Kentucky Kingdom

Just a few notes.

I imagine the reason some rides are gone and some new ones have appeared this year is that KK is leasing or renting said flat rides.  Most of the ride installations have been carnival style rides that are not permanent.  

Also KK attracted somewhere between 500,000 and 599,999 guests last year or almost 600,000 per reports.  Their goal this year is only 650,000 in attendance.  Also to meet requirements with the Commonwealth KK must have a certain percentage of its guest from out of state.  I believe it was a third or something like that.  Also remember original attendance projections for the first year were over a million.  How expectations have fallen, then again KK doesn't want to miss their attendance goal again during a political year.

Hours and days of operation will make it a great challenge for KK to draw the numbers and type of crowd they want.  Location, Location, Location.

• Like 5

Also- a big part of the reason Kentucky Kingdom did get past 1,000,000 visitors the first time...they added this that year (1997)...

eogoes024s001is8o00000.jpg

A massive, world record-breaking B&M Roller Coaster...attendance went from 722,000 in 1996 to 1.1 million in 1997, a increase of nearly 400k visitors.

Wait a second, what kind of ride was Holiday World opening this year again...oh. Uh-Oh (for KK). If Holiday World gets the same ROI Kentucky Kingdom got for Chang (which would push Holiday World from 1.1 million to 1.5+ million visitors), it very well could really hurt Kentucky Kingdom as guests would go to Holiday World instead for Thunderbird. This would be ON TOP of the questionable PR, too...plus Kentucky Kingdom is at a price disadvantage versus Holiday World as previously stated in this thread (Parking is $8 more, and soda isn't free at KK, while ticket prices are the same)...and they need to attract a certain % of out-of-state guests, who will be more likely lured by the big shiny new rollercoaster at Holiday World rather than the refurbished one at Kentucky Kingdom.

Forget 1,000,000 in the near future- Kentucky Kingdom has to get its game up FAST to even hit the required 650,000 visitors in 2015, and do so with only a refurbished Vekoma SLC and some flat rides. At least in 2014 they had Lightning Run and multiple large waterslides- including a world record breaker- making their debut...

I could see Kentucky Kingdom doing a "hail mary" at some point in 2015 to try and reach 650,000 visitors this year. I would not even rule out something crazy like $20 tickets or BOGO Admission (2 people get in for the price of 1!).

• Like 11

Just a few notes.

I imagine the reason some rides are gone and some new ones have appeared this year is that KK is leasing or renting said flat rides.  Most of the ride installations have been carnival style rides that are not permanent.  

Also KK attracted somewhere between 500,000 and 599,999 guests last year or almost 600,000 per reports.  Their goal this year is only 650,000 in attendance.  Also to meet requirements with the Commonwealth KK must have a certain percentage of its guest from out of state.  I believe it was a third or something like that.  Also remember original attendance projections for the first year were over a million.  How expectations have fallen, then again KK doesn't want to miss their attendance goal again during a political year.

Hours and days of operation will make it a great challenge for KK to draw the numbers and type of crowd they want.  Location, Location, Location.

That does make sense that the missing rides were leased. I assumed they had been there from the Six Flags era. The last time the park operated I did not have a small child so I was not familiar with what rides were in the kiddie section. Does anyone here know for sure and care to share?

Just a few notes.

650,000 for attendance seems more reasonable. However, in the article that The Interpreter posted, it said "And it's on target toward its goal of soon entertaining over a million people each year..."  Maybe the wrong numbers were reported? I don't know. That confused me quite a bit as how feasible and realistic is that goal? 

• Like 2

^I imagine no one could have that much admiration for Ed Hart other than himself.   I think I see his ego leaking across the Ohio River.  

Thats not his ego leaking, thats the patrons that would have spent money at KK leaving the Bluegrass state for other amusement park adventures...

650,000 for attendance seems more reasonable. However, in the article that The Interpreter posted, it said "And it's on target toward its goal of soon entertaining over a million people each year..."  Maybe the wrong numbers were reported? I don't know. That confused me quite a bit as how feasible and realistic is that goal? 

Well 600,000 is closer to 1 Million than say 400,000 is...

For all thats said and done, Im happy that KK is at least opened again.  I would love for Americana/LeSourdesville Lake to reopen.  Even if it was with sketchy hours and a horrible owner.  At least for one more time down the mid-way....

But Im not sure how much longer it can survive its current mode.  It would make more sense, if it were to leave the fair grounds... but then again...

• Like 4

Flats and family rides will definitely drive attendance with locals who just want something fun to do on a weekend. But out of state visitors are more drawn to big new coasters or unique rides they can't ride at just about any closer park.

Seems like they'd have to build new coasters often to keep up with out of state attendance goals. But how much more can they really build on that small amount of land?

http://www.kentuckykingdom.com/experience/park-map/

This is the current park map. Assuming they survive this year, it looks like they're adding a new coaster for 2016. But what about after that?

• Like 2

When you have a goal, you got to have a plan. I am sure we will find out soon. 

• Like 3

When you have a goal, you got to have a plan. I am sure we will find out soon. 

Not really, I have a goal of winning the lotto, but I have no plan to purchase lotto tickets....

To increase 50K is an increase of just under 10% of last years reported numbers.  10% is a large increase.  Then again, if 100K bought a pass, thats really only asking 1/2 of that number to attend 1 more time. 

If you have 100K pass holders, and each of them visit on average 4 times (looking at an increase), then you have 400K people attending.  So the park is really asking for 250K new/1 time park goers.... That seems like a lot.  Especially for a park that, to be honest, doesnt offer much for people to travel a long distance to attend.  Maybe they are hoping to find a way to get pass goers to attend 7 times each....

• Like 5

Flats and family rides will definitely drive attendance with locals who just want something fun to do on a weekend. But out of state visitors are more drawn to big new coasters or unique rides they can't ride at just about any closer park.

To be fair, I can go just a handful of hours southeast of Holiday World and ride a different Wing coaster. According to some people that I know who attended Media Day at HW, a better Wing coaster, even. I can go just a few hours from Holiday World and ride a whole smattering of woodies as good as or better than any of theirs (IMO, I can get that at KK). 

From Kentucky Kingdom, how far away is the nearest HUSS Breakdance? The nearest full-circuit Vekoma SLC (hey, some people really like them)? The nearest Chance airtime machine? The nearest Dinn that is smooth enough for the general public to really enjoy it? The nearest (large) Ferris Wheel? The nearest HUSS Flying Dutchman? None of these are really flagship rides, but the park does have a very unique, diverse ride lineup. I really don't think the rides are the problem. I could be wrong, but for me personally, the rides are the ONLY thing that make me want to go to Kentucky Kingdom rather than Holiday World.

Heck, the rides are the reason I'm going to Hartland's opening day instead of Holiday World's tomorrow. Well, that and I don't like lines, and I have a strange feeling tomorrow will be one of the least busy opening days at any major amusement park ever... Though I do somewhat hope my prediction is wrong. I hope it's so incredibly crowded that I decide to leave and go to Holiday World instead, I just don't see it happening.

Honestly, if Lightning Run's crew has improved the 4 minute dispatch interval I was seeing last season, I'll consider that a small victory...

• Like 7

The nearest Dinns to KK, technically, are in HW.  Charles Dinn's daughter went on to start CCI, who designed Raven and Legend.  They went on to become Gravity Group, who designed Voyage. 

I also hear there's a pretty good Dinn coaster about just a bit northeast from KK.   ;)

Just notin'.  

• Like 8

jsus - try this: http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are?language=en

It sounds funny...but it doesn't hurt. Job hunting is not the most fun. I hire my team and see lots of "what to do" and "what not to do". Be genuine. Instead of saying that you are a team player, for example, give an example of a situation where you were a team player. Don't say negative things about a current/former employer - even if it's true. Do research about the company and ask questions! My favorite questions that I've been asked during interviews was not about the logistic of the job but things like, "What do you look for in a successful team member? You've said you liked being A, what was your favorite part of your job?". You'll find the right fit. Good luck! 

• Like 2

jsus - try this: http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are?language=en

It sounds funny...but it doesn't hurt. Job hunting is not the most fun. I hire my team and see lots of "what to do" and "what not to do". Be genuine. Instead of saying that you are a team player, for example, give an example of a situation where you were a team player. Don't say negative things about a current/former employer - even if it's true. Do research about the company and ask questions! My favorite questions that I've been asked during interviews was not about the logistic of the job but things like, "What do you look for in a successful team member? You've said you liked being A, what was your favorite part of your job?". You'll find the right fit. Good luck! 

Great advice!  When discussing specific work related activities (or school, depending on your situation), try to follow the STAR method: Situation, Task, Action, Results.  For example, if the interviewer states, "Tell me about how you handle conflict with a customer in your current job."  Respond with a specific situation, ("A customer was upset because he ordered his 3-way at Skyline without onions, but got extra onions").  Then explain what your task was with this customer: ("I saw that this was an opportunity to assist a customer become more loyal to Kings Island and Skyline.)  Next, respond with what specific actions you took: (I listened to the customer's concerns, allowed him to vent, saw that he got his order corrected, and offered him a free cheese coney for his trouble.")  Finally, talk about the results: ("He was so happy that his issue was resolved quickly that he stated he hopes I am always here each time he visits Skyline Chili on IS in KI.  I also got a recognized by Chef Nate because he stopped by Guest Services and shared his story.")

I can't tell you how many people I have interviewed and asked for specific situations and instead I get philosophies etc.  Follow the STAR!

• Like 6

Of the last 5 people I've hired, 4 were right out of college. People hiring (should) understand that you are not going to have the same experience as someone 10 years out. I don't know what your career path is but I would say think about your student activities, volunteer experiences, practicums, internships, and part time jobs. While they may not have given you specific job experience, they have given you experience that can relate such as working as part of a team, guest service, problem solving. That is still valuable experience.

Oh! And think through what could be common scenarios in your future line of work. How would you handle that if in that situation? We ask several scenario questions and the interviewee's answers are vital. One question sounds crazy but their initial reaction tells me how they will handle any surprising guest situation. 

Feel free to send me a message if you want some more interviewing information.

• Like 4

And I will not be entering the park. Apparently. Three clerks tried three separate times to process a credit card transaction. Apparently it was too difficult for them. When they asked for my credit card a FOURTH time, I declined. "Can you assure me I won't be charged?". "Well, it didn't work." Maybe.

I went to my car and got the parking receipt. Went to "Guest Relations." "We will get you a ticket." Nope. They wanted to try it again with the same people. I asked for a parking refund.

They called security.

Guest Relations.

REALLY?

I'm on my way to Taco Tico.

Good Luck, Kentucky Kingdom.

You are going to need it.

• Like 12