Kentucky Kingdom

They just updated it.... the new ride is Storm Chaser and will cost a WHOPPING 15 MILLION DOLLARS.

http://www.wlky.com/entertainment/kentucky-kingdom-to-add-new-roller-coaster/34251070

Note on the release page that Hart (for what it's worth) did say that normally, said coaster would cost $15M, but savings are being realized by reusing some of the TT structure.  It wasn't noted how much the savings really are, but knowing Hart, he'd make a savings of a dollar sound enormous.

• Like 5

Well, while the coaster itself looks like it'll be awesome, I am a bit stunned the reveal video was so cheaply made. No Limits 1 and it seemed to run at 15FPS!?!? Wow, they really cut the budget for the announcement...thus I can say that video is probably not doing this ride justice.

I'm also a bit suprised it's just a single-track RMC, as I was expecting something like Twisted Colossos and it to use both lift hills but it looks like it's only using one. At least it has a decent track length though- you seem to get a decently long ride here.

And the name, while cool, seems to keep going with a Storm Theme following Thunder and Lightning Run, making me wonder what will be next should KK get to the point where they add another coaster...if they can get to said point.

EDIT: Turns out it was actually No Limits 2. My bad.

• Like 6

I like the name. It does keep the storm theme going, plus it could also be a shout back to the old Star Chaser coaster too. It also makes the "Storm the Kingdom" ACE event name sound clever in retrospect. Reminded me a bit of "Camp Rou" at Cedar Point last year for Coaster Camp Out. 

• Like 7

It's better they let her go...Can you imagine them trying to duel them as slow as they are at dispatching trains there...It looks like a fantastic ride though. It would be cool if they some worked in the Lola and Stella names in the station or maybe on the new trains. That would be a fitting tribute. 

• Like 2

And the name, while cool, seems to keep going with a Storm Theme following Thunder and Lightning Run, making me wonder what will be next should KK get to the point where they add another coaster...if they can get to said point.

Hm... Lightning Run, Thunder Run, Tornado, Hurricane Bay, Storm Chaser...

Maybe next is Hailstorm? Tsunami? :P I love the storm theme.

• Like 6

I'm pretty sure it actually is NoLimits 2, based on the pictures. The track and supports are NOT that sharply detailed in NL1. It's still not a great video, especially with the low framerate.

Am I bummed that one of a handful of dueling CCI's will essentially be demolished? Yeah. I love CCI rides. I was just as bummed when Medusa was redone, even though I also never rode that one. I kinda wished that Twisted Twins would have been reimagined (or at least retracked) by The Gravity Group. (No, that wouldn't have been as easily marketed, but I also didn't expect a budget as large as has been quoted for the ride they'll be getting.)

That being said... Honestly, I think Storm Chaser looks great. It'll be enough to get me back into Kentucky Kingdom at least once next year. Even though I disagree with Kentucky Kingdom on some topics like many here, that doesn't change the fact that I'll have an RMC within a day's driving distance from home. I submit that anyone who finds this ride disappointing will change their tune once they ride it. RMC does good rides. (They're just not allowed to touch Boss, as far as I'm concerned. :P )

For what it's worth: I'm relatively certain that I've read somewhere that Ride Centerline designs the profile (i.e., the forces/layout) of RMC's rides. Ride Centerline also did the profile of Lightning Run, which features elements I've loved from Iron Rattler and New Texas Giant. Assuming RC is still doing that for RMC, and it looks like they are, I think we're in for a treat.

• Like 9

On the dispatch times. No idea how they're doing this year as I no longer work for or have I visited that place. I do recall that when myself and other higher up employees ran Lightning Run during the fair last year, it seemed we were ready to go before the ride itself was 7/10 times as it would not allow a dispatch until the other train was entering the transfer area. But I do doubt the average crew is doing anywhere near that.

• Like 3

Ehh, sorry for double post but I kinda felt this one needed its own. So here's a local news story from my neck of the woods (Central Indiana) on this:

http://www.wthr.com/story/29588940/new-storm-chaser-to-recreate-wooden-coaster-feel-at-kentucky-kingdom

"Will recreate wood coaster feel"...oh boy. Are some people in for a surprise if they have never ridden an RMC before because this should be NOTHING like a wooden coaster...

And looking at the Facebook comments for it...ehh, wow, Ed Hart should NOT read these because they get pretty nasty. Then again I've seen nasty comments about nearly every other park so perhaps he shouldn't be too worried, but if he is trying to get people from here (Indiana) to come these aren't exactly the responses I think he'd want.

• Like 2

No Limits themselves just came out via Facebook and confirmed the reveal video as being made with No Limits 2. Well, I was wrong (I thought it was No Limits 1)- I guess the low frame rate threw me off.

Link to their FB...

https://www.facebook.com/nolimits.coaster?fref=nf

Some of the comments on that post are... interesting. Top comment: "I wish they would've contacted someone from the community to make the rendering. Their's is crappy and half-arsed."

Indeed it is: low frame rate, incomplete supports (according to a reply to that comment), and rendered in a completely empty field with no surroundings. I'm surprised the people behind No Limits actually took credit for the video being made with their software, considering how low quality the video is.

• Like 9

It's better they let her go...Can you imagine them trying to duel theme as slow as they are at dispatching trains there

Not to mention that dueling trains on a single-track coaster requires running two trains at all times. :P

I've read trip reports that have said Iron Colossus sometimes runs with a single train.  Its not impossible.  

• Like 1

It's better they let her go...Can you imagine them trying to duel theme as slow as they are at dispatching trains there

Not to mention that dueling trains on a single-track coaster requires running two trains at all times. :P

I've read trip reports that have said Iron Colossus sometimes runs with a single train.  Its not impossible.  

But then it's not dueling, which was my entire point.

(A)bort, [R]etry, (I)gnore? ;)

• Like 1

Just left the park was going to have my last ride be LR front seat was standing in line for about 20mins was in the station to. Turns out a lady hit her head and was bleeding. Blood was on the seat, ride closed down. How do you hit your head and BLEED on LR!!!???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My money is on her putting her head down and closing her eyes out of fear and then cracking it on the restraint. My daughter has done this on kiddie coasters and I would imagine if some one did the same thing on a full size coaster, especially one with the ejector air that LR has, it would be quite easy to hit your head hard enough to bleed. And when the head bleeds, it bleeds a lot. Please ride in the proper position folks. 

• Like 8

I've been thinking about my experience at the park last Saturday. Am I being too critical? I'm not sure but I'm willing to give the park another chance. Would I recommend it to my friends and family? At this point, no.

My biggest complaint is that the park is dirty. I don't think I've seen a park with so much trash everywhere - in the queue and the fenced off areas next the queue. And I didn't see anyone picking up trash like at other parks. It saddens me that so many people just throw their trash on the ground or over fences. However, when there is one trash can in an entire queue, many people aren't patient enough to hold on to their trash with the hope of a trash can in the station.

Not all the ride ops had fans or ways to cool down. The poor girl at the Flying Dutchman looked like she was about to pass out. I asked if she was okay and she said she was just tired.

I don't understand the park running one train for everything. I waited an hour and a half for T3 (not worth the wait) in a line that at any other park would have been 20 minutes because of the trains. The ride ops can only move so fast when you are running one train...that then has to stop at each brake.

The Sea Lion show format and style was a disappointment and does a disservice to the presenters and animals.

I got several mosquito bites when I was back by Skycatcher for less than 10 minutes. Do parks spray for mosquitos? I haven't had such issues at other parks and since I'm such a magnet for them it made me wonder.

Security is a very present at the park and both security and ride ops are very forward in talking to line jumpers or others causing issues.

The Caraousel was fascinating and fun to look at all the details.

The ULine bins for rider gear feels very temporary.

I don't want to see any park fail. However, it doesn't seem as though some people going to KK really care - between the trash and graffiti - about the park. And that saddens me.

• Like 8