Kentucky Kingdom

...it was last year.

And that's the ONLY time it is.

If it's 9.95 for admission now (if bought at Kroger), which I doubt, this would be a sign of utter desperation and not making goals.

No...it's DIRECT competition against the carnival operator during the fair. Probably supposedly only if bought before the fair starts. Last year, though, sales at Kroger reportedly continued even as the fair ran.

And still, fewer than 600,000 visited Kentucky Kingdom last year. Less than 50,000 more than during Six Flags last year there.

As for why pay the carnival operator more, especially Monday through Friday? The carnival doesn't not open until 4.

• Like 1

^Serious question- Is this type of article typical of what IndyStar comes out with or is Kentucky Kingdom just giving them a whole lot of incentive just to put that article up?  What news publication would green light that garbage to publish?

Trust me, put NOTHING past Gannett Publishing, I have worked for them before.

EDIT:  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  i just read the article* and, may I ask, Terpy, how you even got through it without knocking yourself out from too much face-palming, or falling out of Your chair laughing???  Just, wow!!

*Bird cage lining

• Like 4

For someone who should be more focused on park operations, Ed Hart sure does a lot of writing of sloppy articles for the interwebs.  I think he's written what is essentially the same article in different words a dozen times by now.  He may become king of paraphrasing.  

• Like 5

For those who read carefully and interpolate, there's interesting information that could dramatically affect Kentucky Kingdom here:

http://www.farmanddairy.com/news/kentucky-state-officials-shake-up-naile-leadership/275835.html

January 2016.

Which comes after November 2015.

Which is key to the Kingdom's prospects.

As has been said here all along.

January 2016.

The General Assembly.

It's not JUST a livestock show.

• Like 4

I live on the south side of Indy, and I still have yet to see a single ad on TV or billboard. I see a decent amount of Holiday World ads though, and the first time I prevalently saw KK ads were on my way to the park about holidays. Ironically, the billboards all had T2 on them, not T3. And they are claiming it is Indy's "new place to play", and that it is the closest to Indy. Like I said I live on the south side, so it should be closest to me, but KI is still closer by a good 10 minutes and I feel I get a lot more at KI

• Like 2

The coupon ad in the Indystar has turned into a complete joke.  Its been revised to say that it is now valid through the end of September, but includes so many caveats about admission prices during various times (including the fair), it's a wonder people don't show up asking for Hart to explain the pricing.  

• Like 3

The "Guest Relations" at the park, from my personal experience, is abominable. They will doubtless annoy and irk the many who will show up expecting a deal other than what the park is willing to give them. At least the Fair Board will get its parking fee, which the Kingdom will not refund to them.

Then, perhaps, a park employee will belittle them.

Sound familiar?

• Like 4

The Indystar deal is now touting $19.95 KK admission during the fair, with an extra $10.00 for fair admission.  Which just so happens to equal $29.95, or the cost of a simple 2 day pass for KK if you live in Indiana.  Given that the Indiana State Fair just opened several days ago and runs until Aug 23, I'm guessing most Indy folks will be skipping the KY fair if they choose to venture down to Louisville.  Or, you can (if you can read through all of the fine print) still buy a $29.95 2 day pass, valid through yesterday and as of today, only weekends through Sept (except park buyout days in September and also weather permitting.  Oh and no guarantee on the waterpark being open. ) What a confusing morass.

• Like 4

Isn't it in the best interests of both Kentucky Kingdom and the KY State Fair that both organizations have a good working relationship? Or at least want the other to succeed and meet their goals or plan?

I can see why the State Fair wouldn't want Kentucky Kingdom to be open during their run - parking was crazy when I was there and I can only imagine what it looks like when both are open. On the KK side, would you want your guests to have to fight fair traffic and parking in order to visit your park? There is also the huge matter of competing interest with food and rides. Upset a vendor and the fair might not see them again. Vendors talk with each other...which can greatly help or hurt your ability to book a vendor for future events. Just so many questions...

• Like 4

The Fair Board wanted a small, permanent park. The deal offered by the Board appeared to be favorable--with failure being a near impossibility. It failed. Hart and a group of investors came in, turned the place around and sold out to the company that would become Six Flags.

At first, Six Flags put massive investment in the place. Then it turned its attentions elsewhere. The tragic Superman: Tower of Power incident occurred. Six Flags asked for lease concessions (less favorable than Hart & Company have now). The Fair Board flatly refused.

Six Flags went bankrupt and asked the court for authority to, among other actions, reject the lease. The Court approved.

Hart and his investors attempted to cut a deal with the Fair Board involving a large investment of state funds. That went nowhere. The Kochs of Indiana (some of them) cut a deal. Then backed out.

The Fair Board advertised again, ONLY Hart and Company made a proposal. A non-responsive one. Negotiations and a lease followed.

• Like 6

The following press release was in effect written by the Fair Board.

* Those who think the Fair Board is on good terms with the Kingdom, take note WHERE and how it is first mentioned.

* Weekdays, the Kingdom will only be open five hours and doesn't open til 5 PM.

* Weekends, nine hours, and doesn't open til 1.

* 9.95 discount tickets at Kroger throughout the entire fair.

* 19.95 at the gate. Are you kidding?

Both in addition to fair admission and parking.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/events/statefair/2015/08/14/kentucky-state-fair-changes/31703985/

This tells you exactly where the Kingdom stands with the Fair and Fair Board.

Did I mention the Waterpark will be closed?

• Like 2

The following press release was in effect written by the Fair Board.

* Those who think the Fair Board is on good terms with the Kingdom, take note WHERE and how it is first mentioned.

* Weekdays, the Kingdom will only be open five hours and doesn't open til 5 PM.

* Weekends, nine hours, and doesn't open til 1.

* 9.95 discount tickets at Kroger throughout the entire fair.

* 19.95 at the gate. Are you kidding?

Both in addition to fair admission and parking.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/events/statefair/2015/08/14/kentucky-state-fair-changes/31703985/

This tells you exactly where the Kingdom stands with the Fair and Fair Board.

Did I mention the Waterpark will be closed?

And this is new news?

• Like 2

I finally got to ride T3 yesterday. Would you all think I am crazy if I said I actually really enjoyed it? No it is not B&M smooth but the new train without the headbanging restraints really changed the experience for the better. Thumbs up. Storm Chaser is coming along as well. All of the old track is gone as well as most of the structure that is not going to be re-used. RIP Stella. 

• Like 7

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Aaron88stang.   I never rode it as T2, so when I rode it as T3, I had no basis of comparison.  As I stated earlier, I really enjoyed it.  The only rough spot for me was the turn back into the station.

I'm so glad that Thunderbird was available to break me of my fear of going upside down.  With the help of antiemetics, I have been able to ride it, T3, Banshee, Vortex and Firehawk.  I don't think I'll do Firehawk again though--hate backwards.

• Like 1