Kentucky Kingdom

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes the oddest things from the oddest places.

Carnival rides.

That is all.

For now.

I've been thinking that about most of these new rides. Rather carnivalish. Certainly a departure from the original Vekoma and HUSS installations from the 90s.

Good news is, these new rides should pack up rather quickly! Hope I'm wrong.......

• Like 3

I'm not a marketing expert at all, but I'm struggling to understand how increased discounts is going to help them, especially given that Kroger is pretty much as common in Louisville as they are here in Cincinnati (a Google search shows at least 3 of them within 10 minutes of the fairgrounds). Maybe they're trying to make discount tickets easier to get for those who live further from Louisville, but even then, how hard is it to stop at a Kroger store on your way to the fairgrounds and get tickets? Are they really going to get that many people who are only attending the fair because they happened to see discount tickets while shopping at their favorite store? Even so, these aren't typically the kind of people who are going to spend a lot of money at the fair.

The $20-a-carload thing is a risky move. I can see how it might work to their advantage, but given the reputation of that neighborhood, I really don't think that's a good idea.

• Like 2

Seems they're trying to "fix" every possible problem without actually being aware of what the problem is. They should have started researching problems last year as soon as they got revenue/attendance numbers - not 5 months before this year's fair when you should be in the thick of planning things.

I'm also laughing at the whole "maybe we should increase how much we charge vendors" idea. There is absolutely no way that is a good plan, especially if the fair board makes any money off food and beverage purchases. Increasing prices following a down year will either scare vendors away or cause them to pass the costs on to consumers, at which point we're back to the "fair food is too expensive" scenario.

• Like 5