Kentucky Kingdom

And if that is your point, it isn't much of one.

By your definition and world view:

The Courier-Journal isn't biased?

Ed Hart himself isn't?

Governor Beshear?

Me, in an in person interview?

You?

ALL sources have a bias, often more than one.

We can't know what we don't know, nor often when we aren't being fair.

In your point of view, only unbiased sources could be used. And yet you have said that all sources are biased. A paradox?

Unbiased sources? There is NO such thing.

• Like 7

As I said in the last line of my debated post.

The forums are a great jumping off point.

Now if you want to let the biased opinions on these forums sway your opinion that is on you, but there is typically some well thought out interpreting by many on various park related topics.

• Like 4

Let me clarify what I was trying to do before in starting with this site for info. I agree that I was trying to use this thread as a 'jumping off point' to get that started. I hoped that I could get a consolidation of that by a few people here more knowledgeable than I am on the KK situation. I was up for a nice intelligent debate with some of my enthusiast friends who are still have the rose colored glasses on. However, I was short on sources. I trust the info from members here, but a lot of it was hearsay. The links I did find on this thread were either expired, or with Business Courier, sent to a archived server which I didn't want to pay money for.

I do agree that this year was...decent, and obviously they have a lot to improve upon, especially going into year 2 and beyond. 600K for attendance was certainly more than I expected. I can make sense of the political situation, but I was also hoping to get info on things like park operations, PR, etc. and how the GP may have perceived that which would also affect the park's future,especially due to the fact I don't live near KK, haven't seen ads here in Cincinnati (trust me, no one in Cincinnati knew about KK opening outside enthusiasts, we have gotten ads in the past, I remember the ones for Chang and Twisted Sisters/Twins), and never went to the park this year, thus I consider myself not to be in a position to make too many judgements, hence why I came here to try and pool that info and then make sense of it.

• Like 2

Hart said he believes the first season is a sign of success for the future because it was a shortened season and because the park marketed only in Louisville and Lexington. Revenue and attendance were hurt, he said, by winter weather that delayed the summer recess for schools.

Next year, Hart said, more than $1 million will be invested into marketing in secondary markets, such as Nashville and Indianapolis. The park frequently spent $2 million or $3 million a year in those markets when Hart previously owned it.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2014/09/25/kentucky-kingdom-to-expand-rides-hours-in-2015.html\

After reading this quote and thinking deeply, (deeply meaning more than just the words shown above in the quote) I feel as though it was the right decision. Kentucky Kingdom is no where near it's potential right now. It is going to take time for the park to get to its FULL capability again. As it gets closer to its potential, the park should advertise the park more to other metropolitan areas. You should know your park, you should know if it is good enough for outside consumers to want to come back year after year. Kentucky Kingdom was NOT that this year. That is simply why I believe it was the right decision. Once the park starts reopening attractions and bringing in marquee attractions, that is when you should start to advertise the park to outside markets.

• Like 6

^

Which once again begs the question, is the park advertising in out of state markets next year because it is ready or because it must?

I hope KK has an understanding of who they are competing against in these other markets once they start advertising in them. Kings Island, Holiday World, Dollywood and other local attractions are very much their competition.

• Like 2

I honestly didn't see any advertising in Indianapolis or the surrounding area. I can tell you I live on 67 in Indianapolis (South west side) and for the entire season we had two billboards touting Holiday World within 5 miles heading north to 465. They also were heavy with radio, tv, and restaurant deals (The typical: ask your server for discount tickets to HW, etc). The way KK ran their advertising this year I would've never known they were open, if I weren't an enthusiast. They dropped the ball with flooding the market within 6 hours of the "Grand Opening/Brand New Amusement Park" advertising campaign.

• Like 4

Ugh...,

1. If you are right, don't talk.

2. You win nothing by trying to make one of your guests look bad

3. Just because no one has been injured before doesn't me you can't get injured in the future.

4. Now we have heard the two individual sides, who has the "proof"

• Like 5

The park really just needs to keep their mouths shut (as is their policy, or so we're told) and be a little more professional about this. Mr. Hart's comments came off as abrasive and unprofessional to me, definitely not how the top park official should be speaking in my opinion. I'm guessing his attorney would rather he not be saying all this either.

Kentucky Kingdom: "We don't comment on pending litigation... That being said, these two are lying. Their friend came forward and told us they planned the whole thing. We have safety signs and warnings posted all over our water park. The inner tubes were safe and the guests in question were over the weight limit. But like we said, we don't comment on pending litigation."

• Like 8

If the lady got her season pass revoked for climbing a fence into a restricted area, that looks pretty suspect and surely the park kept written record of this happening. That certainly puts her story about the water slide in doubt. Plus one of her friends testifying that it is all a extortion ploy should put this to rest. If someone is legitimately hurt due to negligence that is one thing, but this sounds way fishy.

• Like 5

Oh my gosh here we got again, another fake injury, why do people just fake stuff to get to a park that has JUST reopened this year!

So, just like that, Mr. Hart is right and the claimants are wrong? No discovery, depositions, fact finding, testimony, negotiations, court action or proof is needed? Why?

Terp, who notes in passing that claims made in a lawsuit, by either side, tell only one side of a story.

• Like 6