Kentucky Kingdom

I have family in Louisville, and the places I have been seem tame.  But recently, while visiting my uncle in the hospital, I have seen freeway signs littered with graffiti, trash, and neglect on main freeways. (The Hibachi grill right off I-64 past Blankenbaker is closed and neglected).

I shouldn't gloat too much--a teenager just shot and killed another teenager in cold blood last week in a barn just a few miles from my farm.

The world gets stranger by the minute.

• Like 5

There has been a change in state government. Drastic cutbacks are being seen and felt in state services. The Kingdom is surrounded by state property, where services are provided by the state.

Even before that change, state funds were very limited.

Interesting times lie ahead.

And Storm Chaser looks totally awesome. It should draw many, many visitors to the Kingdom. Hopefully, they let them in, show them a good, safe, fun time and get them to spend lots of money. And come back.

• Like 13

Taking from the Kentucky Kingdom Facebook page, I would conjecture Storm Chaser has been cleared to operate for the general public.  The post was about the Education in Motion day and the first family to ride Storm Chaser.  Congratulations to Kentucky Kingdom!

• Like 5

Kentucky Kingdom recently privately opened for robotics teams attending the Vex Robotics World Championships. My school was lucky enough to have a robotics team that attended. (I am on the team)

I was able to ride Storm Chaser twice and I have to say, the initial twisted drop and overbank turns are stunning! I wish Cedar Fair would give some older coasters the RMC Iron Horse treatment.

• Like 7

Kentucky Kingdom recently privately opened for robotics teams attending the Vex Robotics World Championships. My school was lucky enough to have a robotics team that attended. (I am on the team)

I was able to ride Storm Chaser twice and I have to say, the initial twisted drop and overbank turns are stunning! I wish Cedar Fair would give some older coasters the RMC Iron Horse treatment.

There are people who strongly agree with you, others, strongly against the RMC Iron Horse to iconic classic wooden coasters at Cedar Fair park locations. (but then again, you have to be "ThatGuy" :P .)

"If it works, keep it!"

• Like 7

There are people who strongly agree with you, others, strongly against the RMC Iron Horse to iconic classic wooden coasters at Cedar Fair park locations. (but then again, you have to be "ThatGuy" :P .)

"If it works, keep it!"

I definitely do not want The Beast or The Racer to receive the Iron Horse Treatment, as those rides are so iconic that they should be preserved in their original state.

Hurler, on the other hand..

• Like 4

There are people who strongly agree with you, others, strongly against the RMC Iron Horse to iconic classic wooden coasters at Cedar Fair park locations. (but then again, you have to be "ThatGuy" :P .)

"If it works, keep it!"

I definitely do not want The Beast or The Racer to receive the Iron Horse Treatment, as those rides are so iconic that they should be preserved in their original state.

Hurler, on the other hand..

I don't think they CAN even get the Iron Horse Treatment
  • Like 2

The Beast is obviously a legendary landmark in the Warren County area, so there'd be negative backlash from the public. The ride clocks very good ridership as well.

The Racer is also a landmark coaster in the Warren County area. It is also painted with lead based paint, which would cause an issue unless the paint is replaced/the coaster is repainted. The coaster clocks in good ridership as well (the high capacity gives it shorter lines, creating the illusion it is unpopular). It clocked in more riders than The Beast last season, according to ride counts by the park.

Hurler would make a cool RMC coaster, though.

• Like 1

On a side note, T3 seemed to be very rough, especially compared to other inverted coasters. However, I have heard from many that other Vekoma SLCs are even more rattling. Is this true?

T3 is bearable with the new restraints, Vekoma SLCs are not smooth rides so yes, on a side note when it was T2 I hear it was the worst SLC  

• Like 3

FedEx just commented on the plane photo on Instagram, asking if they could post it on there account. Of course I said yes!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Awesome Vortex! Ah the power of social media. So many people underestimate the waves it can generate.  :)

• Like 7

"The addition of many new plantings in an ongoing horticulture effort throughout the park.  More than 100 species of perennials and ornamental grasses, along with many annuals and specimen of trees all have been labeled.  Each label has a barcode that can be scanned with a smart phone.  Visitors can then be linked to a website, where they will find photos of the plant and information about it.  They then have the information to buy the plant at a retailer."--
http://www.courier-j...-2016/83638128/

This makes me very happy. My first visit eleven months ago, I was very impressed with the effort the park has taken with the landscape design and plant tags.  Glad to see that is continuing and the barcode was added so I will be able to have more information about plants I don't have a knowledge of.  Glad to see the park is doing a good thing for us plantaholics.

• Like 8

On a serious note, The Interpreter, what is it about Swampwater Jack's?  The "bumpy" entrance is not the only entrance, and there are doors that wheelchairs can easily access.

(Note, this is not a inflammatory question, just trying to understand the situation at this particular location.)

• Like 1

Who said it was just Swampwater Jack's?

I seem to recall people in wheelchairs complaining vehemently about how the park chose to get them to the back of the park. A procedure that changed numerous times over the summer.

As for Swampwater Jack's, how does a person who needs assistance getting in a door summon those inside?

I wonder what the determining factor is for certain establishments to be subject to ADA regulations?

I was at Krispy Kreme a few weeks ago, and the doors were incredibly heavy and only one would actually open. There was no button to push to open them automatically. A person in a wheelchair would never be able to pull them open on their own. And it was the only customer entrance.

Is it the size of the company? The number of patrons they attract? Or is this just a violation that hasn't been caught yet?