Kentucky Kingdom

It's September, and no new ride has been announced. In fact, nothing that could be deemed "new" has been teased, announced, nor "Tweeted" out. Even though this isn't too surprising, I was at least expecting a new small flat ride, or maybe a new show. But hey, at least it seems like they will be around for next year.

This is the same park that makes announcements at midnight during the middle of the week, in fall. We're not talking about the brightest PR people here.

Actually, Storm Chaser was announced in June, not the fall.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

But when KK was coming back in 2014, the announcement, particularly for Lightning Run and season pass sales, was made at the time I described.  

• Like 6

I know that decrease in state fair attendance is not good but it truly was due to weather. The Indiana State Fair experienced a 20% drop in attendance from 2015. I know I usually go to the Indiana State Fair multiple days of the 2 weeks its opened. I only went during one day this year because it was either rainy most of the day or it was 90+ degrees with high humidity. Attendance numbers could've been even lower if it weren't for the last day of the fair. The day I went to the Indiana State Fair was the day everyone else went as well. It was the last operational day and the weather was picture perfect. Low 80s, partly cloudy, and almost no humidity. They set a new Sunday attendance record (83,000 people came through the gates) most likely due to the fact everyone stayed away because the weather was awful the entire time the fair was opened. I don't believe the 6% drop for Kentucky is as gloomy as everyone is trying to make it seem. Especially when another state fair only 2 hours away saw a drop in attendance 333% larger than what was seen in Kentucky. Honestly one could say that maybe KK was the reason why there wasn't such a drastic drop in fair attendance because they attracted people to their park and the fair.

http://www.wthr.com/article/rainy-weather-hurts-attendance-at-2016-indiana-state-fair

http://fox59.com/2016/08/22/state-fair-closes-with-record-attendance-sunday-overall-attendance-down-nearly-20-percent-from-2015/

http://wishtv.com/2016/08/21/indiana-state-fair-wraps-up-with-day-of-sun-fun/

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2016/08/22/weather-punishes-indiana-state-fair-attendance/89092768/

• Like 5

It's September, and no new ride has been announced. In fact, nothing that could be deemed "new" has been teased, announced, nor "Tweeted" out. Even though this isn't too surprising, I was at least expecting a new small flat ride, or maybe a new show. But hey, at least it seems like they will be around for next year.

This is the same park that makes announcements at midnight during the middle of the week, in fall.  We're not talking about the brightest PR people here.  

I understand that but even still, to publish after sales for 2017 passes is a BAD move.

In response to some of Terp's comments, some of my own pet peeves.

What is there to DO at the fair? Nothing that makes me get "giddy" for it, because it is the same old thing time after time.

Not to mention the convention hall being dated, as it is, and needs serious renovation in some of the terribly tiny exhibition halls. It's a serious issue for the park and the state board to get a hold of.

In my opinion, I would in all honesty raze the convention hall (producing more space for the park), or move the park. There is no room to grow, and if there is, height is limited to a T. Move the park to Lexington or some place in between Cincy, Louisville, and Lexington, as it seems to have a small foot print to begin with.

Sure, I've been told this and that about the future of this park, but serious changes with serious tactical moves needs to happen and quick for the future of both the fair and the park.

• Like 2

The park rent is well below market because of its location. The Fair Board sought operators to operate in this location. By all accounts, Mr. Hart & Company had the only somewhat responsive bid.

Six Flags, having massively invested in Kentucky Kingdom at first, quit doing so, and instead massively did so in Ohio, largely because of KK's location. Melinda Ashcraft transferred to SFOG after Six Flags stopped massive Kentucky investment.

The original Kentucky Kingdom went bankrupt largely due to the park's location.

Location, location, location.

The location hasn't changed.

After the thrill of new coasters is gone, can Kentucky Kingdom make it where it is without massive reinvestments each year?

We are about to find out, sooner or later...

• Like 6

Indeed KK is in a poor location, they are in direct competition with Holiday World. My only suggestion for Ed Hart & Co. Would be to invest heavily into the waterpark. While they may never supplant Holiday World's fantastic waterpark. If they do enough people might forgo making the hour and a half drive to Holiday World when they have KK in their backyard.. Coney Island and The Beach Waterpark manage to survive with KI in direct competition and I believe it's due to their respective water parks that have much to do with that.

• Like 2

Honestly I don't get the rave that Holiday Worlds water park gets. As far as kids areas go they have clone playgrounds and what looks like a splash zone. Their lazy river is entirely in the sun with no seclusion, their newest attraction for Splashin Safari is the Hyena, which really isn't that great, the only thing Holiday Worlds waterpark has to offer that I haven't found anywhere else is the Zoombabwae.

Mammoth is large, that it has going for it, thrilling? No more than any other water slide. Wildebeest is far more thrilling I will admit to forgetting about them though as the last two times I went

Wildebeest was down all day and Mammoth had intermittent down time.

• Like 1

Honestly I don't get the rave that Holiday Worlds water park gets. As far as kids areas go they have clone playgrounds and what looks like a splash zone. Their lazy river is entirely in the sun with no seclusion, their newest attraction for Splashin Safari is the Hyena, which really isn't that great, the only thing Holiday Worlds waterpark has to offer that I haven't found anywhere else is the Zoombabwae.

It's the variety mixed with the "homey" atmosphere Holliday World is known for. Wildebeest and Mammoth are the best of two different but same aspects in the water slide industry. Wildebeest is for the airtime and speed, while Mammoth is a family thrill attraction that feeds off of its' size. Hyena Falls is an excellent slide complex that delivers various slide experiences. With some classic slides and the actually lazy river it's a solid waterpark. One thing that my family adores about HW Splashin' Safari is the fact that it actually has a lazy river, that you could relax in. That's something that is an huge draw for guests, not to mention the park atmosphere. Free drinks mixed with friendly people who have fun doing their jobs with some incredible coasters makes Splashin' Safari a premier source for water slides in our area. If you aren't impressed with the wall, I don't know what KK's waterpark could impress you with because that slide is awesome.

• Like 8

If it's a KK vs HW in my opinion, HW spanks KK's Water Coasters. However, I find that KK has a more relaxed lazy river vs HW as it seems fairly secluded with the bamboo that grows. Wikiwiki wai and Hyena falls do about that same amount of entertainment for me. HW has two family slides (watubee and Zoombabwae, think I spelled correctly) while KK has the Summit Plummit. Both offer proslide funnel slides in both the "cone" and "toilet bowl". KK has classic slide complex mt slide hai while HW has OttoRonGo. Both have the dump bucket playgrounds. Both have a smaller kids area though I'll give HW the win due to the size of theirs. HW has Jungle Racer while KK has no contest. KK has speed slide complex with the nations tallest body slide (and now due to the misfortune in Kansas the tallest operating slide in America) while HW has no contest. Both parks have 2 wave pools to boast. Attraction for attraction, KK isn't really outmatched, some could argue that these watermarks are all but even. Now as far as atmosphere of the park HW wins hands down and nothing will change that unless KK management changes how they deal with employees.

• Like 7

^^ During my first visit to KK, I was shocked at how large the water park was at KK. The variety of rides were very good as well. I honestly thought that the water park at KK is just below, if not even, to the level of HW. Like others have mentioned the only thing that separates KK and HW from both the wet and dry sides is the atmosphere. HW has such a welcoming and feeling of home while KK just lacks that super warm atmosphere. Outside of that, IMO, the water parks are very similar.

• Like 6

With the amount of workers around when I was there...I imagine they still make a few dollars at the gates after paying workers. I seriously saw one guy working two games and a dude who was cooking at two restaurants...

::Rimshots galore::...but...kinda.

Guy running Storm Chaser was also running Mile High...AT THE SAME TIME!

He was a little out of breath. A little flustered.

Alright...

I've made my point. I will stop...there.

How is one person operating two rides simultaneously even legal??  That has to be at least top 3 in the list of the absolute stupidest things that clown has pulled yet!

This is common with children's rides, but for coasters that is insane.

• Like 2

^ I interpreted Existential's comment in that regard as exaggeration. I do hope he wasn't being literal about that.

Yea it really does not make sense at all, then again the park does some crazy things but I don't think this is one of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

A question about the park. What is the rain policy there as far as rides go (shut down for rain, lightning, etc)?

During the two days I was there it stormed with lightning. They do the standard protocol of shutting down rides with lightning in the area. I think both times the park was shut down but they allowed you to sit outside like every other park and they opened the park after a 30 minutes delay and completing ride test cycles. As for rain only they let all of the rides operate. I will say it wasn't a downpour but it was a steady rainfall.

• Like 2

When we went earlier this summer, they didn't reopen the water park after a thunderstorm rolled through. I believe it was 5pm when they announced their waterpark would close...it's normal closing time that day was 6pm. The dry side opened back up, though, and ran until closing time...7pm, if I recall.

• Like 1

There was a severe thunderstorm warning. Generally speaking all rides in any park will close for that. I remember being in line for Flight of Fear during a storm, at the beginning they were running it, but once the severe thunderstorm was issued the ride shut down.

• Like 2

I was at KK yesterday, and I think it was pretty cool. Obviously it was kind of sketchy, but if you go in not expecting much after reading the abundance of negative comments in this thread you come out pretty surprised. Lightning Run and Storm Chaser convinced me that I am getting old. Those rides kicked my butt and after 6 rides on each, my thighs are bruised. 

• Like 3

KK's Facebook just posted that "The Golden Ticket awards are presented annually to honor the "Best of the Best" in the amusement industry. We are THRILLED to announce that Kentucky Kingdom's Storm Chaser was ranked the #2 best New amusement park attraction of 2016!"

Is there any credibility to this? I didn't watch the awards but I don't see how this is possible with all of the additions this year. Seems like another Indy Star article claiming KK the best amusement park.