Kentucky Kingdom

Just the other day I was working on August KY/OH trip plans, debating whether or not to go to KK.

I don't think we will at this point. I'm sure we'd have a perfectly fine trip but I dunno if I want to give the out of state attendance to a company with such shady practices. Also, I'm not sure we'd be missing that much. CP, KI, and Waldameer ought to be enough.

Such a shame this is how Kentucky Kingdom turned out.

• Like 5

Interestingly, I just got off the phone with my bank. There were apparently ZERO attempted transactions from Kentucky Kingdom. No declines. No approvals.

So what at you are telling me is that the credit card reader was having a hard time reading your card and your overreacting. I had the same thing happen at Six Flags Over Georgia on opening day last year. Went to pay for lunch card would not read. Lucky I had cash and called to make sure the card was okay. Turns out it was and tried it later on it worked in another spot. I had great time after that. 

• Like 1

I think I'm going to go to KK this year, probably make a detour while returning from HW. Last time I was down there was during the SIX era. My memories of it is all a blur tho. My expectations are not going to be high considering it's a much smaller park trying to get the wheels turning again. Now I'm weighing my options tho if I should get a season pass or a single day ticket. The date I will be going would be August 3rd if that means anything.

• Like 3

Well if we are playing the conspiracy game here we have to look at all possibilities.

Terp may have not even went to the park on Saturday and fabricated the whole story to drive the tens of people on this site who follow this thread away from the park and thus sticking it straight into the Hart of KK.

Or you know it could have been aliens running the ticket booth.

Also it could have been a gang of angry feminists who took over the ticket booths and drove away customers because of KK lack of support for breast feeding mothers.

• Like 7

Well if we are playing the conspiracy game here we have to look at all possibilities.

Terp may have not even went to the park on Saturday and fabricated the whole story to drive the tens of people on this site who follow this thread away from the park and thus sticking it straight into the Hart of KK.

Or you know it could have been aliens running the ticket booth.

Also it could have been a gang of angry feminists who took over the ticket booths and drove away customers because of KK lack of support for breast feeding mothers.

I always go with aliens...or Templars. It's always one of the two. 

• Like 9

The only thing that would entice me to go back this year would be to ride Thunder Run again before it's gone. Lightning Run was good. The ride is surprising for a smaller coaster. The bad thing for me was the seat design. There was a squarish block that dug into my back while riding which was uncomfortable at times. I have no intention on riding T3. I rode T2 18 years ago and still remember how horrible it was. Some things you just don't forget.

• Like 5

I really don't understand why Swampwater Jack's hasn't been made accessible. CONSUMERS can purchase an automatic door opener for ~$1500. I'd imagine wholesale (which would really probably be the best way to go considering that there are quite a few buildings on the property) is cheaper per unit. Well within even Hart's annual improvements budget. On the other hand, I'd imagine that the penalties for that sort of ADA violation would be considerably pricier.

I also wonder why they do not at very least, leave the doors propped. Most other buildings in the park are left with their doors propped open during business hours. I don't know if this qualifies as a reasonable accommodation under the ADA, but at least it's access of some sort. Why this one notable exception? Did that building lack wheelchair access when SIX ran the park, too? For that matter, was it even a public building at that time?

Also, just in case it's necessary: This is not legal advice. The author of this post is not a lawyer in Ohio, Kentucky or any other United State.

• Like 7

Swampwater Jack's was named by Six Flags. Access was, sadly, the same.

It's not just door openers. It's the bumpy macadam path to the place. I assume that's still there. Imagine that in a wheelchair.

Perhaps a disabled Kentucky legislator or city alderperson should try to visit Swampwater Jack's.

I'm stunned that apparently no one has yet filed a formal complaint with the United States Department of Justice.

There is no legal advice contained herein. The author is not engaged in the private practice of law in the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Kentucky or any United State. Contact a competent attorney in the relevant jurisdiction should you have, or think you may have, a legal problem. This is a disclaimer.

• Like 4

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that their excuse is true. I don't buy it because I trust Terp considerably more than I trust Hart's cronies, but hear me out.

On a busy day, one would think that several people would have payment methods fail to scan. The fact that they are able to pinpoint the specific incident means that none of the other people attending had any trouble, which IMHO probably indicates that they are dealing with a laughably small sample size...

• Like 12

So, we are supposed to believe I came in from Cincinnati, which I did, my credit card wouldn't scan, so I voluntarily left the park of my own volition. What was Security doing with me? Saying a fond Kentucky "Howdy?"

Please.

That's insulting. To put it mildly.

And it took two different clerks and a supervisor to scan a credit card once?

I'm sorry. That dog don't hunt.

"Either way, you are leaving the park,"

• Like 8

One thing that stands out to me is that Kentucky Kingdom knew exactly what event Logan was asking about on Facebook.  Out of the roughly 2,000 reported people that visited the park that day this single transaction was enough to stick out and be reported to those that answer said questions on Facebook?  

That I find very interesting.

Maybe someone should ask them on Facebook why there is still no handicap access to Swampwater Jacks?

• Like 11

I love how they're able to deny the story, but somehow the story of one guest whose credit card didn't scan properly was such a big event on their opening weekend that the marketing dept. was informed of it and was ready to comment.

I guess it's easy to keep track of those types of things when only "hundreds" of people enjoyed the park over the weekend.

• Like 13