Kentucky Kingdom

The park put up a pretty nifty video on the Facebook page today.  I'm on too much of a Fury 325 high to say much more than that!

Off topic but I think Carowinds is extremely overrated, Fury is great as its my profile pic but still

• Like 1

Of course, they will just paint over the word "T3" and replace it with "Landscaping".... the park doing their part, recycling ya know.   ;)

why not put a piece of paper of the T3 part with Landscaping written on it  :D

• Like 3

Formerly being in the green industry, I know that landscape is often the last step in the construction process.  Then, it takes a while to fill in.  One of the worst mistakes commercial and residential folks do is overlandscape for a good first impression, only to have to rip and replace a few years down the road (ie, tract housing with McMansions.) 

Heck, even with a huge budget for Fury 325, the landscape is sorely lacking at Carowinds--grass was very thin, sparse shrubbery etc.  But, my first ride on the coaster, on my way down the first drop, I noticed plenty of ballled/burlapped large trees qued up for planting.

• Like 8

You couldnt be more right about that!  I can think of numerous times when the landscapers didnt consult us before doing finish work, and then having to come re-finish the asme areas after we trenched in feeder cables to an emergency generator building or for perimeter lighting.

• Like 6

I will say that something Kentucky Kingdom does and does it well is landscaping. Those people work very hard year round to keep that place looking nice. They added some much needed life back at Mile High Falls and I have full confidence they will work their magic on Storm Chaser too, just give them time

• Like 11

I took my folks to Louisville today and we visited my uncle in the hospital (he's waiting for a heart transplant).  Drove by Storm Chaser afterwards...unfortunately, they were not testing.

On the Crittenden Dr. side, the landscaping that was done was ornamental grass with pine straw mulch.  Looking good!

• Like 4

Wow I didn't remember Lola being that... Boring. Glad to see what they've done with it. I guess the thrill was the whole "race". Something I do remember though is those horrible brakes that were similar to being in a minor car accident.

Lola was not boring.

When it opened, it was one of the very best roller coasters in the country.

That's one of several reasons that five of us rode it more than 100 times in a single day and that I visited Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom 33 times conversion year while living more than three hours away.

Boring? Blasphemy.

I don't even want to think about how that was almost two decades ago.

• Like 5

It most certainly did.

It was largely a Dennis McNulty design. I loved his coasters with a passion. Strong negative g's, great pacing, wild rides. Not at all rampy.

Stella had an AMAZING first drop. Especially in the back seat...

Lola front left, Stella back right. That's where Terp was oft found.

• Like 6

Me, too.

When that ride was at Six Flags Over Georgia, it ran even better. And the themeing there was among the best ever. Jungle swamp, Christmas lights, jungle music.

I loved Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, and I loved Kentucky Kingdom: The Thrill Park.

It had such potential--but location, the Fair Board, and lack of capital investment post 2000 all helped do it in.

Did I mention Swampwater Jack's incredible strawberry shortcake its opening year? Or the best shaved ice anywhere served in an upside down sombrero hat shaped clear plastic thingy?

• Like 8

Perhaps I should rephrase Terp. Lola was not boring and was in fact in my opinion the more favorable of the two sides. When I was younger it seemed like it pulled off a lot more than the video portrays. It may just be the video but it seemed much less aggressive than I remember it and that's where the boring connotation came into mind but that's probably just because it's a video.

• Like 4

Personally, I've found POV videos with smaller FOVs don't translate speed very well as more current POVs that have the luxury of camera technology improvements.. (wide angle lens) and not being mounted also hinders your ability to gauge a coaster's speed.

Also, you ARE allowed to have different opinions on a ride lol

• Like 4

A little bit of a cross thread here, but after leaving Louisville, we went to eat at Bob Evans in Simpsoville.

We had a server who couldn't have been 16 years old.  He looked like Bobby Brady in the Brandy Bunch episode where Bobby was the hall monitor, went to rescue a cat in a vacant house, dirtied his suit, tried to wash it and filled the Brady house with suds.

Anyway, he was an awesome server!

This is what the food service department needs at our dear Kings Island.

• Like 4