Kentucky Kingdom

I will admit I'm starting to kind of change my mind a bit on whether to go or not.  I know I've pretty much grounded myself in not wanting to support the park, but I'm also a bit intrigued by this park as well.  I do see that despite the upper management issues, they do alright (in the most basic interpretation of the word 'alright').  

I may contemplate a visit by the end of the summer out of sheer curiosity.  Also, Terp's praising of Thunder Run is starting to become an itch I need to scratch. ;)

In my limited "coaster enthusiast" experience, I will say that Thunder Run is a great ride.   I am in no way a small man, but the airtime in the back at least made me feel almost like I was standing.  Lightning Run is a great ride as well.

I daydreamed that I dreamed that I was invited on an exclusive test run of T3 Sunday.  Being that I just rode Banshee last week, I have to say that T3>Banshee*.  Of course I kid about this, but since I didn't hurl in the Banshee station, I may actually ride T3 when it opens.

*I did not ride T3, it was a joke.

Edit to ensure that any person in political power in the Commonwealth of Kentucky would be able to understand this statement is a fable and in no way happened at any time.

Edited by jtro223
  • Like 1

I wouldn't even joke about something like that.

Parks do NOT find it funny, nor would the state. Allowing the public to ride before a ride is licensed is a severe offense...and given who runs that department, I am quite certain they'd relish catching Hart and his Democrat pals doing that. It could literally end Kentucky Kingdom.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine recently visited the Kingdom on Saturday and took a pic of some flying debris from Thunder Run.  Apparently that must have been missed since the ride was last inspected a week ago, per Ed Hart's earlier comments.

• Like 2

I will admit I'm starting to kind of change my mind a bit on whether to go or not.  I know I've pretty much grounded myself in not wanting to support the park, but I'm also a bit intrigued by this park as well.  I do see that despite the upper management issues, they do alright (in the most basic interpretation of the word 'alright').  

I may contemplate a visit by the end of the summer out of sheer curiosity.  Also, Terp's praising of Thunder Run is starting to become an itch I need to scratch. ;)

In my limited "coaster enthusiast" experience, I will say that Thunder Run is a great ride.   I am in no way a small man, but the airtime in the back at least made me feel almost like I was standing.  Lightning Run is a great ride as well.

That's good because I'm a smaller built guy and with me letting up the lapbar on PTC trains up a few comfortable notches, I get some rather lovely air time.  

I am dreading the prospect of making T3 my first SLC though, new trains or not...

• Like 2

By the by, SLC is how many folks abbreviate Suspended Looping Coaster, which is what Vekoma's official name is for their inverted coasters. Here's the link to the SLC page on Vekoma's website.

Vekoma's the only one who refers to their inverted coasters as Suspended Looping Coasters, so "SLC" is a title that's usually only applied to Vekoma's inverted coasters in the same style as T3. See also Thunderhawk at Michigan's Adventure, Mind Eraser at Six Flags America, and so on. :) Invertigo (and the handful of copies of it that exist in the world) are called, coincidentally enough, a Vekoma Invertigo. Curiously enough, it seems to have disappeared from Vekoma's website. I wonder if the apparent issues with Stinger at Dorney Park have anything to do with that.

• Like 1

But, fear not. Invertigo will still provide all of the signature... sensations... of a typical Vekoma SLC, just with the benefit of it being over fairly quickly.

I kid, sort of. I've ridden SLCs that were entirely tolerable (Mind Eraser at Darien Lake) and that were outlandishly awful (such as Flight Deck at Canada's Wonderland, which is literally the only coaster on my "absolutely never again" list).

• Like 4

Going this weekend and I gotta say-- I'm not particularly excited for it other than the two coasters. I think the rest of the rides look kind of lame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not going until A. Twisted Twins renovation gets noticeably started or B. T3 opens. and by noticeable, I don't mean just a few sections of track ripped up

Going this weekend and I gotta say-- I'm not particularly excited for it other than the two coasters. I think the rest of the rides look kind of lame.

You might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

SkyCatcher is like WindSeeker, but actually a lot scarier.

Breakdance is a relatively rare type of ride, well worth riding!

Their scooters are identical to every other set of Larsons (including the ones at KI) but usually have a relatively short line.

The Flying Dutchman is one of the original 1972 rides from Kings Island (yes, that specific one) and is worth riding on that basis alone.

Raging Rapids is no White Water Canyon, but it's a solid rapids ride.

Mile High Falls is decent. Its got a straight drop as opposed to the double dip you see on Congo Falls, which makes for a somewhat different experience.

If you have time for a waterpark visit, there are some great attractions there, too. Deluge is a must!

The two (major) coasters, as it happens, rank in my top 5 woodies and top 5 steel respectively.

• Like 7

You might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

SkyCatcher is like WindSeeker, but actually a lot scarier.

Breakdance is a relatively rare type of ride, well worth riding!

Their scooters are identical to every other set of Larsons (including the ones at KI) but usually have a relatively short line.

The Flying Dutchman is one of the original 1972 rides from Kings Island (yes, that specific one) and is worth riding on that basis alone.

Raging Rapids is no White Water Canyon, but it's a solid rapids ride.

Mile High Falls is decent. Its got a straight drop as opposed to the double dip you see on Congo Falls, which makes for a somewhat different experience.

If you have time for a waterpark visit, there are some great attractions there, too. Deluge is a must!

The two (major) coasters, as it happens, rank in my top 5 woodies and top 5 steel respectively.

I have some motion sickness issues on rides that spin, so a lot of the flat rides won't be for me. I planned on riding the two water rides, the two coasters, the Ferris wheel, and the Flying Dutchman but I'm not sure if that will be enough to fill up 6 hours. I hope I am surprised! I would like a closer theme park, but I'm paying as much for a ticket as I did Kings Island but riding much less and I won't be in the park for as long as KI because my group for some reason isn't going until 4 pm. That's not the park's fault, but it is frustrating.

• Like 1

I visited the park again today for a bit with my partner. Did Lightning Run (2 train operations) and Thunder Run. Both a lot of fun as usual. I too witnessed T3 testing.

I passed Mr. Hart on the path right at the intersection of wave pool/Giant Wheel/bridge to other side of park. Just as last time, black pants, black polo (Ralph Lauren), black hat and light sunglasses. He made eye contact and smiled. Once again glad to see him walking the park on a weekend showing interest.

• Like 6