Kentucky Kingdom

Copied below is an article from the Indy Star (via the Courier-Journal) about KK's second season.  The article mentions that the uptick in attendance came mainly from the Nashville, Indy and Lexington markets.  What is doesn't mention is the obvious reason people likely came from those markets (hint, it wasn't because of the food).

http://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/2015/10/01/big-changes-pay-off-kentucky-kingdom/73141696/

• Like 2

I would assume non-season pass revenue would be a great thing.  For example, I paid $60 for my pass and went 6 times.  Someone else may pay $40 for a day pass, enjoy the park and go back once or twice more.  They also pay full fare for F&B and merchandise. 

Add in the incentives offered to folks who live outside of Kentucky (the newspaper/online coupons) and more people visit the park.

I'm sorry to be in the minority here, but I think it's a great small park and think it has a bright future.  Only time will tell.

Copied below is an article from the Indy Star (via the Courier-Journal) about KK's second season.  The article mentions that the uptick in attendance came mainly from the Nashville, Indy and Lexington markets.  What is doesn't mention is the obvious reason people likely came from those markets (hint, it wasn't because of the food).

http://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/2015/10/01/big-changes-pay-off-kentucky-kingdom/73141696/

The great news out of this article is that KK will be opening for the 2016 season. As far as food goes it's probably on par with KK's competitor in Mason Ohio.

A great small park? Sure.

If it had such a bright future, then why did only Hart & Co. bid on the place then only with state backed financing and tax incentives?

As I have stated ad nauseam, KK will not be a KI.  But it is a nice, small alternative.  With the constraints of the (non) fair board and the lack of land, they can only do so much.  The history of the park is well documented.

Small parks can make money.  Ed Hart and his partners are businessmen/women with proven track records.  I am sure they saw an opportunity to make money-either by managing the park or building it to sell.  I have no idea which of these goals they have and it really is none of my business.

They were also taking advantage of incentives and financing opportunities that are available to any business entity who wants to buy the rights to manage the park.  As documented earlier in this thread, the Koch family was also offered these opportunities. 

• Like 1

I agree that it is great news that KK will return for 2016. 

I found KK's F&B offerings a bit above KI's.  Staff were friendly, food quality was good, and the pricing is much more affordable at KK.  My bad experience was at the Italian Place near the entrance, everything was prepared and sitting under a heat lamp and looked terrible and then Swamp Water Jack's was the same.  However, I asked for fresh food to be made and it was, with a smile.

I also liked the $1.00 drinks, without having to carry around a stupid cup. 

However, a member of this board did not have a good experience with the food.  I guess things are relative.

The great news out of this article is that KK will be opening for the 2016 season. As far as food goes it's probably on par with KK's competitor in Mason Ohio.

• Like 1

At least they let you in.

That the park chose to bar entry to a poster here (and one of its employee/posters here then belittled the refused would be customer for coming to the park from the District of Columbia on what the park belatedly chose to call a preview weekend) speaks volumes. When another poster here asked Guest Relations about the incident, the park at first denied it happened while simultaneously defending its actions.

That incident caused the park no fewer than four subsequent admissions--and that from a coveted out of state guest.

Attendance up when some are offered two days for less than $30? Gee, what a surprise.

• Like 4

And that is unfortunate.  Had you been able to experience the park, you might have a different experience.

If you are in the area in 2016, I will buy you a ticket at Kroger and we can spend a day there.  (it has to be a weekday, I work weekends!). 

By having a pre-purchased ticket, that will force the hand.

The invitation is extended.  Maybe we could go to Kings Island as well.

• Like 8

That sounds like a plan.  Just realize the spinning rides (like Shake Rattle and Roll at Kings Island) I cannot do.

And I want to clarify:  I am not attempting to force YOUR hand, it is the park's hand. 

Also, if you attempt actions that will eject a person (line jumping, camera on ride etc) you are responsible for your actions.  (I know you won't do such things!)  If it is a bias against you, for whatever reason, I most certainly will witness and testify.

• Like 3

They had two security guards demand I leave the park--after they claimed my credit card was rejected. I contacted my bank. There had been no attempt made to charge my card.

Never doubted this, but what do you do in the industry and why would someone at KK dislike you? Is it really all about posts on a silly message board?

Again, not doubting you, but feel there is more to this story than is being said here.

Count me in as a third, I'll walk through that gate with you, too!

• Like 6

This message board, and quite a few of its messages, is far from silly.

I doubt that The Trustees of Conneaut Lake Park are amused with me, either. Sometimes, rose colored glasses are preferred to a realistic view. I don't do that.

And you won't find me in Southern Indiana, yet I made a special trip this summer to Alabama--for tea, conversation and advice.

I am, at this point, an industry observer and am listed by certain industry sources and regarded as a long time consultant--nothing more.

And no, there is no more to that story, at least on my end.

Note that there was a time that I had eerily similar experiences at Carowinds, but only while a certain son was in charge. I'm sure that was only a coincidence. Never before then and certainly not since.

I'm just astounded anyone at that park thought barring access (and turning down money) was a good idea.

Anyway, it sent me to Taco Tico--always a good thing. True that.

• Like 10

Well, let me correct that statement. I've been visiting this website and other earlier iterations for a long time. This message board isn't silly, but the idea that one expressing their opinion about a park's operations would cause them to be denied entry - THAT is silly.

Again, I never doubted your story or your industry connections. This is just really a wild story. Someone came from D.C. to pay to enter your park and you have such a bone to pick you refuse entry. That'll never make sense. I guess Mr. Hart takes any form of criticism very personally!

Taco Tico? I live in Lou and am not familiar. I'll have to look into that!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...