Kentucky Kingdom

Colossus wasn't a CCI.

Built to a price, difficult and expensive to maintain...especially those constructed on steel frames.

Is that implying that the steel frames cost more to maintain? Hurricane at Myrtle Beach Pavilion was a CCI hybrid and it was one of my least favorite coasters. On a related note, rcdb lists Gwazi was removed, I thought the structure was still standing?

IF the ride is indeed being redone, the company doing the work does. Have to remember that RMC did the rehab work on Thunder Run. Wouldn't surprise me if they looked at TT and will do the work IF it happens.

Seeing as how this park has been run so far, nothing would surprise me.  I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, but as far as I know, RMC has never worked on a steel frame coaster before.

• Like 2

I'm actually from Kentucky, and have never gone to Kentucky Kingdom before in my life. Is it honestly worth it? I had looked at the rides listed on the website, and wasn't too impressed just because I felt there were too many flat rides for my taste. 

I haven't read the full 155 pages in this topic, but just glancing at the first page and the last page-- it seems like there's been a very negative response to the park. I really would like to see the park succeed. I feel KY really needs a great park, but I always wondered if KY Kingdom was just too close to King's Island and Holiday World to be really successful.

• Like 2

He takes safety so seriously that he's going to have each ride inspected every week, you betcha.  Maybe he should send a scout team up the road a bit to see KI inspecting their rides daily!

Having a ride inspected weekly isn't even a choice on Roller Coaster Tycoon. Why in the world would that be appropriate in real life?

• Like 4

He takes safety so seriously that he's going to have each ride inspected every week, you betcha.  Maybe he should send a scout team up the road a bit to see KI inspecting their rides daily!

Having a ride inspected weekly isn't even a choice on Roller Coaster Tycoon. Why in the world would that be appropriate in real life?

Please tell me you're being sarcastic with that remark.  All parks (except KK as we're finding out) inspects all their rides each day.  Yes, all the coasters have the entire length of track walked and checked.  RCT isn't something to infer information on how real parks operate.

You should really read the rest of the thread to get more info on KK's situation.  Many people want the park to succeed.  Its their own actions that warrant worry.  They continually do things that set the park up for failure, at the expense of the Commonwealth's taxpayers no less.  Government has no business running amusement parks.  

• Like 4

Please tell me you're being sarcastic with that remark.  All parks (except KK as we're finding out) inspects all their rides each day.  Yes, all the coasters have the entire length of track walked and checked.  RCT isn't something to infer information on how real parks operate.

You should really read the rest of the thread to get more info on KK's situation.  Many people want the park to succeed.  Its their own actions that warrant worry.  They continually do things that set the park up for failure, at the expense of the Commonwealth's taxpayers no less.  Government has no business running amusement parks.  

I was  completely joking. I know that RCT isn't really how parks operate.  :)

I'm in KY, and haven't been able to make it to KK since the park reopened. I would love to see the park succeed, because I really would like to have a closer theme park. However I've always wondered why the park isn't advertised much in my area. hmm...

• Like 4

...If you aren't near a border, limited funding and a crying need for out of state visitors in order to qualify for tax subsidies. If you are near Cincinnati, a conscious decision by Ed Hart, apparently so as to not irritate Cedar Fair/Kings Island...

May 30.

It's coming.

Wonder who might try to go again? With....

• Like 6

If they are indeed only inspecting the rides on a weekly basis the answer is simple.

No, the park isn't worth visiting.

Funny you should mention that. This morning Kings Island posted a video on Instagram of PEANUTS 500 going through its morning test runs with the caption:

"All rides at Kings Island, including PEANUTS 500, go through a series of operational, mechanical and electrical tests each morning before the park opens."

I thought it was hilarious given the recent conversation on these boards about Kentucky Kingdom's practice of "weekly" inspections.

Source: KingsIslandPR on Instagram

• Like 11

^

That is awesome!  Kentucky Kingdom may not consider Kings Island competition, but I am sure Kings Island views Kentucky Kingdom as competition.  Rightfully so, they are competing for the same regional crowd and KI does not want to loose any potential guests to KK.  That is considered good business, aware of your competition, especially in your marketplace.

• Like 9

Couldnt have said it better... I would even think that to be competitive, you have to consider your same chain as competition. 

I know when my dad ran restaurants, he wasnt concerned with how the other 5 same restaurants in a 10 mile radius were doing.  He was concerned on how to make his store bigger and better.  His District manager cared more about that.

When he became a DM he was concerned about all 20 of his restaurants and how to make them better than the next district's stores... 

So I could totally see KI management seeing CP as competition.  You want them to do well, but you want to pull people to see you.  So you make sure you are XYZ better than they are, etc.....

KK not actively poking the bear of KI and CF is a problem for them, not the other way around...

Generally speaking, drop rides are popular, but I'm not sure after what happened there that they should have installed one. At least, not the timing of it. There are countless other flats that they could have chosen.

I have never been to KK, and from all the negative publicity for the park via the accident plus the government involvement that is a huge mess, I have no intention of visiting there. I might go another year once the dust settles from all the political power plays.

I've thought about it myself. Take trips down to Louisville on occasion but have never been to KK. And now that you can get a 2 day ticket for basically $30.00, even if it isn't too great still be some fun and not cost too much. Plus with it's future up in the air, might not have many other chances

No. Most remember it happened at Kentucky Kingdom.

Then...the park puts in a new drop ride.

Separately:

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/blog/morning_call/2015/05/kentucky-kingdom-opening-this-weekend-with-several.html

Whatever, fly that proud Six Flags banner high in the sky. ;) It's all good. Folks in Kentucky know that it was SIX FLAGS Kentucky Kingdom. I remember the constant running of those dreadful dancing old guy commercials every time I came home to visit. Regardless of regime change, I still won't go to one. Kind of silly on my part but I'm silly like that. I'm missing out on some great rides.

My feelings on Disney parks are changing so maybe I will finally go to a Six Flags park some time. Great Adventure still intrigues me.