Kentucky Kingdom

2015 announcement forthcoming: tomorrow, 9/25, at 1:30 pm.

http://www.wave3.com/story/26619225/kentucky-kingdom-to-announce-new-attractions

And yet, per the paper that I received (AFTER I had paid the cost of renewing my pass, mind you - not before) thanking me for "my continued support and enthusiasm" they have already "announced" most of the new things for next year:

• T3 (née T2)
  • Raging Rapids River Ride
  • The Enterprise (I feel like the latter two were SUPPOSED to open this year and it never happened, seeing as they are both labeled on the park map)
  • Two new "family thrill rides"

This is complete conjecture, but I would expect a couple new shops and such to open as well, as opening Raging Rapids and T3 will require the opening of a whole new section of the park.

• Like 6

Sometimes I feel like working at the Kentucky Kingdom marketing department would be a bit like this:

SCR1.jpg

Come to think of it, I think this screenshot represents the Kingdom rather well. From the advertising, to the finances, to the guest count... And even the setting!

- Homestar92, who carefully chose the correct level from which to take his screenshot.

• Like 14

^Chris Sawyer has said that many of the stages in the first RollerCoaster Tycoon game were inspired by real parks.

This one just happens to be one of the more obvious correlations.

Ironically, the second game had real Six Flags parks in it and was released during their ownership of KK. And yet, it did not make an appearance. Though you could go on a Great Adventure to a particular Mountain.

• Like 7

Let's be (Cedar) Fair though... A certain major park in Sandusky (whose marketing department is most assuredly FAR better than they have in the Hartland) made their 2015 announcement on a weekday before noon.

This, however, followed several announcements of the announcements. Perhaps that makes a difference.

Attendance figures are out.

They are ... surprising.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2014/09/25/kentucky-kingdom-drew-first-year-re-opening/16179885/

$8-10 million capex for 2015.

I seem to remember this is substantially less than what was in their RFP proposal.

Next comes the lease concessions request....

• Like 4

That means the park had, on average, about 6,400 guests per day in the park.

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/on-the-town/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2014/6/3/theme_park_attendance.html

Take it for what it is, which means it may not be or is true, but it states that KI in 2013 has 3.2 Million visitors...

i believe that figure bests its final year or so under Six Flags. That is some measure of success particularly with much of the park still shuttered and a relatively short operating season. As a fan of KK and a KY tax payer I am pulling for them :) I hope they up their marketing attempts next year as well. That was certainly lacking this year.

• Like 3

They are ... surprising.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2014/09/25/kentucky-kingdom-drew-first-year-re-opening/16179885/

I seem to remember this is substantially less than what was in their RFP proposal.

Did you really think he was going to invest no more than $2.5 million a year?

I'm pleasantly surprised. It looks as if the Kingdom will be back next year.

I wonder how 600,000 compares to parks such as Holiday World or Kings Island.

Based on attendance estimates I have seen...

Kings Island: 3,000,000+ (has risen up to 3.5 million before)

Kentucky Kingdom Late 90's: 1,300,000+ (After Debut of Chang, right before Six Flags "decline" started)

Holiday World: 1,100,000+ (could shoot up to 1.5 million with Thunderbird in 2015)

Kentucky Kingdom 2014: 600,000+

While 600k is fairly impressive for a smaller park just now coming back, they are still far behind Holiday World and far from where they were in the late 90's attenance-wise. And they have NEVER even gotten close to Kings Island.

As for the new-for-2015 rides...they look like nice additions, if not anything huge. Cyclos in particular looks really cool, and they are getting on the chair swing ride bandwagon it seems. Not exactly anything that looks like it's going to blow the $10,000,000 budget they seem to have though, and the once promised 2015 B&M coaster is nowhere to be found...

^
Pretty early in the proposal- Hart said he was only spending $15 million on it though I think (with that budget I doubt it would have been much since most B&M's run $20M plus these days). When the park was approved to be re-opened, the new-for-2015 coaster seemed to get dropped and T3 was made the main-new-thing for 2015.

• Like 1

^^
That could have been what happened- especially if Hart & Co. decided their $15M budget wouldn't get much of a B&M. Though I'm reading the Kentucky Kingdom proposal PDF again and checking this- they state "an amazing one-of-a-kind" new coaster for 2015. Though Lightning Run is not mentioned it seems...also I corrected KK's attendance figure above, they had 1.3 million at peak in 1998, not 1.5.

EDIT: Reading the proposal, I found a section where it states one of the "new rides" will be a 135-foot swing ride. Well- that one comes true next year.

• Like 1

They are ... surprising.

Did you really think he was going to invest no more than $2.5 million a year?

THAT starts in 2016. Big investment this year. Medium for 2015. Then $2.5 million a year perpetually thereafter.