Kentucky Kingdom

I'm not suggesting KI should be resting or doing nothing but if you are talking about greater Cincinnati/Dayton/Columbus-Or most of Ohio people, I would gather that a majority don't know/care that KK is open and probably forget about HW. Most people in the state stay true to the 2 parks they know and love (KI or CP) while a a good number miss GL.

If Anything KI's only competition from HW and KK are from the guests in that area who know about those parks. Unless/until HW or KK do an extensive media blitz in the Cincy/Ohio area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm not suggesting KI should be resting or doing nothing but if you are talking about greater Cincinnati/Dayton/Columbus-Or most of Ohio people, I would gather that a majority don't know/care that KK is open and probably forget about HW. Most people in the state stay true to the 2 parks they know and love (KI or CP) while a a good number miss GL.

If Anything KI's only competition from HW and KK are from the guests in that area who know about those parks. Unless/until HW or KK do an extensive media blitz in the Cincy/Ohio area

Based off of the number I have gathered both KK and HW have a combined attendance right around 2 million people last year. That is around the total attendance of Carowinds last year. You can say people have forgotten about HW or KK but the numbers say otherwise.

I will agree and say that KI is on a completely different level than KK and HW. That is mainly due to KI belonging to a international theme park chain. Both HW and KK are independent parks. Both KK and HW will likely never truly challenge KI for top dog in the tri-state area, but 2 million visitors a year is a very sizeable chunk of the theme park market. To say that people have forgotten about HW and KK is a stretch at best.

• Like 7

Based off of the number I have gathered both KK and HW have a combined attendance right around 2 million people last year. That is around the total attendance of Carowinds last year. You can say people have forgotten about HW or KK but the numbers say otherwise.

I will agree and say that KI is on a completely different level than KK and HW. That is mainly due to KI belonging to a international theme park chain. Both HW and KK are independent parks. Both KK and HW will likely never truly challenge KI for top dog in the tri-state area, but 2 million visitors a year is a very sizeable chunk of the theme park market. To say that people have forgotten about HW and KK is a stretch at best.

The peeps in Ohio, not people in the the parks backyards. Please go to Zanesville or Stow Ohio, check out in Batavia, or Athens and ask them if they know KK or HW is open or exists. That was my point.

It would be like asking people in Columbus about Strickers Grove. Many (not enthusiast) don't know if it exists. That is all not a slam on the park.

• Like 7

I would hope some of the citizens of Batavia and surrounding area know that HW exists as they just created Thunderbird for them about 20 months ago!

Joncars05, who likes to kid around from time to time.

I know what you are saying about central and northern Ohio not making the trip to KK or HW. But HW and KK are drawing major numbers from KI territory west and south of Ohio. People may know of KI but they will visit less or not at all due to visits to HW and KK. Cedar Fair has taken notice and will try to stay ahead of the curve. They have already shown that ability by having a very successful opening weekend. The competition will be interesting to see as it seems KK has exceeded the total of it's 3 year plan of investing in park, HW seems to be invested in park and ride improvements, and KI seems to be the 2nd or 3rd park on Cedar Fair's priority list. The next couple of years should be interesting to watch and see how each park adjusts in the growing battle of attracting patrons to their respective parks.

• Like 8

I think we are agreeing on somethings and my original message was a washed in garbeldygook.

Agree: HW and KK are for sure pulling serious numbers in the areas around their parks and most likely has caused KI and CF to Take notice.

Gobeldygookness: Outside of those areas both parks do not heavily invest in advertising to raise awareness of the park especially in areas such as Ohio that has 2 big parks. To raise this awareness you need a major media blitz to put KK or HW into the mindset of the average joe or Jane smith. Because right now, neither notice what the park is really doing

• Like 5

Storm Chaser is amazing! If your considering KK, Just do it!

(Sorry for the double post)

Edit: Park closed for rain, they said they did not have enough time to inspect the rides. We were sitting in the train at the time. For what I know, Storm Chaser and Lightning Run were the only ones that got cleared for operation when the park closed. So we only got 1 ride on SC but it was great! We were waiting for are back seat ride.

• Like 5

Storm Chaser is indeed awesome. My favorite RMC? Not quite. Goliath is definitely better in some ways. But, for a park of KK's size, Storm Chaser is a spectacular addition. No complaints from me at all.

T3 finally has a second train, I don't know if that had been mentioned yet. It was tremendously helpful to the ride's capacity and throughput.

The Angry Birds movie in the motion theater is decent. HUGE improvement over the Wizard of Oz, but not quite as good as the Rio movie that they had in 2014.

• Like 5

Vortex Lover, I was also In the park today. They closed the rides because of the high winds from the severe storm that passed through. If it was just rain they would have reopened. It was fun today though

• Like 2

I love watching a crowded midway be cleared by an incoming storm, as long as it doesn't stick around all day.

Or close the park haha

In response to FoF I was thinking it was something around that subject, could not hear the PA system in SC station

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

From what I heard, the winds exceeded the operational limits of the rides, so in order to reopen the park, each individual ride would have to be re-inspected. And being it was already 6 they wouldn't have had time to do it.

• Like 5

From what I heard, the winds exceeded the operational limits of the rides, so in order to reopen the park, each individual ride would have to be re-inspected.

...which is quite the change of tune from the park that last year (?) claimed rides were inspected weekly.

• Like 1

I used to work at the park. When they said that I think they meant a separate weekly inspection, which is more intense and has more components checked vs the daily inspections. Each ride is inspected daily and must be signed off by a technition before it opens to the public each day. Then there is the weekly inspection that requires more than just checking basic components for example, Thunder Run would have its entire support structure checked weekly. While on the daily inspection it may be a track walk, chain, and train inspection.

• Like 8

I have yet to see any ads in the paper touting discounted admission to KK for residents of IN, OH and TN.  I did however, see a billboard promoting KK  2 day tickets for $29.99, but with the added incentives of free parking and free drinks.

I just began noticing the 2016 version of the KK ads in the paper late last week.  Nothing about geographic restrictions this year-simply says $29.99 for both parks for 2 separate days with free drinks included. 

• Like 2

The peeps in Ohio, not people in the the parks backyards. Please go to Zanesville or Stow Ohio, check out in Batavia, or Athens and ask them if they know KK or HW is open or exists. That was my point.

It would be like asking people in Columbus about Strickers Grove. Many (not enthusiast) don't know if it exists. That is all not a slam on the park.

Every time I'm at KI, I see plates from both Kentucky and Indiana (as well as many others).  Given the location that Ki sits, that is not surprising.  KI likely is not to worried about losing visitors from Zanesville, Stow, Batavia or Athens that annually attend the park, however patrons from Indianapolis, Lexington, Louisville, etc.. that live close enough to attend the park multiple times a season... that is the threat those two parks present to KI.

• Like 2

I finally got to ride Stormchaser last Saturday. What a fantastic coaster! The airtime on the 2nd hill is nothing short of amazing! It keeps it's speed up throughout with a little slow down near the end, but it's paced perfectly! Loved the first drop too! I'll say once again, I'd love to see a coaster like this at KI, whether it's RMC or GCI.

This was my first visit ever to Kentucky Kingdom (I always past it on my way to Holiday World so many times), so it was Stormchaser that finally convinced me to check the park out. I was very pleasantly surprised. The park was clean with lots of shade in the back section, ride ops/employees were very friendly and mentioned how happy they were to see us from Cincy. The ride selection was great, especially Lightning Run...neither me or my ten year old was expecting that first drop! Wow, just wow does that coaster haul with a ton of airtime at the end. Also, at last, and had I known this I would have went before, I was able to get real snaps on a set of flyers again! That made my day complete! Got passes this year, so we will make a point to visit as much as possible this summer.

• Like 11

I have a few questions concerning the neighborhood around KK and how to approach it.  Should I be hiding valuables inside my car?  Also, if I choose to go on one of their 9 pm closings, should I be leaving prior to that?

• Like 1

Just because a park is in a better area does not mean it's less likely to have something stolen. I would not take anything of value in any park especially if it means leaving it in a bin. I would also put "valuables" in the trunk prior to reaching any park property and not placing it there after arrival if possible.

I have never had issues at the park, but it's been years since i have been there. 9pm is not terribly late. Trouble can be found day or night.

Always follow safe practices no matter where you go. Remember where you parked. Be mindful of your surroundings. I always try to carry my keys in my hand. If possible go with a friend or a group.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 8

I was at the park during the state fair last year, when it did get somewhat dark.  Was nice to see it at night.  Never felt unsafe at all.  Saw parents with little kids, plenty of park staff, security and off duty police officers.

Being that I was only in the park one time when it was SFKK, I can't attest personally to the unsafe atmosphere.  But I have never felt unsafe in my visits last year.

• Like 2

I have a few questions concerning the neighborhood around KK and how to approach it.  Should I be hiding valuables inside my car?  Also, if I choose to go on one of their 9 pm closings, should I be leaving prior to that?

You should always hide valuables anywhere your car is parked.

• Like 4

I was at the park during the state fair last year, when it did get somewhat dark. Was nice to see it at night. Never felt unsafe at all. Saw parents with little kids, plenty of park staff, security and off duty police officers.

Being that I was only in the park one time when it was SFKK, I can't attest personally to the unsafe atmosphere. But I have never felt unsafe in my visits last year.

The State Fair draws a very different crowd and has a great deal more (and arguably better trained) security than the park does the rest of the year.

• Like 3

You mean "reported" attendance by two private companies who benefit from making sure that number is as high as possible without sounding too unrealistic. KI generates a solid majority of its business from pass holders and return visits. Kentucky Kingdom used to when six flags flew above its entrance (and didn't bother investing much because those local pass holders kept returning). Holiday World and KK are only a threat in that they may possibly prevent some consumers from traveling up 71 to Kings Island.

However, even when Six Flags still operated KK, they abandoned plans to be any direct threat to KI and instead just focused on the local market. After "Twisted Sisters/Twins debuted, you stopped seeing Six Flags adverts in the Cincinnati market.

You'll never convert Holiday World pass holders into KI holders several hours up the road, so I doubt KI is too concerned with Koch family drama world.

In short, the "two million" (through the gate per year, not entirely separate individuals) are probably more like a fly buzzing hours down I-71. Cedar Fair probably keeps an eye on it, but probably doesn't care, if anything, they're more curious about Holiday World and probably just chuckling at KK when they're not asking: "that park is open again?"

• Like 3