Kentucky Kingdom

Hangman was also a prototype!

It's now at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom as Kong.

Move it to Kings Island, that would be hilarious!

I am personally hoping that Vekoma or someone retracks T3, that thing from some of the POVs I have seen was far too rough. Another thing is how odd of a drop that it is. No wonder it gets a max of 55! Should be an interesting credit nevertheless, hopefully not too painful.

• Like 2

A news dearth is probably not a good sign.

An election coming in November. If the news isn't good (and that's what I'm hearing murmurings of), look for it to be delayed until after the election. Which is a little odd, as Kentucky's STATE election, the one that could seal the fate of the Kingdom, is still more than a year away...in November 2015.

Concessions...concessions.

I'll have to ride T3 to find out what it's like, I suppose.

I'll ride any coaster once, no matter their reputation (assuming of course that their reputation doesn't involve frequent safety-related incidents). Including SLCs and Zamperla flyers. That said, there is currently only one coaster on my list of rides that I refuse to ever ride again, and Terp has explicitly stated that T2 was worse than that specific one...

I really hope the new train(s) can help... I'm going to go into it cautiously optimistic that they will, to some extent. They should at least eliminate the headbanging, which is one of the many unenjoyable aspects of an SLC. And for a guy whose favorite coaster is Vortex to say that he had an issue with headbanging, that says a lot about these infernal contraptions...

For what its worth, my list of rides that I refuse to ever ride again currently consists only of that one particular SLC, and all droppy rides that are not an S&S Space Shot.

• Like 3

Well, well, well....

The Fair Board expected to get $475,ooo in parking receipts this year. It won't. Buried in here:

http://www.wdrb.com/story/26750395/ky-lawmaker-makes-subpoena-threat-in-fair-board-arena-dispute

The cited reason? The less than 6oo,ooo attendance at Kentucky Kingdom. And revenue sharing (with the park). Carefully danced around? Attendance fell well short of expectations.

Next up: Hart asks Fair Board for more lease concessions to keep park open.

Stay tuned.

• Like 5

Two park goers files lawsuits against Kentucky Kingdom

http://www.wdrb.com/story/26774284/two-lawsuits-filed-alleging-untrained-staff-at-kentucky-kingdom-led-to-water-slide-injuries

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – A pair of lawsuits have been filed against Kentucky Kingdom alleging staff at Hurricane Bay is improperly trained and allowed the plaintiffs to use the wrong tube for the water slide they were on, causing them to fall out and hurt themselves.

The lawsuits were filed by attorney Hal Friedman on behalf of Brandon McClellan and Felicia Evans, who Friedman believes were on the ride together.

Both lawsuits claim staff at the water park instructed and/or allowed the plaintiffs to use the wrong tube for the slide they were on, which is what caused them to fall out of the tube and get hurt.

McClellan claims to have suffered a shoulder injury in the fall, while Evans claims to have suffered a head injury which causes her seizures.

Evans's lawsuit alleges staff members at the bottom of the slide were improperly trained on what to do in the event of an injury. When Evans reached the bottom of the slide, the lawsuit states she “received little or no assistance from Kentucky Kingdom employees, who appeared untrained and unclear regarding their obligations or responsibilities.”

The lawsuits ask for punitive damages and compensation for the plaintiffs in an amount to be determined based on the facts of the case.

Kentucky Kingdom sent the following statement:

We do not comment on pending litigation. For their own safety, we expect guests to follow all instructions relating to rider responsibilities. This includes the instructions given by Kentucky Kingdom's ride operators, pre-recorded audio instructions and signs posted at each attraction which detail the park's rules and regulations for that attraction.

• Like 2

I'll have to ride T3 to find out what it's like, I suppose.

I'll ride any coaster once, no matter their reputation (assuming of course that their reputation doesn't involve frequent safety-related incidents). Including SLCs and Zamperla flyers. That said, there is currently only one coaster on my list of rides that I refuse to ever ride again, and Terp has explicitly stated that T2 was worse than that specific one...

I really hope the new train(s) can help... I'm going to go into it cautiously optimistic that they will, to some extent. They should at least eliminate the headbanging, which is one of the many unenjoyable aspects of an SLC. And for a guy whose favorite coaster is Vortex to say that he had an issue with headbanging, that says a lot about these infernal contraptions...

For what its worth, my list of rides that I refuse to ever ride again currently consists only of that one particular SLC, and all droppy rides that are not an S&S Space Shot.

Different kind/manufacturer I know, but I wonder if it is any worse than the piece of garbage taxi coaster in Vegas.

• Like 1

* not a lawyer *

But if someone said hey this will be fine you will be okay..... Then I ride it and get hurt because it wasn't the appropriate gear for the ride......

Difference between getting hurt because of an accident and getting hurt due to (possible ) negligence.......

• Like 1

From the link above, Kentucky Kingdom's full statement is: "We do not comment on pending litigation. For their own safety, we expect guests to follow all instructions relating to rider responsibilities. This includes the instructions given by Kentucky Kingdom's ride operators, pre-recorded audio instructions and signs posted at each attraction which detail the park's rules and regulations for that attraction.

"As we know, there are always two sides to every story. Kentucky Kingdom strongly disputes Mr. McClellan and Ms. Evans account of the incident.

[Kentucky Kingdom] completely supports its staff of over 100 lifeguards who worked diligently this past summer to keep the water park safe and enjoyable for the almost 600,000 men, women and children who experienced it."'

I bolded the middle section because seriously, that is the statement they are going to make? Whoever is handling their PR needs to be let go, or in the very least, receive massive amounts of training and coaching. This summer has been a great lesson for college professors to use as real-life examples.

Also, I've been told there are three sides to every story: their story, your story, and the truth. It's not black or white but the truth is there somewhere in the middle.

• Like 7

And I ask incredulously, how is that not commenting on pending litigation?

It's as if they cut and pasted sections of the statement, not realizing the internal conflicts.

Also, the park as a whole did not get 6oo,ooo visits. Now we are supposed to believe that nearly 6oo,ooo unique visitors visited the water park? Does anyone proofread their stuff?

• Like 8

So to me something like this seems pretty cut and dry. Either the inner tubes were correct or they weren't. If they were not the recommended type (size, shape, inflation, etc) and someone got hurt......

Actually besides single and doubles are there different types? I have only seen the big inflatable doughnut type.... Unless that come in different sizes

• Like 1

Some of the slide complexes at KK have multiple types of tubes at the bottom, and different ones are required for different individual slides at that complex. For example, one slide might require yellow single or double tubes, while the one beside it might require green single tubes only.

• Like 3

As a more "typical vs enthusiast" type of guest, I wouldn't have any idea which tube goes to which slide. I would assume that the workers would tell me if my choice was the right one.

Sort of how I assume if I get injured, the workers will triage me correctly. Very similar to how I assume that I will be safe on a coaster when they check my restraints....

• Like 7

There are only two types of tubes in that park not counting the Tornado's double or quadruple tube. On Mt. Slide Hai there are yellow single tubes and green double tubes. The ONLY slide the green double tube is to be used on is the green open slide on the complex. Other than that every other slide is universal in the "correct tube" it can use excluding Tornado which requires the double or quad tube. So I'm doubting the "wrong tube" will hold water.

• Like 4