Kentucky Kingdom

That depends. How much capital re-investment are you planning? How many PR snafus have you had this summer? Are you in the middle of a sketchy urban neighborhood? Are you operating on loans backed by the park's real estate, which is owned by a government? Do you pay way below market rent? Has the park filed bankruptcy before? Have you, in this summer, misrepresented your admission price for a 10 day event, then have to honor that price if bought "in advance" at a local grocery store when that price was supposed to have stopped just before the event started? Did you get a sweet deal with your landlord by having a former high Democrat official and Mitch McConnell opponent (and chum of the Governor) as your business partner? Is your park's reopening likely going to be a statewide political issue next year? Has a local councilman said he's glad you are open so the local kids can come instead of going to a movie or breaking into cars? And, most of all...

Have you considered The Beach's season passes just may well be underpriced?

• Like 6

The edit to the original post is also rather interesting.

To put it mildly.

My thoughts on the future of Kentucky Kingdom are based on many years of observing the industry, and, perhaps more importantly, Kentucky politics.

Cue up, Maestro, Messrs Hart and Lunsford asking the Fair Board for more lease concessions to make more "re-investment" in the park possible.

That's coming next, and, given that 2015 is an odd numbered year coming a year before one divisible by 4, the request must be made now to avoid the political heat somewhat.

• Like 3

Sccard really believes he is the only one who believes in and wants the park to survive.

There aren't a WHOLE lot of us that really believe in the park much. It's not that they can't survive, but they need to make some major changes - and fast. If things continue as they are, then I really do think the park's days are numbered.

However, there is at least one other guy here (me) who really loves that park, and truly and honestly WANTS it to succeed. A successful Kentucky Kingdom is good for the park industry. Competition drives innovation. And plus, I just genuinely really enjoy the rides and attractions at that park. Do I want it to fail? No. A BIG no. I want them to stick around forever. More fun coasters to ride in the region is always better than less. Basically, I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.

• Like 7

As I have stated here before, I went to Kentucky Kingdom 33 times in 1998, and I lived three and a half hours away.

I, too, want Kentucky Kingdom to succeed. That being said, I think this latest effort is nothing more than a political stunt on one side, and an attempt to make a fortune by selling out the park (again) on the other. Both sides have long histories of this.

One definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result:

* The location hasn't changed.

* The politics of having to deal with the Fair Boatd hasn't changed.

* The undercapitalization hasn't changed.

* The poor operations hasn't changed.

* The poor marketing hasn't changed.

What has:

* The park business has gotten a whole lot tougher.

* People have less disposable income.

* School calendars are much less favorable.

* Expenses, including labor and insurance, have risen dramatically.

* The park has gotten a bad safety reputation, largely from the Six Flags Drop Tower incident (so new management installs one!?!)

* The new park's lender, the ONLY one willing to lend for the park (and even it refused to lend the requested amount, this WITH the loan backed by the Commonwealth owned park real estate--a luxury Six Flags never had here) is being sold to a large out of state bank--likely taking prospects of future additional finacimg with it.

What may change:

- With the Kentucky Kingdom reopening being very politically unpopular in rural Kentucky, there is a good chance it will be a central political issue in the 2015 Kentucky Governor's race, plus those for state house and senate seats. If the Democrats lose, it may be watch while Katy bars the Kingdom doors...

• Like 6

As I have stated here before, I went to Kentucky Kingdom 33 times in 1998, and I lived three and a half hours away.

I, too, want Kentucky Kingdom to succeed. That being said, I think this latest effort is nothing more than a political stunt on one side, and an attempt to make a fortune by selling out the park (again) on the other. Both sides have long histories of this.

One definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result:

* The location hasn't changed.

* The politics of having to deal with the Fair Boatd hasn't changed.

* The undercapitalization hasn't changed.

* The poor operations hasn't changed.

* The poor marketing hasn't changed.

What has:

* The park business has gotten a whole lot tougher.

* People have less disposable income.

* School calendars are much less favorable.

* Expenses, including labor and insurance, have risen dramatically.

* The park has gotten a bad safety reputation, largely from the Six Flags Drop Tower incident (so new management installs one!?!)

* The new park's lender, the ONLY one willing to lend for the park (and even it refused to lend the requested amount, this WITH the loan backed by the Commonwealth owned park real estate--a luxury Six Flags never had here) is being sold to a large out of state bank--likely taking prospects of future additional finacimg with it.

What may change:

- With the Kentucky Kingdom reopening being very politically unpopular in rural Kentucky, there is a good chance it will be a central political issue in the 2015 Kentucky Governor's race, plus those for state house and senate seats. If the Democrats lose, it may be watch while Katy bars the Kingdom doors...

Many may ask:

pxp5edgyo1xugmawtdze.gif

Heard in the halls at Frankfort:

Rumor A: Hart's New Kentucky Kingdom will stay open October weekends because attendance has been so great and they want to show their appreciation. Admission $9.95, but only if purchased in advance at Kroger.

Rumor B: The park will open October weekends in an attempt to improve the balance sheet.

I suspect neither rumor is true, as October weekends with no BooFest are highly unlikely to be profitable with the current Louisville Park offerings.

• Like 2

I am HIGHLY considering visiting the park this Sunday, on Kentucky Kingdom's last operating day of the 2014 season.

.....And yes, as Terp stated above, it is THE LAST day of the 2014 operating season at Kentucky Kingdom.

Yes, really. (Unfortunately)

If we'd just all open up our Hart, and stay open (maybe for some BooFest?) for a few weekends in October......Oh Wait.....

• Like 3