Kentucky Kingdom

I saw that Raising Canes in West Chester when I was down that way earlier this week. I didn't realize they weren't open yet. These boards are the only place I had ever heard of the restaurant, but from what I've heard I'm interested in trying them out.

I personally didn't like In-N-Out. I am more interested in fries than burgers, and their fries didn't impress me. To hijack this thread more, how are the fries at Raising Canes? :)

They are good crispy small crinkle cut fries.

And there's Texas Toast, and coleslaw, and Cane's sauce...ahhh. Sorry, I have a bit of an emotional connection to Raising Cane's. :) I relate to it as comfort food for really crazy stressful days. 

• Like 6

What would it take to make Kentucky Kingdom work?  The competition is fierce.  I lived in Kentucky until 1996 and never went before I moved.  I went once when I moved back here (I moved back in '07, went to KK in 2009) and was not impressed.  I chalked that up to SIX.  I have to admit that I do not care for SIX after having this one experience, so I was hoping that the "new" KK would be an improvement.  I know it's very complicated in that it lies on the fair board's property.  Didn't SIX own about 20 acres?  What happened to this real estate?  I really want this park to work.  KI will always have my business, but it would be nice to have a park to just drive to for the day, or stay in the Ville and do both it and HW. 

• Like 2

Carowinds calls March through Memorial Day "Preseason" with it's employees.....

Some things in the park granted they are smaller things aren't always ready for Opening Weekend. I will note that our Skytower is still not open.

Carolina Skytower has been non operational for 10 months since June 2014.

• Like 1

I'm waiting until early mid summer to go to KK. I have hope in the place, and it still has those kick start attractions. It has somewhat of a great amt of attractions and it is definitely a day trip for me. KK has a lot of credits that I need and many that I have been craving to get on.

• Like 1

Carowinds calls March through Memorial Day "Preseason" with it's employees.....

Some things in the park granted they are smaller things aren't always ready for Opening Weekend. I will note that our Skytower is still not open.

Carolina Skytower has been non operational for 10 months since June 2014.

Similarly, SR&R missed most of last year. A few attractions down for unforeseen reasons is one thing and is to be expected. To have pretty much all of your new attractions not even be assembled yet and another 5 or 6 not operational... That's a bigger problem.
  • Like 7

Where is our favorite minion to respond to this thread or the Trip Report thread and tell us all how silly and ignorant we are.  Then again successful parks typically don't turn away paying customers who are willing to pay full price at the gate when they are in desperate need of cash flow and out of state visitors.  But some might say I'm ignorant for using the words successful in a thread discussing Kentucky Kingdom.

The place is a joke, will continue to be a joke, and will close its doors once again in the not to distant future.  Harts ego will continue to grow over the fact that out of the goodness of his heart he took taxpayers money and tried to reopen the Kingdom, but ultimately the people let him down.  We must not consider the facts that Hart has no real stake in the success of the park only profit to gain and the taxpayers have everything to loose.  I hope the residents of the Commonwealth are smart enough to see this and vote out those responsible for allowing this deal to ever happen. 

• Like 6

Cash flow.

Cash flow.

Cash flow.

And yet they sent $140+ away from their gate Saturday due to someone's incredible, egotistical pride.

Perhaps I should show up at his little talk and coffee with Louisville's business leaders. I might even see Bruce Lunsford and Ed Glasscock.

I've been following this and I just want to clarify.   So he (or someone else at KK) KNEW you were coming and/or knew you were there and intentionally turned you away??  Why??

• Like 1

ALL two of the ticket sales people. And a supervisor who quickly showed up. Then when I went to Guest Relations, Security magically appears.

Even a blind pig gets a few truffles, if not guest dollars.

I'm not doubting it at all.  Was just curious as to why that might happen.  In poor taste regardless. 

• Like 2

Having read Terp's posts here over the past 10 years (yes, I've been here that long), the story is believable to me. He's got many many friends in the amusement industry (and apparently at least one enemy as well). Why anyone would basically throw out a paying guest to avoid a negative review is beyond me, but Hart has a track record of making poor decisions.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

• Like 8

What did security say?

I had asked for a parking refund, at the least. "Sir, we have nothing to do with the parking lot. If you have been here less than 30 minutes, the toll booth will give you a refund. Either way, you are leaving."

The main gate parking was 'interesting.' "You'll have to go to Gate 4, Lane 4 to get a refund. Too bad you won't get there in time."

Honest.

Sad.

• Like 6

Question:

To a normal family visiting Kentucky Kingdom, just for a fun day at the park, is it actually that bad? Or does the hate for KK stem from Hart? Because I feel like people who know nothing about the history of the place would still enjoy it...despite it being pretty expensive. 

• Like 2

Wow. That's just pathetic to put it lightly. If all of this truly was to avoid a bad review, then that failed miserably. Most bad experiences in the park that may have been posted here pale in comparison to this. I'm guessing it was mainly done out of spite. The hostility that this park shows towards anyone who would dare criticize (no matter how constructive) their pathetic business practices continues to amaze me.

Any curiosity that may have drove me to visit the park is gone. I don't have any interest in spending my money at a place that operates like the Kingdom does. Especially when that money could be better spent at far better and more FUN parks. Good luck Kentucky Kingdom, you'll be needing it!

• Like 8

Question:

To a normal family visiting Kentucky Kingdom, just for a fun day at the park, is it actually that bad? Or does the hate for KK stem from Hart? Because I feel like people who know nothing about the history of the place would still enjoy it...despite it being pretty expensive. 

I'm sure that the average family would have a fine day at the amusement park.

If you family includes someone with mobility impairments? An LGBT friend or loved one? A breastfeeding mother? Then you're probably bound to think differently after the events of last season.

Sure, most of the "drama" that we're touching on is probably "behind the scenes." But it all matters...

Every guest who pays full price to get in only to find it's a retconned "preview weekend" with all the new rides missing will remember.

Those who want to pay their way in but aren't allowed will remember. They'll remember the way they were treated, too.

Guests are told two or more different prices, and some are doubtlessly unclear on which they're expected to pay at a Kroger versus online versus at the gate, when those offers expire, etc., and they'll remember that.

Every guest who saw Hart's henchman appear on a local newscast with a printed laminate screen capture of a website and a poorly-prepared speech about new rides will remember.

Some guests will visit the website, find it woefully dated in its design and navigation, and decide the park isn't worth their drive from Ohio because the place markets itself as if it were a simple carnival. And those guests are gone.

In a time where first impressions can make or break the park, they've stumbled over and over and over and - curiously - most of their foibles are in the same area: public relations. If they would've noticed that early on and fixed it, we might not have to wonder about the future of the park. Instead, the problems continue. And that's to say nothing of the politics, taxes, and backstage problems. 

Glad that that region has a park back? Of course. I just wish we were seeing the park do better to ensure it stays that way.

• Like 11

And families who had visited the park in its past life may not find it particularly enjoyable even without knowing the behind-the-scenes stuff. In my visits, I have heard many comments along the lines of, "I miss Chang.", "Greezed Lightnin' was better than Lightning Run.", " Why isn't Twisted Twins open?" I think the locals are getting to a point where the rose-colored glasses of having their park back are coming off and they're starting to realize that while it may be "back", it isn't really the same park it used to be.

• Like 4