Kentucky Kingdom

Not that I am privy to any inside information, but my conjecture is AIG was seeking to protect the interest it has in the Biblical presentation of the Ark.  Once hired, it might be difficult to fire someone who espouses a contrary view.  For example, if an evolutionist is hired, s/he may float the guests on a different boat.  I would see the "faith statement" as a litmus test for new hires.

Kentucky is an "at will" state.

An employer can fire an employee for absolutely no reason whatsoever. "I don't want you anymore" is a valid reason, absent a contract saying otherwise.

Easier said than done.  Having employed people in another at-will state, I can say from experience that costly and unnecessary lawsuits can be filed against a business when someone is fired for documented reasons, much less for "I don't want you anymore" reasons.

• Like 1

Pricing integrity thrown to the wind:

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/entertainment/events/2015/09/02/kentucky-kingdoms-labor-day-give-way-weekend/71563246/

Sept 5-7

BOGO Admission: the get one good same day or rest of season.

Free unlimited soft drinks.

On a holiday weekend.

Did someone miss admission targets AGAIN?

• Like 1

Saturday there was little wait on the dry side of the park. It was hot as Hades so the water park was packed. Storms rolled in about supper time so we grabbed a bite to eat and headed out. I don't know if they ever re-opened the rides. Hurricane Bay is by far the big draw for the park at this point. It probably always will be to some extent even as they add more rides.   

• Like 3

According to Oldschool75 at 11:19 AM EDT here:

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/29795-current-wait-times/page-44#entry696448

Kentucky Kingdom had "very little wait" Sunday.

With free unlimited soft drinks, glorious weather, and bring a friend day.

Not good news. At all.

And on the same Sunday that KI appeared to be packed to the gills. Hmmm.

And this is with slightly more expensive deals at KI ($1 soft drinks vs. free soft drinks)...

Also, I was searching to find info on if KK's bring a friend day was bring a friend free or not (as KI's was/is not), and I saw an ad for Disney in a advert box that said "Searching for Kentucky Kingdom?"  :lol: I kid you not...

• Like 1

Maybe it would be better for all involved if another carnival operator was found that could bring something unique that could draw people through the gates rather than forcing KK to shutdown its biggest draw (which would also bring people through the the fair's gate) The State Fair midway is not what used to be.  There used to be rides there that you did not see at smaller county fairs. Now it is more or less a big county fair with two of every ride. 

• Like 3

Not really. Since Kentucky Kingdom has been offering $9.95 advance purchase at Kroger unlimited rides during the fair, no carnival operator is going to bring their best rides to the fair. During the time the Kingdom was closed, operators were unwilling to take on the risk that the Kingdom would reopen and compete with it.

There are many reasons the Fair Board simply can't get a better carnival, but most of them include Kentucky Kingdom.

• Like 4

If the carnival operator is unwilling to bring their best stuff, they can boo hoo all they want. It's not like the rides at the Kingdom are a secret. If there is already going to be a Larson Drop Tower at KK, why bring 2 more? Bring something different. If the Kingdom has a Giant Wheel, don't bring your less than giant wheel (how about bring one of those awesome double decker ones they used to have) Give people something different to spend their money on. Bring stuff to complement, not compete. 

• Like 3

There are fewer carnival operators than there are fairs that want them. Consolidation has hit the carnival business bigtime. The fact of the matter is operators now decide what they are willing to bid on and bring, venues are lucky in many cases to get ANY bidder. When the current Fair contract is up, it would not surprise me a bit if NO carnival operator bid on the Kentucky State Fair.

Add to all this that the Kentucky Fair is now AFTER most schools are back in session.

The Kentucky State Fair has many problems, and the Kingdom being open isn't helping.

• Like 4

Mile High Falls "Glass" Shatters:

http://m.wave3.com/wave/db_336805/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=JboQdHnI

And where the thunder is PR to say it isn't glass?

Sigh.

You gotta be kidding me:

http://m.14news.com/14news/pm_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=od%3A1N3Et1Ny

Just when I think the PR staff couldn't possibly be any less competent.

• Like 3