Kentucky Kingdom

I just hope that Ed Hart is able to Figure It Out. Sometimes it seems he is 1 vs 100 in the amusement industry. Perhaps the park is in better hands with him than with another possible owner that considered the park, as they have a bit of a Family Feud to worry about. If The Price is Right, then customers will be happy to purchase admission. As the park grows, perhaps the fair board will say, "Let's Make A Deal!" and offer the park a great price on their lease or a discounted parking pass for season passholders. Ed Hart may even be able to make the Sale of the Century and once again get the park into the hands of a major theme park chain. I think the think he needs most to remember, however, is not to Press Your Luck, or the future of his investment may be in Jeopardy! Ed Hart knows how to speak the business Lingo. Investing in a shuttered park is like giving the Wheel of Fortune a spin. If you think it's easy to raise an amusement park from the ashes, then frankly, You Don't Know Jack!

• Like 10

http://www.coaster-net.com/news/2502-kentucky-kingdom-touts-very-successful-first-year/

This has to be the one of the most biased things I've seen come from a coaster website, particularly something they tout as 'news'. I for one would not call this first season successful in any stretch of the imagination. This also kind of reaffirms my point of KIC being the only website seeing through the fog to the ineptness of what's really going on.

And I'm sure the site I linked isn't the only one.

Sigh.

• Like 1

And I linked that above. In point of fact, the first year attendance is not strong. It did not meet projections.

One is also prodded to wonder how many of those nearly 600k visits were repeat visits by season pass holders. If each pass holder went three times (and many did go many, many more times than that), single day tickets could be 250k...or less.

• Like 2

I also love how the coaster-net "article" claims many had plans to redevelop Kentucky Kingdom. First, there was the Koch family with Bluegrass Boardwalk. Then there was this latest RFP. Total number of bids received: 1. Total number of responsive bids: 0. Only after long negotiations, and the Commonwealth allowing its real property to be used as surety was the Hart & Co. proposal accepted.

Many?

• Like 6

And for closing so early in the day...

Just remember, though, that those who claim that we, especially I, are too hard on the Kingdom think that we should not take its urban location into account as a negative....

And yet what was it we read here about why W Disney, nobody's fool, put Disneyland where it is? What was a major factor in Hard Rock Park's demise?

Excuse me. For shame. I forgot, re-reading Post 1 here, as edited, here I am applying knowledge and reality to Kentucky Kingdom again...when its supporters would rather we don their tax subsidized, state real estate backed rose colored glasses.

With all the pent up demand and the novelty of being in its first season newness, we are supposed to believe nearly 600,000 visits is strong attendance. That the five announced rides for 2015 are a $8 to $10 million investment...or a $30 million one, that Holiday World's new coaster is a plus for the Kingdom, that hot weather hurt 2014 attendance for what was primarily a water park, that the gaffes and publicity for 2014 were caused by young employees acting in near rebellious ways and never by Hart & Co's management team and on and on.

Pay no attention to this old industry observer. Have some more Kool-Aid....

• Like 16

I'm actually quite impressed with the "Old Kentucky Park" it held up a, what it seemed, to be a great season. Sure, there were kinks, and there were some of the oddest park policies I have ever witnessed, but the park actually carved itself a niche in the region. To add to that, maybe it is just because I have been spoiled with KI, WDW, and DW that made me feel out of place with their line policy. I could see a point to it, for money's sake, but at the same time, the guest could find favour in you actually letting him or her get in after 30 til close. Which, by the way, close should be when the park shuts down, not that the slides basically shut down 30 till.

Then again, it was the first year, this winter will bring about change, and the April will bring a new season with new thrills and attractions. Which, by the way, even though KK has some flukes, I will probably buy a season pass for 2015.

Still holding out for those new trains. I can imagine that an SLC would be greatly improved if you eliminate the headbanging.

Heck, take away the headbanging, I might prefer them over B&M Inverts. The twisted, compact layout of most SLCs makes for a ride that, in theory, SHOULD be a lot of fun,

Unfortunately, theory and practice are not always the same...

They may not have the old ones anymore though. I've seen photos of the trains from Twisted Twins in storage at another SIX property (I want to say St. Louis). If SIX took those with them, then why not the ones from T2 as well? Especially since there are a lot of SLCs in the SIX portfolio. Though I'm sure they wouldn't be against Erasing those purchases from their Mind.

Though I have no idea what new trains cost. If they weren't adding two brand new rides, I'd almost say it seems like it would be feasable with the $8 million figure. With two new rides and refurbishments on three others, though, I frankly don't even see how they could deliver the things they've ALREADY promised on that budget.

• Like 2

I just passed the park on the expressway and it appears that T3 is already being repainted in what looks to be the ride's original red color, or something very similar.

What portion of the ride was painted? It just seems to quick that the ride is already in the process of being repainted from Sunday imo. But then again, the winter is coming.

• Like 1

I just passed the park on the expressway and it appears that T3 is already being repainted in what looks to be the ride's original red color, or something very similar.

What portion of the ride was painted? It just seems to quick that the ride has already in the process of being repainted from Sunday imo. But then again, the winter is coming.

Definitely part of the lift and part of another element. I was on the Watterson in heavy traffic so I couldn't gawk, but the new paint was certainly enough to catch my eye.

***OK, after a little Google research I found some Courier Journal photographs from 9/24/14 that show T3 being "pressure washed" revealing some of the old red paint. If that's all it is then there is a lot of old red paint exposed. Sorry for any confusion!

• Like 4