years ago - before the idea of a resurrected Kentucky Kingdom was even on the table - that the park's name had been a part of its downfall. No one wants to say it, but states names come with their own list of preconceptions and misconceptions. A park called Ohio Adventure probably would not draw too many folks from Chicago, right? Or even Pittsburgh. The idea of "Ohio" is not romantic or engaging for most people. Fine. And like it or not, a park called West Virginia Kingdom would probably have a different attendance statistic than an identical park named Grand Adventures Park. Kennywood is more marketable than Pennsylvania Acres. It is what it is.

Perception is reality, and I – as a liberal Ohioan from the Columbus area – can't see myself making a trek to "Kentucky Kingdom." Is it psychological? Sure. Unfair? Ungrounded? Biased? 100%. Kentucky Kingdom could be the nicest park in the world for 10 years, and in the 11th year when I heard about a fight between some teenagers, I would say, "Yep! I knew it would happen! Kentucky Kingdom!" That's not fair of me, but you can't undo those stereotypes in one day.

The very name Kentucky Kingdom comes with its own baggage (not the least of which being its previous life) and the stories above are now tied to my impression of Kentucky Kingdom, which was itself already bound to the stereotypes I have of Kentucky. Homophobic slurs in the water park, rough clientele, lax security guards... I should be surprised, but I'm not. Let the hate mail begin, but I know I'm not the only person from Cleveland or Columbus who gets second thoughts about a park called Kentucky Kingdom. Sad but true. And yes, I know MANY wonderful folks from Kentucky, and many FANTASTIC posters here who are from Kentucky. It's not an attack. Again, I recognize that Ohio Adventure would come with its own baggage. And notice, there is no Ohio Adventure park... No West Virginia Kingdom... No California Adventure... Okay, well, that's different.

• Like 6

She's told the wrong thing by an employee. She gets mad. She tells Guest Services at KK, they clarify that the employee was wrong.

She still takes to FB to try to embarrass the company.

KK posts on their FB what the rule is, which was exactly what she wanted.

She's still not happy.

Ed Hart calls her and apologizes and said he wanted to add more rocking chairs to the nursing areas.

She wants to make it clear that she can do whatever she wants when it comes to this so she's seemingly "offended" by this statement.

I'd bet you anything that she's the type that never tips at a restaurant because there's always SOMETHING wrong with her meal or service. The manager comes out and apologizes and comps her meal but she still calls the corporate office.

• Like 12

Actually from the HuffPost article it looks like the park originally told her she could use the health room and not a bathroom.

She has the right to "plop down on a rock" and feed the kiddo.

Looks like the parks misstep was using the word discretion. I think she was right to be upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Let's not cast a judgement on a state based on some derelict people. No reason for that. I loved my times in Kentucky...and the people are fine. We are from Ohio...and there is nothing of worth said about us. A red state no less in a majority of the regions. Most cast the same limelight on us. Backwards people...flat As whatever...boring state. Sucks. ( I love it here though brethren.)

Let kk suffer their consequence s and let's leave the people of the region out of the discussions.

Let it be known that I have have no political denomination. They are of the same cloth to me. Both sides.

• Like 3

I wonder if the employee's purpose was to let the mother know that there was a more comfortable place available? At work when I've seen people breast feeding or changing their child's diaper in awkward or uncomfortable places(for the parents), I've mentioned that we have a nursing room and all the restrooms have changing tables. It has never been my intention to tell them they can't nurse there but share that there is a more comfortable place for them if they would like it; many folks aren't aware of it. I can imagine how a poorly trained person could completely bumble that up. The first time someone started to breastfeed in the middle of one of my shows as a 17-year-old was so very uncomfortable for me as I didn't know what to do. They didn't cover that in our training!

Sadly, the park's response to this situation after could have been handled better.

• Like 2

I saw Ed's post on the feeding subject. No one was happy it seemed even though Ed posted the right stuff, and was very nice after his staff messed up on posting about feeding at the park. And just about everyone was fighting, insulting each other and cussing despite Ed making the right call on the parks Facebook page. I get that mothers feeding in a public place is a very tough subject to talk about. I had to unlike Ky. Kingdoms page because the fighting got so bad. Ky. Kingdom will have mess-ups. This is the first time the park has been open in a few years. I am sure that a lot of the staff is new. I do agree with BoddaH1994. I have seen people like that everywhere.

If it were a contractor, they'd terminate the contract.

For instance, Kentucky Kingdom in the Speedo case at first tried pointing the finger at the Louisville Police Department, implying that the security officer was not acting at the behest of Kentucky Kingdom. The mayor was not amused.

Nothing at Kentucky Kingdom ever seems to be management's fault. It's a misled employee, a Louisville police officer...whatever, so long as Hart & Co. can blame someone else.

Poor misinderstood park...

• Like 5

^ LOL at the guy who attempted to nonchalantly blame KK's troubles on the state and people of Kentucky. You can stay away as we'd prefer you to never grace us with your (lack of) class.

Well that just blew away all my preconcieved notions of Kentuckians! Thanks!

GYK, the guy who attempted to nonchalantly blame KK's troubles on psychological (EDIT: and cultural) biases that we all possess. Same guy who made the case that those biases made me imagine Kentucky as a place I'd feel unwelcome. At least now I have a presumed-Kentuckian telling me I'm unwelcome! No imagination needed. :) Having fun footing the bill for Kentucky Kingdom while Mr. Hart and his "PR" team spend your tax dollars into the ground? Hey-oh!

• Like 12

These issues highlight an arguably bigger problem for the park; its managenent's incredible lack of foresight. They had to know that every single little issue would be made into something bigger. One would of thought that employees would have been vigorously trained to handle situations like the ones that occurred and that management would have been aware of all local laws. They PR response so far has been poor at best and at the worst possible time. Kentucky Kingdom will only be the new toy in town for so long.

• Like 4

It amazes me at just how much basic stuff is being missed. Ed Hart has had experience running this very park in the past. He should know better. Yes, many things have changed since then, but even so, it's getting ridiculous. The PR guy they've got certainly isn't helping matters either.

• Like 5

It amazes me at just how much basic stuff is being missed. Ed Hart has had experience running this very park in the past. He should know better. Yes, many things have changed since then, but even so, it's getting ridiculous. The PR guy they've got certainly isn't helping matters either.

Back then, he wasn't an underdog contending with viral social media, expectations of failure, and instant communication, and with the taxpaying citizens of Kentucky on his hind side looking for answers.

• Like 9

Times have changed, especially the consumer. Yet Ed Hart has not. The New Kentucky Kingdom was falling down before they ever got to the start line. Who builds a new Drop Tower ride, with the history of having one of the most tragic industry accidents happen within the park on a similar ride? Who does that? Ed Hart and the New Kentucky Kingdom.

Who staffs an inept PR department that is unable to resolve a simple misunderstanding in the media with one post? Ed Hart does.

Seriously, 1 post to social media that management agrees upon and locking the comments on Facebook would have resolved this issue.

Instead details are missed and it only feeds the storm that is brewing.

We have covered the continuous missteps of the New Kentucky Kingdom in this thread, but I think the best way to some of The New Kentucky Kingdom is they do not pay attention to the details of the business or operations. Ignoring the details will provide a few years of success, but eventually patrons will stop going because the details are missed. How many times will you go to McDonalds if they constantly give you the wrong drink? After awhile you will travel a bit further to a different McDonalds who focuses on the details. This my friends is how you get from "just ok" to "great"! The New Kentucky Kingdom is "just ok" it is not great and "just ok" will not survive this economy.

• Like 6

Basic business all boils down to customer perception. There is a reason people will drive miles and miles out of their way to visit even a grocery chain such as Kroger. Would you rather have "so-so" service, or drive a bit further to get "amazing" service. I know what I would choose.

• Like 1

She's told the wrong thing by an employee. She gets mad. She tells Guest Services at KK, they clarify that the employee was wrong.

She still takes to FB to try to embarrass the company.

KK posts on their FB what the rule is, which was exactly what she wanted.

She's still not happy.

erf

Ed Hart calls her and apologizes and said he wanted to add more rocking chairs to the nursing areas.

She wants to make it clear that she can do whatever she wants when it comes to this so she's seemingly "offended" by this statement.

I'd bet you anything that she's the type that never tips at a restaurant because there's always SOMETHING wrong with her meal or service. The manager comes out and apologizes and comps her meal but she still calls the corporate office.

I have a co-worker who, whenever we have a business luncheon, finds something wrong with her meal and gets it free every time. Its totally disgusting since everyone at the table gets a perfect meal and service except for her. There are plenty of people like that for sure!

As far as KK goes, I'm sure that the majority of these complaints are bandwagon complaints with folks pushing the boundaries to get into the news without regard to the ramifications of their actions on the park.

The park is in effect, becoming a scapegoat in many of these instances.

• Like 3

^ LOL at the guy who attempted to nonchalantly blame KK's troubles on the state and people of Kentucky. You can stay away as we'd prefer you to never grace us with your (lack of) class.

This is an off-base, lazy response. You made no attempt whatsoever to actually comprehend the point that goodyellowkorn and add to the discussion, and instead went with a personal attack that was misguided.

• Like 2

Perception is reality, and I – as a liberal Ohioan from the Columbus area – can't see myself making a trek to "Kentucky Kingdom." Is it psychological? Sure. Unfair? Ungrounded? Biased? 100%. Kentucky Kingdom could be the nicest park in the world for 10 years, and in the 11th year when I heard about a fight between some teenagers, I would say, "Yep! I knew it would happen! Kentucky Kingdom!" That's not fair of me, but you can't undo those stereotypes in one day.

The very name Kentucky Kingdom comes with its own baggage (not the least of which being its previous life) and the stories above are now tied to my impression of Kentucky Kingdom, which was itself already bound to the stereotypes I have of Kentucky. Homophobic slurs in the water park, rough clientele, lax security guards... I should be surprised, but I'm not. Let the hate mail begin, but I know I'm not the only person from Cleveland or Columbus who gets second thoughts about a park called Kentucky Kingdom. Sad but true. And yes, I know MANY wonderful folks from Kentucky, and many FANTASTIC posters here who are from Kentucky. It's not an attack. Again, I recognize that Ohio Adventure would come with its own baggage. And notice, there is no Ohio Adventure park... No West Virginia Kingdom... No California Adventure... Okay, well, that's different.

Disney California Adventure (which you actually mentioned)

California's Great America

Alabama Adventure

Six Flags New Orleans

Six Flags St. Louis.

Six Flags Over Texas

Six Flags Fiesta Texas

Six Flags Over Georgia

Six Flags Mexico

OK, admittedly, there's a pretty big and easy-to-spot pattern here (which brings up an issue I have with a particular chain, but that's for another thread) and a couple of parks that are not operating for various reasons. But the main point is that while having a location (ANY location) in the name of a park is going to bring with it certain ideas about what you might expect to find, I don't think that alone is enough to REALLY make a difference. I mean, by your very logic as a liberal Ohioan from Columbus, would not the two Six Flags parks in Texas offer similar vibes in a lot of ways? And yet, those two parks are two of the most prominent ones on that list that I threw together. Let me also add that as a conservative Ohioan from Butler County, the idea of "California Adventure" or "California's Great America" offers its own baggage that, to me, is very similar to what you would experience looking at a park with the name "Kentucky Kingdom" so I do see where you're coming from (only my preconceived notions have some capacity to be overcome due to the parks in question actually being good, but that's another story). I really don't buy into its name really being pertinent to be honest. And look at what we've seen from the park. Change their name to "Super Awesome Funland" and leave every other aspect the same and I honestly don't see things being any different. The park is shooting itself in the foot badly enough right now. I actually think there's little negative impact that the name even COULD bring in considering what we've seen, because reputation-wise, they're doing a poor job. And it's a real shame, because they actually have a wonderful little collection of rides, and there's no denying that I've had a lot of fun in that park this season. As the name goes, I actually like it. Since the park is funded in part by the taxpayers of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, I think it's only fair to give them some representation in its name (though I can see where they may not really want THAT sort of representation...)

And for those who don't want to read my 12:00 AM ramblings, here's the short version: I think the fact that Kentucky is in their name is BY FAR the least of this park's issues right now.

• Like 7

I've held commenting on the board's at arm's length for a while, but some times I read things and just have to comment.

John's professional background is in operations and more recently in a marketing capacity. One of the downfalls is that Marketing and PR are two different disciplines.

That being said, this "mother" must not have been too embarrassed since she went from crying on the phone to her mother while at the park to exposing her name publicly for all to see and posting pictures of herself with her tongue out at the park on Facebook. If she had been truly scarred- she would have been seeking an apology privately. Instead, we ALL know who she is.

What I don't understand is how once people get this "victim" mentality, there's really no end to it. I have no idea where said breast feeding occurred in the park, but instead of taking a bit of personal responsibility in the matter and realizing that "hey, the world doesn't revolve around me, this isn't my home living room and is a 'public' place, maybe I should be a bit more discrete." Breast feeding is a natural part of life, and therefore should not be illegal anywhere, within reason. Going to the restroom is legal- but you don't drop trail just anywhere. OK, maybe bad example.

Not that the park hasn't done a pretty good job shooting themselves in the foot... with their own guns- but I get irritated at people who get their feelings tinged a bit turning it into a federal case. Someone gets their feelings hurt, or gets embarrassed so what do they do- set up an interview at the local TV station, better yet- get interviewed by the Huffington Post.

• Like 7

I breast fed my daughter in public numerous times, including KK, KI, SeaWorld Ohio and never once had a problem. I never fed her in a restroom. I was discrete, covered up and not sitting in a major walk through. As a mom, it was my time to take a few minutes to rest and not make us a public spectacle.

I do believe KK handled the situation wrong. I think the woman was either just in a bad mood or had an agenda from the get go. I would guess the latter since nothing seems to make her happy.

• Like 4

I have learned recently that breast feeding mothers are not to be messed with. You want to see someone go from a great mood to terrible in the blink of an eye tell her she shouldn't be breastfeeding where she is.

• Like 7

Think of the baby. YOU want to eat in a restroom?

And let's not forget the wheelchair access/ disability issues.

Or the security issues in the water park...

Poor Kentucky Kingdom. All these customers picking on it. Isn't it just a trifle odd that each incident shares the circumstance that the complaining party is in a class often discriminated against? Then some people here want to blame the victim?

Remember, it was no less than Ed Hart who, in trying to make amends, said mothers can nurse where they want IF they use discretion. Perhaps they should use that discretion when considering if Kentucky Kingdom is a family friendly park.

Then we get told here that the person making the request was a "so-called" employee. Really?

• Like 8

I was taught when I was in my first management position it was my responsibility to handle things correctly and take ownership when my staff was at fault. Throwing them under the bus so to speak was not acceptable. Ed and management of Kentucky Kingdom should own up and say we messed up. That's far more commendable than blaming others. Train better, management needs to conduct themselves better (an employee will never perform at a higher level than those above them. In fact, employee behavior often mocks managements behavior).

I am happy to report in my current position I am not in management.

• Like 5